Ruger Scout Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I got a new stainless synthetic Gunsite Scout, model 6829 on Monday. I had a laminated scout with 18" barrel and sold it a while back. I really like how much lighter this one feels. Between the muzzle brake and the soft recoil pad it is a joy to shoot. I will probably remove the brake and just put the thread protector cap (which is included) on it. Also, instead of one metal magazine it came with two polymer 10 rounders. I prefer them over the steel.

I mounted a Vortex 2-7 scout scope on top. I tried 5 loads yesterday and was very happy. Four loads shot under inch at 100. These were Rem factory 180 gr CoreLokts, Reloads with 165 gr Speer bullets, Reloads with 150 gr Barnes tipped and Barnes factory 130 grain tipped. The 130 grain shot right at 0.5". It didn't love Hornady 150 gr whitetail loads, shooting just under 2". When it quits raining I have a bunch more loads to try and chronograph. I wasn't sure how I would like the scout scope but so far so good. On my last one I used a traditional scope and a red dot.

Well yea, plywood is heavy what with all the resins and compression used in it's production. Amazing how the firearms makers have convinced many that "laminate" wood is better than solid wood. Heck, the whole idea of plywood stocks ws to make firearms during wartime cheaper.

Laminate stocks can take a licking and keep on ticking. IIRC, the theory behind the 'Scout Rifle' was based on a general purpose rifle that would be kept within easy reach in any sort of environment. A perfect scenario for laminate vs real wood.

If you want weather resistance synthetic has it all over plywood. Just as ugly and should be cheaper if actual manufacturing costs are looked at, not the premium manufacturers charge.

Folks have been conned by manufacturers to believe an inferior product is somehow better.

I have wonder how much of the defense of plywood is simply that folks have bought them and are now trying to justify (to themselves as much as anyone else) a poor decision.

gunzo

Hunter
Thanks for the report RR. I have a Scout, but haven't tried different loads yet. Just zeroed, & started having fun at various ranges.
Some bullets I want to try & hope to use are still scarce, so in the mean time I've accumulated brass, & made a few minor mods to the gun.
Not near as active as I used to be outdoors, but still like the Scout or semi scout concept, I always have. I say semi-scout as I use a conventionally mounted scope. Just handy & versatile rifles.

The short barrel and scout scope made offhand shots very doable. I have spare red dots and traditional scopes I may swap back and forth, but for now I'm happy with the scout concept.

I still have quite a few different factory loads and reloads to try. I have a super accurate American in 308 and hopefully they will both like the same loads.

I also have owned two Ruger Scout rifles, and now own one, the stainless/synthetic model.
RU6804.jpg
Inked-P1040618-LI.jpg

I don't use any of the "Scout" features. I removed the forward rail and installed a high power scope, conventionally. I removed the muzzle device and replaced it with a thread protector. I wish the threads were not there at all. And I use either a 3 or 5 round magazine.

So why would I buy such a rifle and remove the Scout features? Because as just a hunting rifle, with the extremely short but stout barrel, it fits my needs, mostly. I like short barrels. But I still see myself parting with this rifle. It of course has a removable magazine. I would prefer it to have an internal box magazine.

So until my dream gun materializes, I will continue to keep this Scout Rifle, and juggle it back and forth with my stainless/synthetic Ultralight in .30-06.

On the other hand, if a person wants such a Scout rifle as-is, I can think of no better choice.

Last edited:

gunzo

Hunter
I have a buttstock pouch on mine that I keep an extra loaded mag in. It also carries the rear peep sight & its wrench. I found a 50 cent piece fits the ring mount screw slots perfectly & offers a surprising amount of torque, easily able to loosen the nuts.
Not quite traditional scout but keeping close, in case of optic failure the peep can be in use in less than a couple minutes.

Mentioning the extra mag makes me think of the controlled round feed. Not such a good thing with a detachable magazine IMO. If the mag is lost or broken it's very hard to get a shell in the chamber. Ya can't just drop one in , the extractor won't ride over it & allow the bolt to close. Seems to me a cartridge will have to be hooked into the bolt & guided to the chamber without a mag,,,,? Therefor, I see it important to have a spare mag on hand. Just a thought on the platform.

gunzo

Hunter
FWIW, The but pad screw long enough to accommodate all the spacers. I one or more spacers are removed the screws take quite a while to remove/replace. I wanted to experiment with the spacers so I went to the hardware store & picked up pairs of screws in 2 or 3 shorter lengths. Saves time when changing the number of spacers.

And,,,,,, hey sharpblade, what brand & capacity are your mags. They look longer than 3 round Ruger, & shorter than 5 round Magpul.

FWIW, The but pad screw long enough to accommodate all the spacers. I one or more spacers are removed the screws take quite a while to remove/replace. I wanted to experiment with the spacers so I went to the hardware store & picked up pairs of screws in 2 or 3 shorter lengths. Saves time when changing the number of spacers.

And,,,,,, hey sharpblade, what brand & capacity are your mags. They look longer than 3 round Ruger, & shorter than 5 round Magpul.
They are Ruger polymer. I got two 3 round, two 5 round and two 10 round. Both guns came with the 10 round steel mags which I don't much care for.

I don't care for the metal mags either, so I was glad to see the new ones shipped with two polymer mags instead of the one steel.
Have company thru Sun, so won't get out again until next week. Going to compare velocities between my 22-inch American and the 16-inch scout.

gunzo

Hunter
My 10 round metal mag is basically in storage, it's kinda silly. As mentioned, a 3 in the gun & a 5 in the stock. Realized my Magpul 5's are longer than sharpblades 5's as the MP's are actually 6's if ya break off a small tab inside.
The Ruger 3 & the MP 5/6's.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Ruger Gunsite Scout is a great rifle. Have had mine for over 8 years now. I put a Yankee Hill Flash hider on it, not because I am going to impale any zombies or breach any doors, just looks bad ass.
Also added an XSLong Picatinny Rail as the ghost ring sight has a larger aperture than the original OEM. With a Burris P.E.P.R. Mount and a Burris XTR 1 x 6 mount I was good to go. Cal. .308, good for all around shooting if I ever want to get serious about it. Synthetic stock should last my offspring for a long time. At 7 lbs. unloaded, I can still handle it since it has an ez to manage short barrel.

Ruger Gunsite Scout.JPG

Latest posts