RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:42 pm 
Bearcat

Hello everyone, I am looking for some opinions about this problem... I just finished reading the manual front to back for the 3rd time now, and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

My 10/22 Takedown's barrel is being peined over by the bolt and creating a nasty burr that does not allow me to easily pull the barrel from the receiver. The first time this happened I watched a gun smith pry it apart. the pictures below are after Just ~700 rounds with a new barrel, bolt and guide rod assembly installed by Ruger... the gun was cleaned prior to firing and every 200-250 rounds (10 reloads of a BX25). This is the second time this happened. What am I doing wrong?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

I liked my GP100 so much that I thought I would get a 10/22, my logic being; my .357 lived up so well to the "rugged, reliable firearms" catch phrase so well, that Ruger must make all their guns industrial strength... I had the gun for 3 days, spent ~500 rounds with it in the first day, broke it down took it home, cleaned it and so on... the second day, Wednesday my normal day on the range I took the 10/22 along with my with my other, larger guns to stretch the joy of shooting at a reduced cost. Over all I put maybe 900 rounds through it in the first 2 days , cleaned with the rest of the group that night, the 3rd cleaning, and I noticed a slight bit of damage to the barrel ware ever the bolt makes contact, it seemed negligible, at that point more a discoloration than anything else.

Took the gun out for an extended plinking session with my girlfriend on the 3rd day. No problems at first, and I was still very impressed by the design. Between the two of us we used 3 boxes of "Remington Golden Bullet" in 2 different rifles, I am guessing the majority of the 1575 rounds went through the 10/22, but I don't have an accurate count...

At the end of the plinking the gun fired accurately, and ejected as reliably as any.22 ever does, but it would no longer break down. The barrel would come only way out of the receiver, that's it.

I took it back to the Gander mt ware I bought it...for, I had done something strange, something I had never done before; I purchased a store warranty. They pried the barrel out of the receiver, shrugged and sent the gun back to Ruger.

Ruger replaced the bolt, guide rod assembly, barrel, and (for some random reason) the front sight. They sent the gun back 20 days later with no notes other than; Repair, safety function check and test firing have been completed. Released for shipping.

Am I trying to use this gun more heavily than was intended? Other people, more experienced than me, have said it should be able to fire 10,000 rounds without any problems. What are your opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:51 pm 
Ruger Guru

Back to Gander. Request a replacement gun and let them deal with Ruger.

Ruger Owners and Collectors Society
RCA Field Rep Emeritus
Minn Weapons Collectors
Colt Collectors' Assn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 pm 
Ruger Guru

a slight 'bevel' on the barrel stub, and end of problem,,,cannot be "too sharp", it will peen ,you know "swords into plow shares...." 8)

( that little 'extra' step, too costly to take the time to do it "right" the first time, but always time to redo it later on.....) :roll:

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:17 pm 
Bearcat

After about 200 more rounds it will not longer break down at all. Just got back from gander, its on its second trip back to Ruger... I should have asked for a new one and made them fix and resell the defective weapon, but I didn't think of it... they were rude enough, would have felt nice to make some demands. haha. If this happens again I certainly will.

Ruger guy: I agree, a couple thousandths chamfer would solve the problem, I thought about it, I even have access to a lathe... But, should I really have to be modifying a new gun right out of the box, after so few rounds?
Something has got to be wrong with this picture, could a box of ammo in a matter of hours be considered abuse? My fathers old department store Mosberg 22 has withstood that kind of "abuse" for longer than I have been alive...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 am 
Blackhawk

I do not have a take down but it appears that the barrel shank going into the reciever is to long. If you look close at the bolt you can see a circle where it is hitting the barrel. I have a bunch (7) of other 10/22s and none of which do that, I would not be surprised if it comes back with a new barrel or recut barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:15 am 
Hunter

Isn't how far the barrel sets into the reciever the reason for the adjustment nut?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:25 pm 
Single-Sixer

Here's what my TD looked like before I even fired it. I had been dry-firing it only, for a short time. I sent this photo to Ruger and they had me return the rifle. They replaced the barrel and after live-firing it about 100 rounds I inspected it. It looks like it is developing the same damage/impressions on the breach end of the barrel. Not as severe as the first time but how long before it gets to that point?

10/22 Take Down

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:55 pm 
Hawkeye

Curious...did Gander make any mention either way if you purchased their "warrantee"? since according to at least some of their idiot clerks, it's necessary since the gun does't have one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:41 pm 
Hunter

I was thinking that a regular 10/22 barrel should be subjected to the same bolt impact as the take down's. I just removed this barrel from an older 10/22 that has seen many thousand rounds through it. the bolt impact has barely reduced the machining marks.
However it does have a champer cut, so if there was any peening on the barrel face, it could still be removed from the reciever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:14 pm 
Bearcat

I just checked mine - about 900+ rounds, a few dry fires, and I'm also showing signs of barrel wear. It seems to me that barrel fitting is a problem. If it's too loose it wobbles around, and these barrels seem to suggest too little head space. I'm no smith, and I'll ask some shops tomorrow what they think. Some of the bolts seem to be poorly machined and have uneven mating surfaces too - not to mention the poor quality stamped steel firing pin and extractor blade. Really, I'm sorry I bought this thing. A better option for me would be a compact version and swap my good (not Ruger) parts to it. Anybody want to trade? At three hundred dollars I feel ripped off on this poor quality gun. On close inspection it really looks like a cheap toy, and I have no use for one. Can't return it, so I'll keep trying to get it up to speed, but it's for sale with all stock parts.

BTW, thanks to all who posted these issues. Funny this hasn't made it into all the rave reviews eh?

edit: I didn't mean to be harsh - all said, the bolt parts do seem to work fine. I don't mind putting more into a few parts, but having the barrel look like this is scary.

Last edited by 5X5 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:29 am 
Bearcat

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv22 ... 0653sm.jpg

I'll see if I can get this to work. Here's my barrel at less than 1500 rounds, nothing over 1250 and stock parts. Is this considered normal wear?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:46 am 
Bearcat

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv22 ... 0657sm.jpg

Another example by extractor slot. These look worse than just eying the barrel. Maybe this wear stops at a certain point, but the edge of the barrel definitely begins to mushroom out on the edge, as the metal has to go somewhere. I'm just curious if other models have this same looking contact pattern. 1500 rounds is nothing, as I can go 500 a day sometimes. It just doesn't look like it will hold up. Any opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 am 
Bearcat

N20, have you gotten it back yet?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 am 
Blackhawk

The breech face of the take-down barrel has less area to spread the impact from the bolt across than a normal barrel. This will about double the force applied to the breech face of the barrel.

A wise man ounce said, "He who knows he knows knows nothing, he who knows he knows nothing really knows."

Thomas Jefferson said: "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

"The difference between stupid and genius is that genius has it's limits." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 pm 
Bearcat

mine has mushroomed as well after about 1250 rounds. i will be taking a fine file to the end of it and try that.