My Colorado Fishing Hole

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well Guys since I posted some pictures of FastEd's spot I thought I would show you mine. If I told you exactly where it was I would have to KILL you :D :D I will say that it is about a mile down river from our camp site. We have been here for two months so I know where the Trout live :wink:

Looking up stream.

Looking downstream.

This is a REAL SKINNY German Brown Trout about 12" that I caught on a #14 Elk Hair Caddis Fly. I told him to go back and fatten up and I would come back next year to catch him for dinner :D All the Trout I caught were about the same size and shape.

Contender,
I normally let the Browns and Brooks go. To me they are just to beautiful to kill and they put up such a great fight. There are plenty of Rainbows to catch and eat. Now if it is a real pretty Rainbow with the vivid colors from being wild for a long time it gets turned loose also.
Don't get me wrong we have about 30 StockerRainbows in the freezer now :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Stockers taste like dog food compared to wild. But, if stockers have had about a month of living in the creek, they get pretty tasty!

That scenery looks mighty good!

contender said:
Stockers taste like dog food compared to wild. But, if stockers have had about a month of living in the creek, they get pretty tasty!

Yep you are 100% correct. We call them Kroger Supermarket Trout. If the meat has some pink color to it it is very good. Also you can tell if the Stocker has been in the creek awhile by the color of it's fins. The bottom ones will get a little white to them. A guide on the White River in AR told me about that one. :) :)

Selena,
Last time I checked they had roads from Indiana to Colorado :D :D Been allover the East and lived in Ohio. Nothing compares to the Rockies of the West. The mountains of CA, WA, OR and Alaska which I have been to do come close :wink:

stevemb

Hunter
"Homesick for a place I've never been". Wow, may I borrow that'n ? Have brookies, stockers, from Penn trout opener last april, in the freezer. Some oh/pa steelhead too.

sixshot

Buckeye
Jim, very nice, see any Utah fisherman? Their feet get really white from being in the water too long, don't know if they ever turn pink!!

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
I learned long ago to check the fins of a trout & about the color of the meat. Locally, we get our streams stocked & when the fins are worn & stubby, (from being raised in concrete tanks,) we know they are "recently stocked." But once they live in the creeks for about a month or more,,, they have eaten natural foods & grown a bit, and the fins have recovered, they get "sweet" to eat!

Utah fishermen may get white feet, but once that happens,, their ability to catch trout diminishes! :D

Don Lovel

Hunter
my neighbor and his daughter caught 5 really nice Brook trout out of Crestone Creek yesterday, fishing in a culvert, drifting worms down the tube from the upstream side of the road

sixshot said:
Jim, very nice, see any Utah fisherman? Their feet get really white from being in the water too long, don't know if they ever turn pink!!

Dick

Hey Dick,
I wondered who those guys were with the white feet and legs. :wink: They were the ones trying to catch the fish in the minnow bucket. Mostly all Texans and locals up here. Not to many want to try and wade the Rivers. :D Most are happy sitting in a chair at a lake.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Wyandot Jim said:
contender said:

Yep you are 100% correct. We call them Kroger Supermarket Trout. If the meat has some pink color to it it is very good. Also you can tell if the Stocker has been in the creek awhile by the color of it's fins. The bottom ones will get a little white to them. A guide on the White River in AR told me about that one. :) :)

Selena,
Last time I checked they had roads from Indiana to Colorado :D :D Been allover the East and lived in Ohio. Nothing compares to the Rockies of the West. The mountains of CA, WA, OR and Alaska which I have been to do come close :wink:

Kids, dogs, cattle and crops... I'm lucky to get to the county seat much less another state!

stevemb:

Go ahead, I probably stole it from someone else anyway. :p

Hugh

Buckeye
Hi Jim, that is a skinny brown. If I recall correctly they don't stock them here in Utah; they aren't native to the U.S. so the ones that are here are decendants of those that were stocked illegally about a hundred years ago. Nonetheless I really like catching them. Those rascals are wiley, fighters, and tasty. Twelve inches is just right for the pan.

They go after eggs but a couple of years ago I started using wet flies in pools with pretty good luck.

Just for information, Sixshot, I don't even have to get my feet wet down here. Just cast out and reel 'em in.

Just remembered. Noted a news story here in Salt Lake City today. The state is wishing there weren't so many catch and release fishermen. They are asking folks to take more of their catch home. Not a problem with me though; if I catch it and it's legal size it goes home with me.

Hugh,
Same situation with the Browns here. They are not stocked either. I think all they stock are Rainbows. Yea I would rather catch Browns or Brooks than a Bow. All wild Trout are good eating :wink:
I have caught several Browns and Bows in this river and they are all real skinny.
Wifie and I went to this small lake at about 10,000' today and caught a few stocker Bows.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Wyandot Jim said:
Hugh,
Same situation with the Browns here. They are not stocked either. I think all they stock are Rainbows. Yea I would rather catch Browns or Brooks than a Bow. All wild Trout are good eating :wink:
I have caught several Browns and Bows in this river and they are all real skinny.
Wifie and I went to this small lake at about 10,000' today and caught a few stocker Bows.

*sigh*

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim said:

Hi,

Jim, do those 10,000 footers look like regular rainbows, or have they become victims of their environment and taken on strange shapes?

Several of the lakes I've fished here at that kind of altitude are rather small "alpine" lakes one has to backpack into. Many were originally stocked by air. For those unfamiliar with the practice, the fish are tiny fingerlings when they're dropped on a "bombing run" and from there on it's everybody for himself. A lot of these kinds of lakes are kinda short on food, and the fish grow up with "regular" sized heads, but very stunted body growth. They can look like something out of those cartoons where the cat just ate the fish and tosses the skeleton on the bone pile!

Rick C

Don Lovel said:
my neighbor and his daughter caught 5 really nice Brook trout out of Crestone Creek yesterday, fishing in a culvert, drifting worms down the tube from the upstream side of the road

Excellent tactic, learned that one long ago, native Brookies are hard to beat. ps

Wyandot Jim said:
Hugh,

Wow what a spot!! Nice little cabin out there too, be nice to be out there at sunrise smelling the
bacon cooking. ps