Max 9 hole under recoil spring! Help!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
I have the Max9 pro and wouldn't have that on anything I would carry. I'm wishing I had gotten the standard model now.
Mine has the manual safety. It is making me spend some time on training to engage the safety as I come up on target. It has been a while since I carried anything with an external safety. I looked at that trigger on Galloway's site. It looked interesting but I'm going to try to stick with the stock trigger for now.

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
I wouldn't have that Galloway trigger without a manual safety. That's like carrying a cocked 1911 with the grip safety taped down and the manual safety off.
Gotcha, yeah I don't feel safe having one in the chamber without a safety.

Mike J

Hunter
I wanted to ask the OP if he had his pistol was back from Ruger yet. I was curious about the outcome.

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
I wanted to ask the OP if he had his pistol was back from Ruger yet. I was curious about the outcome.
Not yet unfortunately. But I'm part of Ruger max 9 page on fb and is seems a lot of people are having issues with the recoil spring. I'm going to guess there's going to be a recall on them at one point

Yeah I had mine lock back after 3rnds on a loaded mag the other day. I verified that my grip didn't contact the slide lock. That's evidently a known issue.

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
Update:

Email directly from Ruger.

"
Thank you for being a loyal Ruger customer. We examined the above-referenced firearm and have concluded that unfortunately, your firearm cannot be safely repaired. We recognize the frustration created by this type of incident and, as a gesture of goodwill, are willing to replace the firearm at no cost to you.

The replacement firearm will bear a new serial number and must be shipped to you via a federally licensed firearms retailer to ensure compliance with the laws and regulations governing the transfer of firearms. If you choose to accept this offer, we require a copy of the retailer's Federal Firearm License ("FFL") to effectuate the transfer. We will pay for the cost of shipping the new firearm to the FFL retailer, but you will be responsible for payment of any transfer fee that may be charged by the retailer. Upon shipment of the replacement, the above-referenced firearm will be scrapped. We will amend our records to reflect disposition of the new firearm to you in conformance with the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Please indicate your acceptance of this proposal by signing this letter in the space provided below and returning the signed copy to the Customer Service Department to the address below, or via email. If you decide not to accept the offer, please indicate that by signing this letter in the appropriate space below and returning it to my attention, at which point we will return your damaged firearm to you. Please note that we consider your firearm to be unsafe and unserviceable and recommend against any attempt to repair or use this damaged firearm.

Sincerely,
Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department"

Mike J

Hunter
I was hoping they could give you a new frame with old serial number. I wonder if they didn't because it would be more expensive or legal reasons. Glad they are taking care of you. I'd like it better if you didn't have to pay the transfer.

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
I was hoping they could give you a new frame with old serial number. I wonder if they didn't because it would be more expensive or legal reasons. Glad they are taking care of you. I'd like it better if you didn't have to pay the transfer.
Yeah that kind of bugs me that I have to pay $50 for the transfer for their issue oh well though

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
Well good news, Cabela's waived the $50 transfer fee. That was nice of them! Anyways already installed the Galloway trigger, recoil spring, and the ready dot!

Attachments

• IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 54

epags

Single-Sixer
LOL. Same thing happened when my (long out of warrenty) Glock (a firearm that never breaks???) frame broke at a retension location. They did replace (at no cost) the frame with a new frame (thus a new serial number) and ship it to a FFL. I had to pay the transfer fee. Now I have a Glock with two serial numbers, one for the frame and one on the slide/barrel assembly. Looking foward to updating my CCW permit that requires your carrry firearm be recorded by serial number. (California again).
Glock said they had to document the distruction of the old frame....same must be true for Ruger.
And they replaced several non OEM parts with new OEM parts and only some of the non-OEM parts were returned.

Last edited:

rotor

Single-Sixer
I had a Taurus recall requiring a new firearm and sending to my FFL. Taurus reimbursed me for the transfer fee. Ruger should have paid the transfer fee too.

Latest posts