Accurate .38 special loads?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I'm looking for suggestions for an accurate target load in .38 special. Here's my problem. At the range where I shoot, we get into informal handgun competitions which involve shooting small objects (such as wooden clothes pins) off the fence at 25 yards, and sorta small objects (clay birds) off the 100 yard berm.

The rub here is that two or three of the other shooters are quite a bit better than I am, and if I'm not doing well they shoot everything down before I hit anything. ( :( )

So, I figure I need all the help I can get. I have good revolvers, with good triggers. If I can settle on an accurate load to shoot, then all I can do is continue to work hard on my shooting.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Put a target up and shoot at that with a rest. Develop a good load for your gun and practice. I think for short range you might try HP-38 and a 147gr wadcutter but for 100 yards I would use a +P load and a 158gr XTP bullet.

mikld

Blackhawk
Clay target hits at 50 yds are quite impressive. Hits at 100 yds are not impossible, but I'd say very rare! Besides finding other friends that aren't so selfish, I'd go with HBWC for the close shooting and maybe a 158-160 gr SWC for longer distances and practice, practice, practice. Light loads of a fast powder (Bullseye or 231) for the HBWC and medium loads with a Unique "type" powder with a SWC. You'll have to find a charge that works in your gun although some manuals indicate a "theoretical most accurate load"...

wwb

Hunter
Sorry that it isn't really all that helpful, but what works best in your gun is what works best in your gun. What works best in mine may not be so good in yours. Try several different bullet types and loads to determine the most accurate load, shooting from a rock-solid rest - that will take as much human error out as possible. If you have access to a Ransom rest, use that.

LAH

Buckeye
Dave's load above is normally a very accurate load but I use a good lead round nose for such purposes.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
3.25gr of Bullseye with 158g SWC LOXor
3.5 gr of TrailBoss with 158g SWC LOX

Both get under 1" or better at 25 yards for me. These are some of the most accurate loads I shoot in any caliber. Model 19 scoped 6" and model 14 with 8"

Prescut
Sorry, unbelievable as it seems to me, I did not chrono those loads.

I was just going to load some 38's today. I like 3.5 grains of 700x. The last few times I've loaded that and it's done pretty well for me.

If there are some shooters st your range who are better, might I suggest more practice on your part? Not to by a wise acre or anything... believe me, I couldn't hit a clothes pin at 25 yards.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
Shooting bullseye competition , my load was 148 gr. WC over 2.7 gr. of bullseye in a 6" S&W m586 L frame. Very accurate and no recoil to speak of.

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
Wadcutters aren't accurate much beyond 50yds. Especially hollow base, as they destabilize due to twist rate.

For an accurate, non+p .38 spl, I'd use a Zero brand round nose over 4.0-4.3gr of HP38/Win231. Second choice is 3.6gr Bullseye, followed by 4.5gr of Unique. SWC's are alright, but for pure accuracy the RN's are hard to beat, but don't cut as clean of a hole in paper or flesh.

Drop and wind drift will be less at 100yds with a +P level load. Here, I'd go with 4.8gr #231/HP38, 5.4gr Unique or 4.5gr Universal. Accuracy may suffer in some guns.

Nothing however beats a 148gr HBWC to 50yds, over 2.9gr #231/HP38 followed closely by 2.6-2.8gr Bullseye. I've won many PPC matches with a158gr SWC over 3.2gr #231 in Service/Distinguished matches. These loads will drop like a thrown rock at 100yds, however.

There is a technique where you determine how much extra front sight you need for holdover at long range. Use a lead pencil and straight edge to mark the hold over on the sight. This was kind of the idea behind red ramp front sight.
Good luck. And remember, the 3 tricks to good shootin are: dry fire, dry fire, dry fire...

Shaggy357

Bearcat
You didn't mention gun or barrel length. I have several 38 loads that have done well for me. 158SWC over 5.0 Unique, 125 jacketed HP over AA#5. This last load is one I used for my daughters when they learned to shoot the .357. Also loaded up a box for my dad when he purchased a Taurus 38 with stubby barrel.

Steve :)

olskool

Bearcat
if you are shooting objects and not shooting groups then a super accurate load is not going to help you. what will is practice. if that don't help nothing will. the best load I have ever tried is with unique powder.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
My suggestion is get a load that works well for you, whatever that is in your case, and then practice, practice, practice....

Especially practicing trigger control with minimizing any appreciable twitching or flinching........Sounds easy, but difficult to do each and every time....

Bayou5252

daveg.inkc

Hunter
bayou5252 said:
My suggestion is get a load that works well for you, whatever that is in your case, and then practice, practice, practice....

Especially practicing trigger control with minimizing any appreciable twitching or flinching........Sounds easy, but difficult to do each and every time....

Bayou5252
Dry fire!! A shooter should dry fire as much as live ammo! Watch and control front sight. I do this on light switch in my recliner.

olskool

Bearcat
as others said the flinching is the part to beat, it is a mental thing. when you lick that then you will be a shooter,,,,,

27 Man

Bearcat
For ranges out to 50 yards try 148 WC and 2.7 BE. Past that, I use 158 SWC and 5.0 Unique. For that 100 yard game you guys play, I would use a .357 magnum with a 158 SWC and 21 grains of 2400. I don't use that magnum load in any of my K frames. Use a L or N frame.

LAH

Buckeye
27 Man said:
For that 100 yard game you guys play, I would use a .357 magnum with a 158 SWC and 21 grains of 2400.

Sounds like a big load.

Latest posts