5.56 Scout rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Jeff Quinn has a review of the new 5.56 Scout rifle at Gunblast.com. NATO chamber , 1 in 8" twist barrel, AI magazine, and the rest is just like the 7.62 model. Using the AI magazine is not going to help sales, in my opinion. Bob! 8)

96/44

Blackhawk
It's a neat idea, and probably very well built. I just don't see it being a big seller with proprietary mags, and an MSRP almost twice that of the Mossberg MVP (which takes any AR-15 mag).

cubrock

Blackhawk
I just saw that. My first thought was that they should have made it to take Mini-14 mags. Or, even better, military M16 mags/PMags. I would probably get one if there was mag interchangeability with some other platform.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I had forgotten about using a Mini-14 magazine. That would have been factory Ruger and with compact and readily available mags. The Mossberg MVP is a hard act to follow. Bob! 8)

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I think my next long gun will be a scout but I'll stick with the 308 deer or whatever gun no limits.

IlikeIke

Bearcat
rangerbob said:
Jeff Quinn has a review of the new 5.56 Scout rifle at Gunblast.com. NATO chamber , 1 in 8" twist barrel, AI magazine, and the rest is just like the 7.62 model. Using the AI magazine is not going to help sales, in my opinion. Bob! 8)
So is this the unannounced firearm of the contest, or what?

What a bummer, the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is modeled after the scout concept espoused by Jeff Cooper as an all purpose rifle with numerous qualities the Ruger does possess some but not all. He was adamant that the scout could not and should not be in 223/5.56 caliber...Steyr did the same thing and it pissed him off to no end...Ruger can do what it wants of course but why the heck didn't they use Mini 14 or SR556 mags?

They now manufacture 3 magazine fed rifles that take three different mag designs, not exactly customer friendly...

I am underwhelmed. Now a 308 Mini Would have made me smile instead of a $1000.00 bolt action 223, it will sell I guess so Ruger will be happy, my guess is they based this on responses to the voice of the customer survey...

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
I saw that Mossberg has many patents on using the AR style box fed semi magazines. Maybe this has something to do with Rugers "mistake"on using the "odd ball" magazines.

Hip Shot

bentblade

Single-Sixer
You know for 248 views and only 9 posts I would say people are pretty much underwhelmed.

black029

Single-Sixer
Well, it's not like they pulled the .308 model from the lineup. If you are determined to be a stickler for Cooper's parameters, have at it. But I'd like a mag fed quality bolt .223/5.56 ( they got that part right: it shoots both) and am not crazy about Mossbergs. I didn't call Ruger or dream aloud about a Scout .223 on this Forum, but I'll buy one. I suspect polymer mags will appear (it's a shame P mags don't work, but not a deal breaker) and a few of those will suffice.
For me, setting a short LOP and shooting .223 are the keys.

DGW1949

Hunter
Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of a single reason that I'd want a 30-rd AR mag hanging out the bottom of what is otherwise, a short, handy sized, carbine. To my way of thinking, what Ruger's 5.56 Scout could use instead, is a built-in stripper clip guide.

DGW

cubrock

Blackhawk
A GI or PMAG 20-rounder wouldn't stick out any more than the mag that is on it. Or a 20-round Mini-14 mag. Might even stick out less. Plus, any of those other mags will already fit in pouches/gear I already have, plus I already have a ton of them and wouldn't need to buy any extra mags for it. Mag interchangeability would have about guaranteed I'd buy one. Would be a dandy, handy little bolt gun to carry around. As it is, I'll pass.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of a single reason that I'd want a 30-rd AR mag hanging out the bottom of what is otherwise, a short, handy sized, carbine. To my way of thinking, what Ruger's 5.56 Scout could use instead, is a built-in stripper clip guide.

DGW

10 & 20 round AR mags are available. I would much rather have a 10 round Pmag than this.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
What a bummer, the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is modeled after the scout concept espoused by Jeff Cooper as an all purpose rifle with numerous qualities the Ruger does possess some but not all. He was adamant that the scout could not and should not be in 223/5.56 caliber...
You beat me to it. A "scout," by definition, has to be in an all-around, do-nearly-anything caliber such as .308 or something close to it. There's no such thing as a "5.56 scout rifle." It's like a handgun "ghost ring" sight--it doesn't exist. :evil:

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
Nh Rugerman said:
What a bummer, the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is modeled after the scout concept espoused by Jeff Cooper as an all purpose rifle with numerous qualities the Ruger does possess some but not all. He was adamant that the scout could not and should not be in 223/5.56 caliber...
You beat me to it. A "scout," by definition, has to be in an all-around, do-nearly-anything caliber such as .308 or something close to it. There's no such thing as a "5.56 scout rifle." It's like a handgun "ghost ring" sight--it doesn't exist. :evil:

I don't disagree with you as to the basic platform and caliber.

They do make ghost ring pistol sights by the way..... http://www.handgunsmag.com/blogs/carry-on/ghost-ring-pistol-sights/

Hip Shot

Snake45

Hawkeye
HIP SHOT said:
They do make ghost ring pistol sights by the way..... http://www.handgunsmag.com/blogs/carry-on/ghost-ring-pistol-sights/

Hip Shot
If they're calling them "ghost rings," they're unclear on the concept. They're aperture or peep sights, period. You can't (or wouldn't want to) shoot a handgun close enough to your eye for the sight to "ghost" out, which is the whole idea of the thing. :roll:

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Ho hum- a decent looking rifle but the lack of AR magazine is a killer for me.