all around carry gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimd441 said:
+2 for the LCRx with 3" barrel and adjustable sights. It only weighs 15.7 oz. which is really nice for carry.

Jim
A couple of years ago I fondled an LCRx with the 3 inch barrel, but I am on a fixed income, and didn't buy ( I was also out of town). If it had been in .357 mag it would have been home in a heart beat. As it is, I should probably have bought it. Good luck with your quest. I have not heard anything bad about the LCRx.
gramps

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Perhaps the best suggestion has been to try one, whatever it is, even if he doesn't shoot it, just holding it and seeing if it fits his hand and is concealable enough for him is important. The short answer is that there is no one gun that will conceal easily and be a good field piece, especially if you're dealing with large predators.

Is he set on a revolver, or does he feel comfortable using a pistol? As a woods guns, what's his main concern, two-legged or four-legged threats? If four-legged, of what variety?

There's no easy answer. Without knowing some of the answers to the questions above, I'd say a 3" GP100 with adjustable sights (or the Novak driftable sight), or a 3" SP101 with similar sights. If there are large predators involved, then maybe a 4" .44, or a Glock 20 or 29 (which for me is a little tough to shoot).

The best advice is to try it, if possible.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Every one of those are great suggestions. Adding mine - one of these with a 3" or even a 4" barrel....

9233594a4dbad1dc14dbbd8c07daae34e53604b.JPG

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Please don't let him buy a Taurus or, worse, Charter Arms. Maybe you can help him find a used Ruger GP100 or SP101, or S&W 686 online; maybe even on Gunbroker or one of the smaller auction sites. If he'll be dealing with black bears, cougars, and wild hogs, he'll need at least a .357.

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
I really like the S&W 60-4 3", depending on what else he plans on doing. The Ruger BH 45 Colt 4
5/8's would be a great all around good gun with the right holster. Been
toting my 60-4
for 15+ years.

MG-70 said:
Please don't let him buy a Taurus or, worse, Charter Arms. Maybe you can help him find a used Ruger GP100 or SP101, or S&W 686 online; maybe even on Gunbroker or one of the smaller auction sites. If he'll be dealing with black bears, cougars, and wild hogs, he'll need at least a .357.
I have never had a Taurus. I have had, and still have a Charter Arms. They were all good .38 spcl snubs x3, and .44 spcl snubs x2. I think the LCRx is probably better, but not by much.
gramps

eveled

Hawkeye
RSIno1 said:
I like my S&W 642 for easy all around carry. Not going to stop a bear but I'll be able to run faster since it's light.

With $650 as my ccw budget, I'd get two s&w 442's. Same as the 642 above but black. Of all my choices the 442 gets carried most and two of them are perfect in jacket pockets to balance each other.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
boomer92266 said:
i have a friend here in kentucky that got his conceal license and is looking for an all around carry gun. he is on a fixed income and has been saving and has $650 right now, he wants a gun he can carry concealed but also a gun he can use open carry in the woods hiking and camping. i knew most everyone on here would know more than me on a handgun, i have over 35 years on long guns but only about 8 years with handguns. he also only wants revolvers, thanks for any help.

Sounds inexperienced so a simple DA/SA revolver is best. Look for a 3-4" 357Magnum and stuff it with the best 38SPL factory ammo available.
Don't overlook a best-quality holster with retention, a pre-paid legal services plan, and NRA membership - as a minimum.
Then accompany him to a decent handgun training course.

As a Ruger fan, I'd recommend a GP-100 with as short a barrel as the user is comfortable with. The Match Champion is a good carry package. I would also suggest he look at one of the SR series semi-autos as well. Much easier to carry & conceal for most people, higher round capacity and lighter weight.
It's going to make a world of difference if he can identify what his main use is going to be, and the situation he is most like to have to use it. Small and short aren't always the best for carry, and he is going to have to be comfortable with shooting many practice rounds with it.
I carry a SP-101 with 38 +P when out walking, but would go bigger if it was an all purpose gun for country use as in camping or trail hiking. Then it would probably be my Blackhawk in 44spl on a belt cowboy style holster.
Juat my 2c.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Don't overlook the Rossi 461/462. It is an excellent revolver for the money and can use .357's. All steel and about the same size as an SP-101, even uses the same holsters. I have one with a 3" tube and it is great.

Mus408

Hunter
Don't be scared of choosing the Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special.
With 3 inch barrel it is a nice light weight for .44 carry gun.
I have one and love it and it shoots very well plus you would have plenty cash left over for holster and ammo.

lgriff1968

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
I have one and love it and it shoots very well plus you would have plenty cash left over for holster and ammo.
+1

When I carry a five shot revolver, it is either a Charter Arms Bulldog .44spl, with Winchester Silvertips or 200gr cast SWCs at 900/1000fps, or, a Ruger LCR .38+p with Remington 125gr JHPs. Both revolvers carry well for me for extended periods.

If I had to choose between the Ruger and Charter in "38spl +p", I would go for the Ruger for two reasons; 1) for me, the LCR has a better action, and, 2) the Ruger has better trade/resale value. If neither of these are personal issues/considerations, then I believe it would be a toss-up, depending on feel and appearance to the individual, as I doubt you would wear out either one under the normal shooting these small revolvers are meant for. I have no need for the LCR in .357 as my Police Service Six fills that need.

Mus408

Hunter
MoPrepper said:
Mus408 said:
+1

When I carry a five shot revolver, it is either a Charter Arms Bulldog .44spl, with Winchester Silvertips or 200gr cast SWCs at 900/1000fps, or, a Ruger LCR .38+p with Remington 125gr JHPs. Both revolvers carry well for me for extended periods.

If I had to choose between the Ruger and Charter in "38spl +p", I would go for the Ruger for two reasons; 1) for me, the LCR has a better action, and, 2) the Ruger has better trade/resale value. If neither of these are personal issues/considerations, then I believe it would be a toss-up, depending on feel and appearance to the individual, as I doubt you would wear out either one under the normal shooting these small revolvers are meant for. I have no need for the LCR in .357 as my Police Service Six fills that need.

Hmmm.... you must be watching what my "in town" carry is!! Yeah I swap out between the Bulldog and my LCR .357. When it is hot outside I carry the LCR under the T shirt! 200 gr. Gold Dots @ 830-850 FPS for the Dog.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
I shoulder holstered the 44mag RedHawks for years. The 5 1/2" barrel in the summertime and the 7 1/2" barrel in the winter time. I wore a dress shirt out of my pants to hide the shoulder holster under my leather jacket at night on my bike. I was never without my 44's. In between I ccw a 1911/45acp, security six 357.