Powder question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I will only go by manuals or at least cross referencing between manuals but have a ? I read where 13 gr of imr4198 with 100 gr jsp was 1600 fps in 32/20
OK then i read 3.5 gr of unique was close to the same fps. I know looks does not count but 13 gr 4198 fills the 32/20up to where the bullet will slightly compress the load. Im skeptical of a case that full. If its safe ok but i want to know first not after.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I know when the air space is remove with powder or other filler the burn rate and pressures change. Im just a skeptic who does not want to ruin a gun or me.

Attachments

• IMG_20240218_104800.jpg
    IMG_20240218_104800.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
It's actually better to have a case that is full to the base of the bullet. I was just recently re-reading some info on how light charges can cause a much higher pressure spike,, due to powder position & the way it ignites.

Many, many years ago,, I spent a lot of time studying what Rick Jamison would write in his "Reloading" column for Shooting times. One thing that always stood out was how the most uniform & consistent loads were from using a powder that would allow a safe charge,, to where it just touched the base or was slightly compressed.

A very light charge,, where there is a bit of "air space" inside the case,, when loaded in the gun,, the powder lays in the bottom of the case. The primer flashes across the powder. That causes erratic ignition and can create a larger pressure spike. In the case of what you are showing above,, I'd go with the 4198 powder instead of the Unique.

And I use a lot of Unique in a lot of handgun loads. But in general,, it is used in an amount to where the primer can ignite the powder while the powder is still against the base of the case internally.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
"Detonation" caused by small charges of fast powder has never been proven, or even duplicated under lab conditions. It is my firm belief that such gun-destroying events actually result from inadvertent double charges of powder. BUT, follow the manuals carefully and neither small charges of fast powder nor full cases of slower powders will cause you any difficulty.

contender

Ruger Guru
Here's a copy of the article I was just re-reading. It discusses the powder position issue. (The author used to be the editor of "Precision Shooting" magazine.)

web.archive.org/web/20150106061102/http://www.levergun.com/articles/thoughts.htm

When you get to the part about the discussion with Ken Ohler,, remember Ken developed the best chronographs of that era & are still considered to be one of the best.

jgt

Buckeye
The reason detonation has never been duplicated in a lab is not proof it does not exist.
The people that experienced it shot in competition. They shot many, many of these loads that did not detonate. Then one day the right combination of powder position and primer flash came together and their gun was destroyed. Fellow shooters thought it could not happen to them because they made sure "THEY" didn't double charge (which they were sure happened to the guy with the blown up gun). Only it did happen to enough of them eventually until they had to stop using that load and find another powder and load that was safe.
Some of us are old enough to have been there. We even shot 44 magnums before we found out it was the most powerful gun in the world and would blow your head clean off. I will say this one more time. Ignore this information if you wish, but to claim it does not exist is like Joe Biden claiming there is no proof the 2020 election was bogus and was the most secure election in history.

In my opinion the 32-20 case will not hold enough powder to blow up the modern guns. A heavy dose of H110 and heavy lead bullet are incredibly fun.

Now, try light loads of fast powder in larger cases, like 45-70 you have to be careful.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Been wanting another truck. The Honda pilot was a goid vehicle but i missed my f150. Received $9700 from insurance full coverage paid for Pilot. Went and got a nice F150. Looks sharp.
I told the wife i knew i would get another truck somehow. Lol

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
In general, the powder that is slowest burning (from the charts) is my choice for any given load as it developes the lower pressures. Not a 100% guide, as loads need to be proved by the shooting of them.

Bob Wright

crow#2

Single-Sixer
heres a dumb question.
Burn rate charts? Do they have a numercal rating or is it just fastest on top of list progressing down the list to the slowest.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Ahh it's all starting to make sense lol. What year? Post a pic if you can.
Here ya go. 2011I cant afford new.The reflection in the side of truck is cokes stacked up along garage wall.Its dirty righ now but when its clean it really looks nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20240219_125412.jpg
    IMG_20240219_125412.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240219_125408.jpg
    IMG_20240219_125408.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 22
I will only go by manuals or at least cross referencing between manuals but have a ? I read where 13 gr of imr4198 with 100 gr jsp was 1600 fps in 32/20
OK then i read 3.5 gr of unique was close to the same fps. I know looks does not count but 13 gr 4198 fills the 32/20up to where the bullet will slightly compress the load. Im skeptical of a case that full. If its safe ok but i want to know first not after.
You might consider a subscription to www.loaddata.com. There is a mind-boggling amount of published load data there a fella can sort and print it most any way he wishes.
Regarding your question, I searched Load Data for 32-20 data and 13.0 gr. of IMR-4198 with a 100 gr. bullet. Two loads fired from a rifle both showed velocities in the vicinity of 1450 fps. It took about 5.0 gr. of Unique to get that same velocity from a 100 gr. bullet from a rifle.

I've never loaded the 32-20 in a rifle but owned a Uberti SA in 32-20 and did quite a bit of load development for it. It was a times frustrating. The extreme velocity spreads (e.s.'s), especially with powders such as Blue Dot and 2400 were sometimes 200 fps or a bit more. It was crazy. Bryan Pearce did a couple of articles in Handloader magazine over the 32-20 and some of his loads also showed e.s.'s in the 150-200 fps range and he could find no rhyme or reason. I finally settled on IMR-Target (pretty much a twin to Alliant Bullseye) and Unique and things settled down nicely.
As slow as IMR-4198 burns, relatively speaking, I don't think you're going to be in any danger, and in fact the Speer manual lists 15.0 gr. as a maximum in strong lever action rifles.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
You might consider a subscription to www.loaddata.com. There is a mind-boggling amount of published load data there a fella can sort and print it most any way he wishes.
Regarding your question, I searched Load Data for 32-20 data and 13.0 gr. of IMR-4198 with a 100 gr. bullet. Two loads fired from a rifle both showed velocities in the vicinity of 1450 fps. It took about 5.0 gr. of Unique to get that same velocity from a 100 gr. bullet from a rifle.

I've never loaded the 32-20 in a rifle but owned a Uberti SA in 32-20 and did quite a bit of load development for it. It was a times frustrating. The extreme velocity spreads (e.s.'s), especially with powders such as Blue Dot and 2400 were sometimes 200 fps or a bit more. It was crazy. Bryan Pearce did a couple of articles in Handloader magazine over the 32-20 and some of his loads also showed e.s.'s in the 150-200 fps range and he could find no rhyme or reason. I finally settled on IMR-Target (pretty much a twin to Alliant Bullseye) and Unique and things settled down nicely.
As slow as IMR-4198 burns, relatively speaking, I don't think you're going to be in any danger, and in fact the Speer manual lists 15.0 gr. as a maximum in strong lever action rifles.

Latest posts