.44 Special powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
Shot some Clays Universal (Yes, finally latched on to some!) this afternoon 7.5g under 240g bullet. Matches up really well with Unique over the chrono within a few fps. Low SD 10, ES 36. Another winner.... Only thing that threw me was the tan color of the powder.... Thought at first I had a 'gone bad' container! But found out this is 'normal' for this powder.

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
Rclark said:
Shot some Clays Universal (Yes, finally latched on to some!) this afternoon 7.5g under 240g bullet. Matches up really well with Unique over the chrono within a few fps. Low SD 10, ES 36. Another winner.... Only thing that threw me was the tan color of the powder.... Thought at first I had a 'gone bad' container! But found out this is 'normal' for this powder.

How was the accuracy with that Universal load? I've loaded the same but under a 250gr Keith bullets. Accuracy in my FT was fair and plan on trying the 240gr SWC next.

Rclark

Hunter
I thought it shot just as good as the Unique load. I shot them back to back today and didn't notice any discernible difference.

LAH

Buckeye
Lee that is a great group. 1 1/2" at 50 is world class to me. :p

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Lee Martin said:
LAH said:
Lee that is a great group. 1 1/2" at 50 is world class to me. :p

Thanks....but don't think I can shoot like that at will. My eyes aren't that good all the time :)
If I could shoot that good even once I would print that target out along with those other pictures and frame it on my living room wall. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
Tried another powder in my flat top recently with very promising results. 6.2 grains of IMR SR 7625 under a Speer 240 LSWC yielded 715 fps with an extreme spread of only 24 fps from thrown charges. So far that's the lowest velocity spread I've had from thrown charges, besting Unique, Universal and Clays. Very clean burning and accuracy looks very promising.

I tried SR 7625 because it's such a good powder in 9mm and my hopper is full of it. it's great in .38 and .357 wadcutter and mid range loads as well.

Rclark

Hunter
spread of only 24 fp
With how many shots down range to get ES? My testing for example is from 15 to 30 (preferred) shots. My lowest ES was with Power Pistol 8.5g under 240g SWC : 1057fps, 35 ES, 9 SD, 34 shots fired. Have to do some testing with SR 7625.... Sounds promising.... Thanks for the tip...

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
24 fps spread from 6 shots. Never tried as many as you have.

7625 has proven to meter exceptionally well for me over the past few years.
It's a single base powder with low density.

Rclark

Hunter
Thanks. I try to get 30 shots (at least 15) because it is the only way to get a good feel for the load. At least that is what I've found so far.... You should at least shoot 10 for SD calculation. More is of course better :) .

smorin2

Single-Sixer
Hello,i've read this thread with interest as i have a Bisley SBH that i purchased for an indoor league up here.I recently chronographed 10 powders-10 rounds of each powder using the RCBS 250K cast bullet sized to .430 with Lyman Range Magic lube. My velocity results closely mirror what some of you guys have posted.My most accurate powders were Blue Dot,Green Dot,2400 and the most accurate was Bullseye.Surprisingly the least accurate was Trail Boss as i've had great results in .480 with it.My testing was done @ 20 yds,outdoors,partly sunny,60's.I tested HS-6,231,2400,Trail Boss,800X,Blue Dot,Green Dot,Bullseye,Power Pistol and Unique. The Bullseye load resulted in a S.D. of 4 and an E.S. of 11.The 800X and HS-6 loads were the least pleasant to shoot.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Lefty SRH said:
Can the Keith and Skeeter loads be safely used with a Hornady XTP bullet aswell?

From the Alliant websight: http://www.alliantpowder.com/
A load of 6.9gr of Unique with a Keith hard cast 250gr bullet runs 921fps.
With 7.6gr of Unique a 240gr Gold Dot runs 836fps.

Why anyone wants much more than that out of a 44 special is beyond me. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Lee Martin

Hunter
I agree. Granted, 2400 will get a 250 to 1,200 fps but short of shooting a little flatter, the extra 200 fps offers little (except more noise and recoil). Brian Pearce did an article on mid-level 44 Specials years ago and came to the same conclusion (as tested on game).

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I saw my best accuracy at 17 grains of 2400 with a 250 Keith. But it was tough to shoot out of the standard flat top with the plowhandle grip.

I would not freely interchange load data for the lead bullets with the XTP when loading to Ruger levels in the 44 Special. Back off a bit, and work up.

If you could find a published load with the XTP that mimics the 1200 fps Keith load, like the H-110 load given by Pearce in one of his Handloader Magazine articles, then that *should* be safe to use. Anything else, you're on your own.

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
Lee Martin said:
I agree. Granted, 2400 will get a 250 to 1,200 fps but short of shooting a little flatter, the extra 200 fps offers little (except more noise and recoil). Brian Pearce did an article on mid-level 44 Specials years ago and came to the same conclusion (as tested on game).

Lee, can you post a link to this article please.

Rclark

Hunter
The article is in (June Handloader, issue #260) . The article itself doesn't appear to be on-line. Accordingly .... The Lipsey's .44 Special flattop can use a 250 gr. Keith, Alliant 2400 powder, 16.5 gr., to achieve 1200 fps which is the Keith Load. That is with today's powder and case. However I found 15g more than enough.... And then won't shoot it often. Another thread for reference : Cylinder Strength

EDK

Single-Sixer
The article in HANDLOADER #260 is one of the best you'll ever read...find yourself a copy.

I'm loading 44 magnum Original Size VAQUEROS with 1000 feet per second or lower loads. Try HERCO, HP38, TITEGROUP and RED DOT with one of the KEITH boolit clones...they all will work nicely.

Latest posts