Blackhawk size gun safe?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lshines

Bearcat
Please recommend a "gun safe" for my 3 Ruger Blackhawks (one Single Six Bisley). All are Bisley models. There might be a fourth soon - so a "revolver safe" should have room for 4. Or 2 (and I'll buy 2 safes).

contender

Ruger Guru
I know nobody has offered a brand or type of safe here. But when it comes to security for a firearm,, I'd study HARD every brand,, and especially ALL the features offered.
Many tout their fire rating,, but most have a similar one. But look at actual construction. How is the box itself built? How thick? What kind of steel? (Cold rolled or hardened?) are but a few things to look at besides the touted "locking bolt systems" or whatever. Most knowledgeable thieves know that MANY gun safes can be overcome easily by using an electric skil saw,, with a reverse carbide blade to peel away the sides or back of the safe. They never bother with the door or lock system.

One of the things I saw a friend do long ago,, was he bought a name brand safe. He then added an extra layer of seriously hard steel onto the outside of it. Next,, he installed it in a place where accessing the sides, top, & back would be very time consuming. He had worked in a metal shop.
No problems there.

Another friend bought an older, used, but still very serviceable safe from a bank re-model. Took a crane to set it in his house as the addition was being constructed. He worked for a company & he operated the crane. It'll never leave that house.

But in general,, the best systems many now use, are to build a walk in vault room. Especially if they have new construction going on. Pour concrete & steel lined walls, & ceiling. Add a good quality vault door, and you are secure against most things ever.

At SHOT,, many years ago,, I discussed safes, vaults etc at length with a company that built truly great safes & vault doors. That & other such secure options for homes.

Look up "VaultPro" in California.
After I'd spoken with them,, I saw a friend,, (now deceased,) Jeff Quinn of "GunBlast" fame. He & I discussed a vault, and I told him about VaultPro. I do believe he went to them & had his vault door done by them. And if I recall correctly,, they have a variety of top quality products that may be what you seek.

There's no such thing as an uncrackable safe. Enough time and the right tools will get into anything. It's mostly how it's secured. Even one of the Sheetmetal lockboxes bolted securely on 2 sides will stop casual thieves without tools. My problem is that there are more tools than guns laying around.

Latest posts