.41 Magnum - S&W model 57 vs. Redhawk vs. Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Guys,

Thank you for all of the responses. I was having trouble getting on the forum yesterday so didn't know what to expect when I got on today. I got a lot of good (and informed) opinions from people who owned one or more of the firearms I asked about.

Thank you very much.

SR

GAR

Single-Sixer
Just got in a discountinued Lyman 410459 bullet mold. Got it getting warmed up to cast some bullets for my 41's.

Sure hope that they work good?

Any one have experiance with this bullet?

Tom

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Your indicating you what a revolver for hunting. Are you reloading? If you are I would choose the New Model Blackhawk. For me single actions are the way to go for a woods and hunting revolver. And there is no question that a Blackhawk is stronger than S&W model 57. Nothing against the Smith. I own lots of them but my hunting revolver is a Blackhawk. And I think a Blackhawk is more reliable in the long run than a Redhawk.
Opinion only.
Regards,
Howard

Desertdog

Bearcat
If hunting and target shooting is the goal....you cant beat the Blackhawk....a weapon you will own for all times....solid...accurate and a joy to shoot....I have 3 of them.....

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've got both..the Smith is very accurate, finely made and a pre-71...pinned and recessed. The single action trigger pull is beyond belief...good in double action as well.

The Ruger is a 6-1/2" Flat Top that's equally accurate, hell for strong and a great hunting gun.

Either is about as convenient to carry...ie. NOT, at least in a waist belt holster.

It's a toss up, but if you can get the Smith for a reasonable price, and it's in good shape, it'll increase in value...not so for the Ruger at least in my experience.

JMHO, Rodfac

lfpiii

Blackhawk
The S&W 57 is a great gun especially from the 1970s. If I were you I would buy the gun and shoot it every once in a while but I would NOT take it hunting.

S&W long ago stopped making parts for older guns. When a pre 2000 Smith breaks you have to get parts from the secondary market. Repair cost are very high.

Even S&W guns with lifetime warrenty cannot always be repaired by Smith. A LEO that I know had a big problem getting his 2 inch model 64 repaired by Smith. The gun was purchased new in 1995 with the lifetime warrenty. Three years ago the barrel cracked at the forcing cone. Smith kept saying that they no longer stocked 2 inch barrels. It was only fixed after his chief called Smith.

The biggest credit you have to give Ruger is that they still make parts for the majority if not all of the guns that they have ever made. Ruger makes parts in house while Smith subcontracts most parts to outside vendors. Fifty years from now you will still be able to get Blackhawk parts while the Model 57 will hang on the wall.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I too love the 41's. Have a 8 3/8's 57 acquired in mid 70's, a NMBH acquired about the same time, a FT 41 and most recently a Bisley non-flutted 41 with 7.5 barrel made in 1985. Also have a OMBH conversion by Bowen to 41 special. Use the NMBH with 6.5 barrel to shoot silouette in the late 70's and managed a 29 of 40 with it standing. I would say that I prefer the 41 over other calibers, but just like shooting them all, 44's and 45's too.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks again for all of the input to my original question.

I hear tales about the Smiths shooting loose. But I have to admit that I'm not a "blast away rounds at the range" kind of guy. Any revolver I buy will probably head to the range 5-10 times a year for 20-30 rounds. So maximum I'm talking about 300 rounds per year, but it's going to be more like 100. The main thing that will happen with this gun is that it will be strapped to my hip for walks around the farm for engaging random "targets of opportunity."

In that case, should I have any fear about the Smith?

I guess what I should really do is hold out for an old model Blackhawk in .41 mag. But you know how it is with old guns. A bird in the hand (or at the gun shop) is worth two in the bush.

DGNY

Bearcat
You are getting some great advice. I am lucky enough to have Ruger .41 BH OM 4.625"and NM Bisley, RH 5.5" and S&W 57 6" and 657 Mtn Gun. Most accurate are RH and Mtn Gun, but accuracy is close on all but 6' 57. These accuracy matters are very much related to individual gun performance and impossible to predict, if my experience is typical.

If you want to hunt and wish to get started, a RBH NM with a trigger job is a great beginning, either bbl length working well, subject to your state's bbl requirements for hunting.

I've stopped hunting, but the RH 5.5" would be my choice, but it took years to find.

Before you are done acquiring, a BH OM would be a FINE addition. As would a 57/657 in you choice of bbl length. Ditto the RH.

Regards,

Dyson

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Wow , you guys must live in ripe fields of .41 mags. Around here they are seldom available and if you are concidering it you better buy it. It will not be there tomorrow. For me a 41 redhawk has been a grail gun for quite some time and in 5 1/2 " it is only a legand. Blackhawks are around in long barrels but never in stainless. Poor me , I live on the wrong end of the 41 rainbow.

bigheaddaddy

Single-Sixer
I bought my 5.5" Redhawk at Charlie's Bait Shop in Conover NC in the late 80's. I've had a lot of people make offers on it, but my response is always, "It ain't for sale". It is a very good shooter, and I really like the Redhawk look. For some reason, the accuracy of my my 6.5" Blackhawk is a little better at 25+ yards, but the Redhawk is still better than most.

I have only seen one other 41 Redhawk since I bought mine, and unfortunately it was stolen and never recovered. 41 Redhawks are few and far between.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
needsmostuff said:
Wow , you guys must live in ripe fields of .41 mags. Around here they are seldom available and if you are concidering it you better buy it. It will not be there tomorrow. For me a 41 redhawk has been a grail gun for quite some time and in 5 1/2 " it is only a legand. Blackhawks are around in long barrels but never in stainless. Poor me , I live on the wrong end of the 41 rainbow.

Well here is your legend grail gun:
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=236998044

You gotta make the most of the online auction sites. If you wait for a 5.5" Redhawk to come through your local dealer, you probably will never see one.

Other than an occasional NIB regular production Blackhawk in 41, I've only seen one 7.5" Redhawk and one 4 5/8" 3 screw Blackhawk locally EVER! Not much of a ripe 41 field, but I own many 41s because I found them online.

BTW, the only stainless 41 BHs that have been made are 5.5" Bisleys and 7.5" Hunter models. And both of those can be found on GB as well. Good luck.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Guys,

I ended up buying the model 57 today. I just couldn't pass it up.

That puts me a bit ahead on gun spending for the year. I had better dial it back a notch.

SR

David LaPell

Blackhawk
It takes alot to wear out one of those .41 Magnum Model 57's. If you do need to have the parts replaced on it, Bowen Arms is pretty good at fixing some of them. This one is my old beater, while the finish is a bit worse for wear it was hardly ever shot and flame cutting was next to non-existant. This belonged to a cop over in Vermont and one can tell it spent ALOT of time riding in gun leather.

41magb-1.jpg

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the feedback.

I had enough time at lunch one day this week to set up a box and shoot a cylinder full through it. I was at about 12 yards offhand and three of the shots were touching. Two more were touching about an inch to the left, and one was down and to the right a bit. I thought that was pretty good for my first time with a new gun and no rest. I may shoot it some more today, but the near-100-degree temperatures are a bit of a deterrent.

For now I'm trying to find some decent factory ammo to shoot. I'm looking for something that would be good for woods carrying purposes and would also be sufficient for deer. Federal has a few factory loads, and I've been eyeing the 210 grain power-shok JHP. Does anybody have any experience with this load on deer?

(And I know many of you will say I need to reload for this cartridge. I hear you, but I'm just looking for something to get me through the next few months before I can get serious).

Thanks,

SR

DGNY

Bearcat
Congratulations to you on your purchase of the classic S&W Model 57! I recall when they first came out and wanted one for years.

I don't, from first hand knowledge, know the answer to your ammo question, but am confident any full power 210 gr JHP or even JSP would be deadly on a deer under, say, 70 yards [and this limited more by standard open sight equipment than any lack of inherent cartridge power].. Particularly after suitable practice to keep all shots in no more than 8" at your intended range.

No doubt others who handgun hunt will have more to suggest.

Good luck,

Dyson

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the feedback guys. I created a separate post about ammo, since I thought it might draw in a few responses with a different title. I appreciate all the help.

SR

Jakers

Bearcat
south_ridge,

to add my two cents; Ive owned a 657 and a 5.5" 41 Redhawk. I curently own 4 41 mags, a Bise, a redhawk, and a 57 and 58.

The N frame for the 41 is a match made in heaven, and congrats are in order if you have one.

The blackhawk in any configuration is a great platform for the 41 also.
For some reason, the tightest blackhawks I ever handled were 41 mags...

Latest posts