Any love for M77/22's with open sights here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Who else here likes their M77/22 to wear open sights?

I have found over the years, I enjoy shooting most guns, the M77/22 included, using open sights rather than a scope. I am not against scopes; I just enjoy using open sights more.

When the M77/22 first came to my attention many years ago, open sight models were easy to find. I "think" in the beginning all M77/22's had open sights. Over the years, open sights were dropped from the model line-up with all the M77/22's becoming "slick barreled", ready for a scope.

From time-to-time, Ruger seemed to accommodate us open sight users by producing a run of M77/22's that included open sights installed on the barrel right from the factory.

Does any one know when the last run of these open sight M77/22's were made? I picked one up a couple of years ago, and am not sure if that was the latest run or if there has been a run since then.

In any event, for any open sighted M77/22 fans out there, there is one listed on Gunbroker right now (listing #462583085).

Long live the M77/22 with open sights!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I have both and do like the open sights! Mine is a second year 77/22 according to the serial number and manufacture dates from rugers website. It has the butt plate instead of a rubber pad. I prefer the looks of the older ones like that.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
rugerjunkie said:
It has the butt plate instead of a rubber pad. I prefer the looks of the older ones like that.
Although mine has the rubber pad, I also prefer the look of the butt plate.

If I found a nice older one, I might be tempted!

contender

Ruger Guru
A buddy of mine had one that I used to borrow & use at a turkey shoot. Won quite a bit with his gun,,, until it was stolen.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Not a 77/22, but I have a Norinco JW-15 set up with open sights, and a Remington 581 set up with nice peeps. I like them both.

57springer

Buckeye
All guns should come with open sights and let the owner remove them if they like , That's why I still like the old ones better!

R1895

Bearcat
My 1984 77/22 wears open sights and I love the looks and the fact that they're there. However, over the years, (decades) I've found that my eyes have gotten to detest most factory supplied open sights. With that to deal with, some of my rifles wear aftermarket receiver sights but, most have scopes. Thus, both of my 77/22s wear scopes.

Along the same lines, all of my #1s are equipped with factory sights as I prefer but, they all wear scopes as well.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Sights are a necessity for a proper rifle to my eye, although like others my ability to use them went away some years ago, glass is now necessary.

Latest posts