45acp Super BH Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:
Again, the freebore wouldn't be any different in a .44 mag cylinder than it is in the .45 LC cylinder.

Correct. Point is why would you want it at all? Reaming a 44 mag cylinder would result in the same accuracy issues. Sure it could be done but why bother?

Every "bad" thing would seem to be even worse in the .45 LC cylinder, yet the ACP works just fine there.

The 45 acp does not work fine in a 45 colt cylinder.

Not sure if you're saying it doesn't work at all, or if it doesn't work to your satisfaction. It does work (see the new .45 LC/.45 ACP Redhawk); I guess it's up to you to decide if the way it fires is "fine" or not. I find that it works perfectly well for my needs.

Correct. Point is why would you want it at all? Reaming a 44 mag cylinder would result in the same accuracy issues. Sure it could be done but why bother?

First, thank you for acknowledging that there doesn't seem to be any reason the OP could have a .44 cylinder rechambered and rebored to fire .45 ACP. We have transitioned from "you can't do that" to "why bother".

Why bother?

1. So he can shoot the same ammo out of both revolvers and, for example, a 1911. Less ammo to buy/load, store and tote to the range.
2. So he can shoot cheaper, more common ammo (i.e. shoot more!)
3. More shooting with any gun will help to develop all shooting skills.
4. Because he wants to!

If your goal is "utmost accuracy at any cost", then I agree that the .45 ACP in a longer cylinder isn't the way to go. However, I don't believe that most shooters are interested in getting the absolute smallest group possible every time we go to the range; we quite often shoot to have fun! If you can shoot a more common and less expensive round for fun in the same gun you shoot a more expensive round for "serious" shooting, why the heck not? I really don't understand why some of us seem to look down our noses at others because they have the audacity to dare fire a short cartridge in a long cylinder. Sure, accuracy will probably suffer. So what? Why do you find it necessary to cast aspersions at shooters whose desires and goals are different from yours?

NikA

Buckeye
I think you're missing the point here. The problem is not having a cylinder chambered in .45ACP. The problem is having one made from a cylinder already chambered in .44. There are at least 3 cylinders that can be easily chambered in .45ACP that won't have this accuracy problem: a factory .45ACP cylinder, a .357M cylinder, and a 9mm cylinder. Why, given similar cost and availability, would you go with something that is likely to produce results that are less good? Rechambering a cylinder from .357M to .45ACP shouldn't be significantly more expensive than what you're proposing, but it definitely won't have the freebore/throat issue.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
NikA said:
I think you're missing the point here. The problem is not having a cylinder chambered in .45ACP. The problem is having one made from a cylinder already chambered in .44. There are at least 3 cylinders that can be easily chambered in .45ACP that won't have this accuracy problem: a factory .45ACP cylinder, a .357M cylinder, and a 9mm cylinder. Why, given similar cost and availability, would you go with something that is likely to produce results that are less good? Rechambering a cylinder from .357M to .45ACP shouldn't be significantly more expensive than what you're proposing, but it definitely won't have the freebore/throat issue.

+1 ^^^^ !!!

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Nobody said you "can't" do it. I said that Bowen WON'T do it. Nor will most other smiths who stake their reputations on producing a quality product. I was just trying to help the OP out by recommending he NOT acquire a 44 cylinder to do a rechamber THAT NO REPUTABLE SMITH WILL DO and be out the money he spent on a useless cylinder. There are other cylinders that can be rechambered just fine. Damn, I give up, just go argue with yourself. Seems you get a pleasure out of it. I'm done.

s4s4u

Hunter
Why do you find it necessary to cast aspersions at shooters whose desires and goals are different from yours?

Aspersions? Facts are now aspersions? Whatever! Be happy with mediocrity if you will.

I give up, just go argue with yourself. Seems you get a pleasure out of it. I'm done.

What he said ^^^