454 super rh Lipseys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
But the difference between the .475 and the .480 is only ~2000psi. The length of the .475 would probably present a problem for the unmodified SRH with the heavyweights. Those 425's already fill the cylinder right up with the .480 case.

harley

Single-Sixer
This explains my origional thought exactly. If you had the 475 you could still shoot 480 loads but have the ability to go nuts if you want. 45 hot loads will do most of the time but when you want to go nuts 454.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
Great thread guys.
I have a 454 SRH and I love the gun but I'm just getting weary of the recoil. I've been throwing around the idea of trying to trade straight up for a 480 SRH. I like the idea of more manageable recoil and a bigger hole.

Now I just need to find someone to swap with ;)

22-rimfire

Bearcat
Yeah, it is a good discussion. I'm a 480 Ruger (SRH) owner and have no desire to shoot a 454 C. I have little desire to punish my body and you do pay eventually. I hope more people begin to see the utility of the 480 Ruger caliber and begin to understand you don't need a 454 Casull especially if you have other 357 mag+ revolvers. But nothing wrong with simply wanting one however and the Lipsey's SRH revolver certainly catches my eye.

22-rimfire

Bearcat
harley said:
This explains my origional thought exactly. If you had the 475 you could still shoot 480 loads but have the ability to go nuts if you want.

Pretty much my view. I'm looking forward to "going nuts" with the 475L in my BFR, but I suspect I will back it off to 480 Ruger after I get that thrill out of my system. I have little need for the 475L.

I have continued to buy factory Hornady 325 XTP's and I will eventually reload them. You might say I'm stocking up slowly. I don't shoot a gun like this every week.

The re-introduced SRH in 480 Ruger is a 6-shot like the original SRH.

bisley.dude

Bearcat
My feeling about the .454 is that it might be nice if you're after really large game. The fact remains that it's just not much fun to shoot. Sure, you can impress your friends but you'll likely find that a milder caliber is more enjoyable to shoot. I have a Freedom Arms .454 and as much as I love it for what it is, I much prefer shooting .45C and .44 Spl Rugers. It doesn't hurt me or the guns and it's just more fun.

Kharris

Bearcat
Shot mine today. Lipseys was really good finding a local gun shop to make the purchase. I shot Federal Fusion 260 gr. 1350 fps. Bulled at 25 and 50 yds. 3" group at 100. 52 yrs old seeing ok. Never had a 454, but was really pleased i had a blackhawk that at the low end could be a whitetail round and if needed; bear, moose, buffalo etc.
the action is worked on, there is a set screw on the cylinder pin to lock it in place. No regular blackhawk trigger job of removing a grip and detaching one of the springs...there is only one..(first Bisley). Trigger feels much lighter than stock Ruger single action.
This gun ROCKS!!!

Finished w a Hornaday load at 1900 fps. No big deal. Have Buffalo Bore 45 LC Deer grenades. No need. If u get one, start w the fusions.

If it helps, i consider my Dan Wesson 357 a 1, a 44mag a 3 and this Casull a 4. Recoil wise. Will never get ris of this one. Paid $800. A bargain vs freedom arms, starting at 2,500 +

B Good