SR9c guide rod/recoil spring issue.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ten0fnine

Bearcat
I posted this in another forum and got no replies. I hope someone here can offer some advice...

My wife got a new SR9c. As I typically do, I brought it home, took it down, thoroughly cleaned it, reassembled and repeated. After all was said and done, I proceeded to rack the slide back and forth a few times to get some wear marks on the guides so I knew where to put a dab of grease. After about 10-15 cycles, I went to disassemble the weapon to look at the rail guides, but I couldn't get the slide to come off the end of the pistol.

I then tried to pull it back out of battery, but the slide wouldn't pull backwards either. Again, I slid the assembly forward, with a little more "umpf" and that's when I noticed the recoil spring and guide rod had "fallen" off it's seat on the bottom of the barrel block, and was hung up. I snuck a thin screwdriver between the spring and pushed it down- the slide then moved forward off the pistol and the guide rod/spring fell onto the table.

I cleaned it again, reassembled and racked the slide another dozen times. Again, after pulling the pin, dropping the slide release and gently persuading the slide forward, I noticed the spring was "hanging" below the barrel, catching on the forward end of the frame.

I've managed to duplicate this almost 70% of the time.

Searching, I found another thread, http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/24739-sr9c-help.html, but there was no resolution suggested or reported. Has anyone else experienced this? Time to call Ruger, or perhaps take it to my local gunsmith and duplicate it there?

kscott

Single-Sixer
I actually had this same issue, but just once. It was when I first got it, and I honestly don't remember much about it except that I about went into panic mode cuz I couldn't get the slide to go either way. I think I got it fixed by using a small wooden skewer (didn't want to scratch anything :wink: ). Thought it was my bad so I didn't really mention it to anyone. Honestly had completely forgotten about it until reading this post. Time to get it out and play with it to see if it'll do it again.

Ten0fnine

Bearcat
Hrm.

Well, this shouldn't affect the operation of the pistol- only the take down, and knowing that there is a high likelihood of it occurring, I can simply be careful when field stripping it. I shouldn't "have to" worry about it though...

Has anyone had one of these 2-piece guide rods fail? I know the plastic rods are simply to insure the springs stay put (more or less) but it feels really cheap and flimsy, and even when installed correctly it has a noticeable "bow" (bend) under tension where the smaller one goes into the larger.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Ten0fnine said:
Hrm.

Well, this shouldn't affect the operation of the pistol- only the take down, and knowing that there is a high likelihood of it occurring, I can simply be careful when field stripping it. I shouldn't "have to" worry about it though...

Has anyone had one of these 2-piece guide rods fail? I know the plastic rods are simply to insure the springs stay put (more or less) but it feels really cheap and flimsy, and even when installed correctly it has a noticeable "bow" (bend) under tension where the smaller one goes into the larger.

Some of the best guns made in the whole world have plastic guide rods that flex or even pivot under tension and they're still some of the best guns made.

I guess it is a so....?????

Ten0fnine

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz said:
Some of the best guns made in the whole world have plastic guide rods that flex or even pivot under tension and they're still some of the best guns made.

Right, but my only experience with plastic guide rods are single-piece. This specific type just seems... weak. Especially considering it's falling off the barrel block so easily. Perhaps mine is broken. Guess I'll just call Ruger.

Cheers.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Ten0fnine said:
Cheesewhiz said:

Right, but my only experience with plastic guide rods are single-piece. This specific type just seems... weak. Especially considering it's falling off the barrel block so easily. Perhaps mine is broken. Guess I'll just call Ruger.

Cheers.

I have to ask... The guide rod is both plastic and metal. The end that goes into the barrel block is metal and the plastic 'button' end goes into the slide. Any chance you have them backwards?

sailor

Bearcat
My wife also purchased an SR9c, which I have had trouble with the take down pin (different thread), and the slide "hang-up" also. The slide does eventually release and slide off, but on its own good time. I guess I am having a spring or spring button hitting the frame, but haven't seen where yet. As it is a take down problem, minor and not affecting the operation, I just live with it - but a simple correction would be appreciated. Other than those two items, a really nice 9mm auto.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I've had mine since March. Had problems with light primer-hits, but Ruger's new striker assembly fixed it. About 600 rounds through it; 200 since new striker spring. No problem like your's.
Sonnytoo

RebootUSA

Bearcat
I'm a little late to this dance, but, since I had this problem as well I am sure others will in the future. I gave Ruger a call and their suggestion on how to prevent the hang-up worked for me, so for future solution seekers it's easy to fix. When you are ready to remove the slide from the frame, be sure to pull the slide back as far as it will go, and then move it forward. In other words, don't just pull the slide back enough to release the slide lock, keep pulling it back until it goes no farther, then move it forward. Since I started doing this, I have had zero hang-ups.