New enhanced Ruger precision rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
See the new enhanced Ruger precision rifle on Gunblast or Real guns website. Of course, I have not been able to find a plain precision rifle at any of my distributors since they were announced last year. Bob! 8)

gtxmonte

Buckeye
So they fixed some issues and now it's an "enhanced" precision rifle.........mmm ok. Noticed they didn't upgrade the barrels......THAT is what they need to enhance

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Nope.........cancelled mine after seeing the barrel issues with 5 others here locally. 3 of those now shoot well since being rebarreled and the other 2 were sold. I put an extra 700 action I had in an alum chassis instead. I'm done with Ruger bolt guns. Finally have learned my lesson

rangerbob

Buckeye
Some additional information on the "enhanced" RPR. Dealer cost is enhanced $141. Ruger is now offering the enhancements individually. The new handguard is part#90589, the Hybrid muzzle brake is #90590, and the aluminum bolt shroud is #90482. So I assume one can update their original rifle to enhanced specs. Bob! 8)

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
gtxmonte said:
Nope.........cancelled mine after seeing the barrel issues with 5 others here locally. 3 of those now shoot well since being rebarreled and the other 2 were sold. I put an extra 700 action I had in an alum chassis instead. I'm done with Ruger bolt guns. Finally have learned my lesson
Amazing how opposite your results are from others. Equally amazing is it happens with any rifle, handgun, scope you name it brought up !

427mach1

Blackhawk
Nomosendero said:
gtxmonte said:
Amazing how opposite your results are from others. Equally amazing is it happens with any rifle, handgun, scope you name it brought up !

Here is a review of that rifle; he was able to obtain an average of 0.81" five-shot groups with several different types of factory ammo. Not 3-shot groups, 5-shot groups, using factory ammo. I'd say that's pretty good for having a lousy barrel.....

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Do a little research........the groups open up on most of them when the barrel gets hot. The profile is too small. I saw the same thing on 5 locally owned rifles in our shooting club. I don't put any stock in ONE isolated incident or internet story. But 5 for 5 on rifles I have seen with my own eyes and shot 4 of them............they ALL have the same problem..............I'm OUT.

427mach1

Blackhawk
gtxmonte said:
Do a little research........the groups open up on most of them when the barrel gets hot. The profile is too small. I saw the same thing on 5 locally owned rifles in our shooting club. I don't put any stock in ONE isolated incident or internet story. But 5 for 5 on rifles I have seen with my own eyes and shot 4 of them............they ALL have the same problem..............I'm OUT.

I'll see the guy that did the review in a week or so. I'll ask him if the let the barrel get hot and if the groups opened up. He does a lot of shooting when he tests rifles so I doubt he had time to let it cool very much between groups.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
427mach1 said:
gtxmonte said:

I'll see the guy that did the review in a week or so. I'll ask him if the let the barrel get hot and if the groups opened up. He does a lot of shooting when he tests rifles so I doubt he had time to let it cool very much between groups.

I am anxious to hear about that. I know that for every bad review or experience I have read on this rifle I have seen at least 5 good ones. Time will tell and I am in no hurry, I have other rifle projects for the moment.

427mach1

Blackhawk
Nomosendero said:
427mach1 said:
gtxmonte said:

I am anxious to hear about that. I know that for every bad review or experience I have read on this rifle I have seen at least 5 good ones. Time will tell and I am in no hurry, I have other rifle projects for the moment.

Sendero, I've read several positive reviews online and have yet to find a negative review. Some have minor gripes but none have said anything about barrel heating issues. Maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places? Have you found any mention of groups opening up?

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Snipers Hide probably has more info on the RPR than anywhere else. The barrel complaints are common. Patriot Valley Arms has a big waiting list on barrels, or at least they did. Frank Gali at the "Hide" is a huge fan of this rifle..............he says it needs a better barrel for all but a beginner

It's a fairly low cost, entry level rifle to get some started in the Precision Rifle shooting series. Entry level means it is not at the top of the heap and was not meant to be. Will the accuracy be good enough for some, absolutely, especially for a beginner. Is it on par with others. No, it needs a little help. The handguards were really cheap and the barrel is hammer forged. The barrel woes seem to be hit and miss. Probably just a bad coincidence that all the ones I shot had stringing issues when hot, as I have seen reviews of good groups when hot. But it is still a nice rifle and a $400 barrel and better handguard still has you in a very nice rifle for pretty cheap.

I had one ordered and already had a new barrel and Seekins rail here for it, but somebody else wanted them worse than me and then I just cancelled the rifle and went another direction

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
LOL,,,, "barrel woes" and all, I went ahead and ordered an enhanced RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Looking forward to getting it in later this week. Also ordered a Vortex PST 6-24 to slap on top of it.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
LOL,,,, "barrel woes" and all, I went ahead and ordered an enhanced RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Looking forward to getting it in later this week. Also ordered a Vortex PST 6-24 to slap on top of it.
Where did you order it from? Did they say it would be in this week?

427mach1

Blackhawk
427mach1 said:

Nomosendero said:

I talked to the reviewer today. He shot the twenty 5-shot groups somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes, making no effort to let the barrel cool between groups. The barrel did get hot, the groups did NOT open up, and there was no change in point of impact. His response to those who claim to have a bad barrel, "They should have sent it back to Ruger. If the barrel starts stringing the groups, it is a problem and it is one that Ruger will take care of."

gtxmonte

Buckeye
You can only do so much with a hammer forged barrel. Same way they make barrels for their other rifles and they have never done anything about accuracy on those.

Post on another board about a Varmint 77 a guy sent in with accuracy issues in a 223. They(Ruger) said it fired a 3 shot group of 3/8" at 50 yards and called it acceptable. A 50 yard, 3 shot, 3/8 group with a 223 Varmint/Target rifle makes it useful as a tent stake.

Stories, reviews aside. I saw what I saw in person, by match shooters, no research required.

As to story posted above. That's 100 rounds. If he shot that in an hour, that equals out to one round every 36 seconds. The RPR barrel contour is not real heavy. A shot every 30 seconds for an hour would have the barrel on fire........... and NO change on POI on a rifle with a factory hammer forged barrel............umm ok.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
427mach1 said:
427mach1 said:

Nomosendero said:

I talked to the reviewer today. He shot the twenty 5-shot groups somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes, making no effort to let the barrel cool between groups. The barrel did get hot, the groups did NOT open up, and there was no change in point of impact. His response to those who claim to have a bad barrel, "They should have sent it back to Ruger. If the barrel starts stringing the groups, it is a problem and it is one that Ruger will take care of."

Thanks for the report, pretty much falls in line with likely 70% of what I read.