Max 9 hole under recoil spring! Help!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
Hey fellas,

So I just bought my max 9 and have put about 400 round through it. I was disassembling it to clean it and noticed a small area in the trigger frame insert where it looked like a metal burr. When I was cleaning it with Q-tips it would get stuck so I took a small file and tried to make it smooth however after just removing a very small amount there is now a hole.

My question is, is this a defect? Should I be worried about my safety while shooting it?

Thanks for your help.
IMG_3791.jpeg
IMG_3798.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely strange. I have a slight scuff in that location but nothing like that. It appears to be a non stressed area. Ruger will probably want you to send it in. They might replace the frame but who knows till you try.

Your title is confusing. It's the recoil spring not the striker spring. I had my slide stripped before I looked into your pics and I couldn't figure out what I was looking at

Mike J

Hunter
It isn't like I think it would blow up in your hand but I would call Ruger anyway. It shouldn't be like that. I think they will replace the frame. They have good customer service. They will probably turn it around & get it back to you quickly.

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
It isn't like I think it would blow up in your hand but I would call Ruger anyway. It shouldn't be like that. I think they will replace the frame. They have good customer service. They will probably turn it around & get it back to you quickly.
Thanks! Yeah I wasn't too worried about it blowing up but still it looks pretty tore up for only 400 rounds going through it. Should I put the original trigger back in it when I send it to them?

Mike J

Hunter
I would put it all back just like it was when they sent it to you. If you send it back with an aftermarket trigger in it they might decide to send it back with a stock one. They are not responsible for changes you make after it leaves their care but they could be held liable if after it was in their care, they sent it back with an aftermarket part installed & something happened. I have no experience with this, but we live in a very litigious society.

Last edited:

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
Oh goodness YES.
Manufacturers don't care for parts they didnt sell and haven't installed.
MikeJ nailed it.
Thanks fellas, already swapped the original trigger back and and is ready for shipping. I'll call them on Monday to see what they say.

I think when you modify a firearm and it breaks, send it back!
I generally thought that if you modify something and it breaks it's on you for screwing with it though I don't see how a trigger mod could cause this. Probably just a Defect in the metal. It's kinda like taking the nitrous kit off of your new car before seeking warranty repairs on the drivetrain.

pewpew9mm

Bearcat
I generally thought that if you modify something and it breaks it's on you for screwing with it though I don't see how a trigger mod could cause this. Probably just a Defect in the metal. It's kinda like taking the nitrous kit off of your new car before seeking warranty repairs on the drivetrain.
I understand that however I only found out about the defect once I was doing the swap. I put the stock trigger back in and will call tomorrow.

On a fb group page some others took some photos of that area and they had no issues. There also wasn't any holes on the underside either.

Latest posts