RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:59 am 
Single-Sixer

I'm searching for my first 44mag bullets, and I'm between Berrys/Rainers and Oregon Trail. The former is plated which has it's own issues when it comes to crimping, the latter is hard-cast, which has it's own issues when it comes to lead fouling in the barrel.

I'd like to go with Oregon Trails, but almost exactly 50% of the reviews I've read for these indicate severe barrel Leading. The other 50% indicate almost no Leading what-so-ever. Reading between the lines, it looks like the recipies make a difference when it comes to barrel fouling, and that Oregon Trail bullets need to be pushed hard to prevent blowby which causes the excessive lead fouling (I guess the bullet makes a better seal with the bore with higher charges).

So having said that, if you use Oregon Trail, could you share your favorite pet loads and if you get Leading problems in the barrel of your 44mag?

thanks!
-edfardos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:06 am 
Bearcat

The load is 2nd part! Fit is where leading is stopped or not! Check the cylinders throat and slug the barrel for dia. If the lead bullet is throat size and bigger then the barrel . Great chance of NO leading! Clint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:11 am 
Hunter

edfardos, I have 200gr and 240gr 44 Oregon Trail that I push easy and hard in my SBH. I don't remember if they are .430 or .431 but no leading. If you want I would be willing to sell you a small amount to try. I think you need to test load that is the only way to find out. The only powders I have used are 231, Unique, and Herco, all for 700-100fps loads. 2400 for upper level loads. I have time to cast my own these days so I don't use much of the factory made bullets anymore. Chief aka Maxx Load

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an
'unlicensed pharmacist'

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"
Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:16 am 
Single-Sixer

Thanks clint, so there's no way to really know until you try I guess. If anyone has a new Super Redhawk, and uses Oregon Trail 240grain bullets, please let us know. I'd like to think that Ruger has a pretty tight spec on their barrels, whereas past results might indicate future performance.

Also, if you have a pet load for this combo, I'd really like to try it.

thanks again!
-edfardos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 am 
Hunter

I have used Oregon Trail bullets for a long time .430 and have never had a leading problem. I have used Universal and H110 and 2400 in SBH's, RH, Vaquero's and a S&W Mt Gun.They are a good bullet in MHO.

To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth. This was the ancient law of youth.
Old times are past, old days are done: But the law runs true, O little son!

NRA Life Member since 1976
U.S. Army Veteran
RMEF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 am 
Single-Sixer

Thanks again guys, so you can get Oregon Trail bullets in .430 and .431? Midwayusa has them in .431, so I might start with them, maybe just a box of 200 first (thanks for the samples offer Chief, but 200 isn't a gigantic commitment I guess).

I know a few powders have been mentioned already, but I might lean towards AA#9 or Bluedot based on some info Jimbo gave me. I'm still flexible tho, so if you've done the testing with OT240 and a SRH, please let me know your pet load :).

These are the OT bullets in question:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... roductDesc

thanks,
-edfardos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:15 am 
Bearcat

If you can get .431 dia. bullet go for it! the load i use in my RH was a 250cast with 19/2400 /WLP . Clint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm 
Hunter

As I remember I was not too excited to see the "bevel base" on these but I had no leading or other problems, and they load easily.
Chief aka Maxx Load

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an
'unlicensed pharmacist'

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"
Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 pm 
Single-Sixer

clintsfolly wrote:
If you can get .431 dia. bullet go for it! the load i use in my RH was a 250cast with 19/2400 /WLP . Clint

Ordered! thanks for the feedback.

It looks like 2400 and AA#9 are almost identical according to all the load data and anecdotal evidence I've been gathering. It looks like 19Grains of either would work perfectly under a 240grain laser-cast, and you just backed that up.

I'll probably start with a jar of AA#9 just because I'm familiar with AA and the fact that they're very fine powders makes them measure like water (I use AA#5 in my 40S&W's)

thanks again,
-edfardos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 pm 
Hunter

Well, its pretty hard for a jacketed bullet to lead. :)

I've loaded a couple thousand Berry's MFG bullets, I'm not aware of any crimping issues. I do strongly prefer Montana Gold bullets though.

www.montanagoldbullet.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:43 am 
Hawkeye

Lead bullets lead my barrels, some worse than others. That's why I have almost given up on shooting lead along with the fact that lubed lead bullets smoke a lot more. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:29 am 
Hawkeye

It's almost never the bullet, given proper size; it's the gun.

"all my ammo is mostly-retired factory ammo"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:31 am 
Hawkeye

AA9 and 2400 in my experience are nowhere near similar in burn rate nor performance.
But both are excellent.....

"all my ammo is mostly-retired factory ammo"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 am 
Hawkeye

I regularly use 240 grain 44 mag OTLC, with a full house charge of 2400 and get ZERO leading. They're very stout loads which I really like and are supremely accurate. I got tired of shooting 50 cents worth of Hornady jacketed bullets into the ground every shot.

The Laser cast bullets are excellent. Load em HOT.

REV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 am 
Hawkeye

Jimbo357mag wrote:
Lead bullets lead my barrels, some worse than others. That's why I have almost given up on shooting lead along with the fact that lubed lead bullets smoke a lot more. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

You need some help by someone locally who is well versed in the ins and outs of cast bullet shooting. It's a shame you've had such bad luck with lead bullets, they are the quintessential sixgun projectile and a joy to shoot cheaply once fitted to your gun...

I reserve them "J word" bullets for varmit rifles at 3500+ fps, not for use in my sidearms. I plan on working out reduced GC lead loads in .243 and .270 too....Wanna see if I can hit 2500 fps accurately :shock:

JMO :wink:

Enemy of the DEP
(Domestic Enemy Party, formerly known as the Democrat Party)

Firearms are freedom's teeth