Is the No. 1 going out of production?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Single-Sixer
I know, we've been hearing rumors for a while on and off. I'm starting to hear something a little more definite now. I have seen what is purported to be an email from Lipseys stating that this is indeed the case. I certainly hope it's not true. Anyone else know or hear something?

Single-Sixer
Lipseys is indeed the exclusive distributor. The email I have seen is from Lipseys stating that they're not going to make them anymore. I'm hoping it's not true though.

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
My Lipseys Salesman told me yesterday that Ruger is discontinuing the Number Ones and they have 6-7 different model on the Lipseys web site forsale. Sad Day for Number One Collectors.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Credit should be given to them for trying to keep the No.1 going but I think part of it was they shot themselves in the foot when all the talk of better wood came about and they did not deliver. The wood quality and fit/finish weren't there and left a bad taste in peoples mouths. I bought one of the 7mm-08's and for the going rate on these it was nothing any better than the poor fit 2x4 quality wood that Ruger did over the last how many years. Some got lucky in the wood dept. but I think that was a pretty small percentage of rifles from what I've seen.

And yeah I know...its not a cheap rifle to produce...blah blah blah...but for a $1500 msrp they should do a lil bit better than they did. Not too hard to figure out why they arent selling anymore.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
There are several of the newer calibers on Gunbroker right now for around the $900 price point. I wonder if they will still make the .44 Mag, and the .308 RSI Stainless that were announced for this year?

picketpin

Buckeye
The new version of doing business reminds me a LOT like postage stamps. When I was a kid I collected stamps. There were some rare ones and they didn't issue a lot of different stamps, so you could look for rare stuff at vendors. shops. stores and auctions. Then USPS beganto issuing "Commemorative" stamps" I have no idea how many different stamps and denominations they now make but it's hundreds a year. How/why collect things that aren't "special"

Bought my first #1 in 1967. Over the years I have been lucky enough to collect some that are truly rare and some that while "standard" are very Nice examples of the rifle.

I guess part of "MY" problem is I have nearly all I started out to collect and caliber and even configurations are pretty much covered.

The new marketing ploy sort of brings the old adage of Things ehae are deliberately made to sell as RARE and VALUABLE are seldom either in the long run.

I simply can not or will not spend my money on the current production and instead will continue to look for those made years ago that simply happened to be rare or unusual more by happenstance than anything else. Lots of old cataloged #1s still out there that are rarer than anything they have made in the last few years.

Add to that the idea that 85% or more of the current shooting public consider the AR as a completely normal and logical choice and it's damned hard to sell a single shot, blued, walnut gun with a $1000 price tag.

Times change and with that demand and preference for products.

RWT

jjas

Single-Sixer
It's sad to see it go (if that turns out to be the case) and the No 1 is certainly a beautiful rifle, but if the margin and sales numbers had been where Ruger wants/needs them to be, obviously the rifle would still be offered.

RSIno1

Hunter
Bill Ruger's No1 rifle was a work of art. Great wood, great bluing, great fit. It was his flagship and he demanded nothing less than the best his company could produce. Since it's not Bill Ruger's company anymore bean counters and low skilled assemblers oversee the production. I'll hate to see it go but a second class poor quality No1 isn't desireable.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Here's my take on the demise/rumored demise of the Ruger No. 1.

Probably 95% of my rifle shooting is with a single-shot original and reproduction rifles: Winchester m1885, No.1, Remington Rolling Blocks, trapdoor Springfields, Sharps-Borchardt, Ballard, Martini-Henry, Browning-Miroku 1885, and Shiloh- Sharps m1874.

In my opinion and experience, single shot shooters are scarce and dying breed. Single-shot shooters fill a small niche of firearms sales. And that is the problem with the Ruger No.1 -- too few buyers. In addition, after awhile, a great number of the No.1 shooters had or just about had all they wanted or could afford and the demand tapered off. A company cannot stay in business by tooling up and selling small lots of rifles or those with a limited demand.

At the approximately 1500 member club that I belong to, I shoot two days a week, sometimes three, between early April to early December. I am the only single shot shooter that I see on the firing line. There a few others, but they are Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette competitors who very rarely use the range. And I do not know or heard about any other Ruger No. 1 shooters who are members!

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
Hearing these rumors of the No.1 going away is a bit saddening. I too grew up with the No.1's in the early 70's, marveling at the fit, finish, and wood of these early rifles. Pretty remarkable design all in all.

The new ones have not caught my eye with the above attributes, but at substantially higher price tag. I also know tis not a museum either. A lot of rifles(early, mid, and late) have been procured only for the action, for making up a custom of one type or another.

I have no interest in collectablity or psuedo 401K's; guess everyone now that owns or rushes out to procure thinks he has an instant collectable with the implied price tag to boot. Some will be surprised I reckon, but we were all young once. Takes time to develop discipline.

The beauty of the No.1 is in the action, it can do about any cartridge you can dream up. The barrels(blanks) and wood furniture can be had pretty easily from second sourcing. Never got too excited about a limited run of a factory particular chambering, most guys can do such with a flip of the wrist that works with rifles(if they want to).

One of the potential side effects of discontinuing a rifle is that the parts to keep them working slowly or quickly meets the same fate. 10 buck extractors might be a thing of the past in the coming years for instance.

A fine rifle for those that have the appreciation, an artistry in wood and steel. If truly gone, the No.1 will be missed by my generation especially.

wunbe

Buckeye
I have never had or heard of a NO 1 with a worn out metal part. The closest I know of are the very few salt rifles made in the mid/late 70s that needed wholesale parts replacements. Now lots of wood sets have taken beatings and been broken so anyone with extra wood sets at home is likely to hold on for dear life after Ruger's current inventory is used up.

wunbe

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
I suspect in most cases parts are pretty durable.

I have seen two rifles that came into a shop with the smaller parts in two coffee tins, previous owner took apart and then unfortunately departed early. Parts were missing for whatever reason. So lost parts might be a bigger concern or perhaps the custom guys that change calibers(ejector) or change over to rimfire with certain techniques. For those that have made the lifting arm or breechblock from scratch know some of the challenges. There are aftermarket ribs, but still require machining on some surfaces rather than just purchase an oem one. So parts are parts sorta speak. I took note a few years ago and purchased a lot of parts that I thought I would need for future builds, and rather not fabricate from scratch, just an opinion in the blue you know.

Loose metal parts on the net are scarce, even moreso than the 1A original wood that seems to go for $ beyond comprehension. Wood is not so much of a problem with many semi inletted stocks on the market, so far anyway. At least we still can have the rifles.

Just a view on such from my part of the world. I kinda hope the discontinuing deal is all wet, but in these times; companies have to be profitable for the shareholders.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Number 1s have always been a niche rifle, because they aren't great for anything. They aren't accurate enough to be considered a target rifle and the single shot is not the first option for most hunters. While you never want a follow up shot, sometimes its needed and the single shot is not ideal for this. Now is when someone usually says "I can reload as fast as you can cycle a bolt".......well good for you, maybe YOU can, but most can't nor do they care to try.

Basically you have Number 1s because you love them or because you like the novelty of them. Either way is not reason enough for the model to continue. The last few years have just been some obscure calibers for collectors to add because they didn't have one in that caliber or configuration. That won't keep a model alive long either

If not for Lipsey's the rifle would be long gone and good for them for keeping it around as long as they have. But you know they see the writing on the wall as well

5532JWK

Single-Sixer
I spoke with the people at Ruger earlier today and I was told they are definitely discontinuing the number one in all calibers.

rangerbob

Buckeye
When Lipsey's sent out the notice last Friday, this what they had on hand: #1A in 243, 280, and 7-08, #1AB in 338 Federal, #1B in 300 Win, 25-06, 270, & 6.5CM, #1H in 375 H&H &458 Lott, #1RSI in 6.5 x 55, 7 X 57, & 257 Bob, #1V in 220 Swift, 204 Ruger, & 243, and #1S in 30-06, 35 Whelen, and 45-70. Apparently, Ruger sent them everything left in the building. And the dealer prices were reduced to 2010 levels. If the 338 Federal had been a #1A, I'd jumped on it! Bob!! :(

Latest posts