Opinions wanted on the 13 pound recoil spring for the LCP Max?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ImDrRich

Bearcat
Wondering if it adds to smoother functioning, not that I'm complaining, of course.

hittman

Staff member
If it ain't broke ……

but, lotsa folks like to tinker too

You better adjust your ammo accordingly. If the gun was originally rated for +P etc it's not anymore. If it wasn't rated for +P it will be rated for even less.

I changed it and the trigger, way better.
The problem with lighter springs is that they don't operate as positively as a stronger one. Lighter Hammer/Striker springs mean your primers won't be hit as hard as they would otherwise. Lighter recoil springs mean the slide will slam back harder and might not completely chamber a round when your life counts on it and cracking the frame. That's why you see so many failures at matches. "Tuned" guns at the hairy edge of reliability.
Conversely some will go with a heavier recoil spring to minimize recoil because the slide is barely cycling enough to eject and load the next round. Standard ammo could short stroke again leaving you doing a jam clearance drill when your life is in the balance. If you are going to start "Tuning" your gun you actually have to be in "Tune" with the gun. I work up loads for each of my guns for this reason. My Max9 for instance averages around 6-8" at 25yds. 124gr Sig V Crowns going 1,150 go into 2" at 25yds and don't abuse the gun.
Tuning guns are like tuning cars. One numbnuts that I know added a bigger turbo and waste gate to his factory turbo car and was upset when it would shut down every time he tried to get on it because the factory computer was detecting conditions that according to factory settings could damage the motor. It's a Deep Dark Rabbit Hole when you start screwing with things that actually work.

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that my LCP Max has never FTF, FTE or FTFire yet. And, the trigger doesn't pinch my finger like the factory one did. Be careful about who you label numbnuts on here.
I wasn't labeling anyone unless your name is Jim and continually do stupid expensive stuff to your car and if it is you would be used to me calling you that among other things. If you have the experience and knowledge to do such things more power to you. In my example was someone just throwing race parts at a stock engine and wondering why the factory computer won't let the car run like a race car. There are a lot of great parts out there but you have to know what the equal and opposite reaction will be to your mods. I wouldn't put any of the enhanced triggers in my Max9 pro because it lacks a manual safety. If I had a standard Max 9 I would and carry it with the safety on. IMO a lot of the newer striker fired guns going off accidentally is because the trigger is too good. The 1911 carried cocked and locked has an amazing trigger and multiple safeties to ensure the gun will only go off if it is properly in your grasp and you intentionally disengage the safety. IMO a lot of the newer guns have great triggers but it would be like carrying a 1911 with the grip safety taped down and the safety off. IMO anything that would accidentally engage the trigger would also engage the little dingle in the trigger. Randomly Throwing Race Parts at your EDC carry gun is kinda like Randomly Throwing Race Parts at your EDC car. It could work??? I'm not sure what the stock spring rate on an LCP 2 is. If 13lb is lighter the gun will be easier to rack. The opposite reaction is the slide will be cycling faster potentially damaging the gun !!! UNLESS!!! you go to less powerful ammo. IF 13lb is heavier than stock the slide will be harder to rack but the gun will recoil less because the slide is moving slower. This can also exaserbate limp wristing and short stroking requiring full power or better ammo for reliable operation.

Last edited:
I have owned many Ruger LCP's over the years (moved on to other 380's) but I always used the heavier 13# spring. I learned from experience. Not a debate for me. They will last longer with a heavier recoil spring. I also changed them out very frequently. I would buy about a half dozen at a time. Do the same with most of my semi's most especially the small Carry guns in 380 or 9mm.Even the little P32 will get a heavy spring. (I believe stock LCP is 11lbs).

Latest posts