Single Six S/N 3007XX

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Here is the box that came with mine. It is not shown as a RSSMW on the box end. I do have a letter that states it was shipped in June of '60 as a RSSMW. I have SN:309680

The medallions look the same as mine

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks Mike. I guess the Rene guide book needs to be changed to reflect that your revolver is now the earliest which was shipped with walnut grips. All of the info I have about mine would suggest it also came with the walnuts. I was advised by Ruger customer service that records were not available as early as the ship date of my revolver but they were available for yours?? Possibly I should give up the few dollars and get a letter?

Dantforth said:
Thanks Mike. I guess the Rene guide book needs to be changed to reflect that your revolver is now the earliest which was shipped with walnut grips. All of the info I have about mine would suggest it also came with the walnuts. I was advised by Ruger customer service that records were not available as early as the ship date of my revolver but they were available for yours?? Possibly I should give up the few dollars and get a letter?
Actually I sent an email request on 1 April 2012. They answered and stated, and I quote:
"The information you requested for the above serial number is as follows: Model: RSSMW
Shipped: June 1960
This shipped with blue finish, walnut grips and a 6 1/2" barrel. We do not have any information on the actual box that it shipped in."

street

Hunter
Fox Mike said:
Here is the box that came with mine. It is not shown as a RSSMW on the box end. I do have a letter that states it was shipped in June of '60 as a RSSMW. I have SN:309680

The medallions look the same as mine

Yes! The boxes for the 6 1/2 in Single-Six will only have RSSM as the catalog number for the ones with the hard rubber grips, the walnut grips and the convertibles. Only the Shipping box will have RSSM, for the hard rubber grips. RSSMW for the Walnut grips. And RSSMX for the convertibles, both with hard rubber or walnut. From Jan 1960 till the XR3-RED grip frame started being used the box for the Walnut grip guns would have a sticker on the end of the box saying "WITH WALNUT GRIPS". After the XR3-RED frame started being used all of the grips were Walnut and there was no need to put the sticker on the end of the box. After that the catalog numbers were RSSMW and RSSMX. Although the box still had RSSM on it that catalog number was not used after the XR3-RED grip frame started being used.

chet15

Hawkeye
Dantforth said:
I have already done that. Put a WTB on this morning. I also called Ruger customer service. They advise that this revolver predates any model number information they have but they were able to tell me it left the factory in July 1959. So, while I assume the walnut grips were original from the factory, I have no difinitive proof.

Ruger's answer is goofy. If they can say it shipped in July 1959 then there is a catalog number on that same ledger line that says "RSSM".
If it shipped in July 1959, that is the first month of manufacture for the RSSM. Those originally had rubber grips so the walnut would have been added as an accessory. No loss there because those walnuts are beauties!!
A great gun!!
Walnut panels became a standard item in about January 1960, maybe as early as December 1959.
I also note the cylinder base pin has the wide lands on it. Just a small feature that wasn't used for very long in the Single-Six series.
Chet15

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks Chet. I really like the walnut grip panels as well. Great figure in those. I have submitted a request for a letter. I saw the cylinder base pin as well. Pretty lucky to find such an early one and in great condition. We do not have many collectors here in Canada so a revolver like this can slip through the cracks.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, the exclamation point is added!! I purchased a proper box with manual at a much lower price than I expected to pay. Now I am waiting for my Ruger letter. Thanks to everyone for all their help and comments. David

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, I was like a kid in a candy store when I retrieved the Ruger envelope from the mailbox just now. I will post a photo of it later. I will quote from the letter verbatum "Our records indicate this Single Six revolver was shipped in July 1959 as model Single Six, caliber .22 Long Rifle/.22 W.M.R." In the same letter they have the serial number correct as 300780. How sad is this? Is there nobody at Ruger who knows anything?? I was hoping that they would give me the Model designation as RSSMW showing it indeed came from the factory with the walnut grips and if not at least as RSSM. I was shocked to see no model number at all and that they did not even have it as .22 W.M.R. ONLY? Any suggestions?

chet15

Hawkeye
Dantforth said:
Well, I was like a kid in a candy store when I retrieved the Ruger envelope from the mailbox just now. I will post a photo of it later. I will quote from the letter verbatum "Our records indicate this Single Six revolver was shipped in July 1959 as model Single Six, caliber .22 Long Rifle/.22 W.M.R." In the same letter they have the serial number correct as 300780. How sad is this? Is there nobody at Ruger who knows anything?? I was hoping that they would give me the Model designation as RSSMW showing it indeed came from the factory with the walnut grips and if not at least as RSSM. I was shocked to see no model number at all and that they did not even have it as .22 W.M.R. ONLY? Any suggestions?

Crazy.
First they are calling it a convertible...which it isn't, because there weren't any factory shipped convertibles in July 1959.
The letter is wrong all the way around...and for the $10 you already sent, I'd make them send you another letter.
The gun will letter as either RSSM or RSSMW, but I'm guessing only RSSM.
Chet15

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks Chet. I sent an e-mail to Ruger customer service explaining the problem but have not received an answer. I will call them if I do not hear anything back today. It pains me that they have no more respect for collectors. It seems we are last on their list. You would think that they would have more interest in their own history. We can still access accurate and complete firearm information from many makers from the 1800's so why not Ruger?????

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, here we go again! I did not receive a reply to my e-mail sent to Ruger customer service a week ago. Today I called Ruger @ 336-949-5200 and spoke to Krista. I explained my problem. She said that the letter was correct. I explained nicely that it was in error. I also told her that I was concerned with the lack of a reply to my e-mail. So...get this...she gave me this strange e-mail address
[email protected] and told me to send my concern to them. I asked her for a telephone number for this group as I wanted to talk to someone. I was advised that she had no telephone numbers for that group! How could that be? Not having a choice and being part bulldog I composed another e-mail and sent it in.
Now....I have read many many testimonials to Ruger Customer Service. Why does that same service not apply here? Is Ruger ashamed of it's history? Do they not care to service this section of Ruger owners? The saga continues.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, success at last. This morning I received a telephone call from Linda. She explained what had happened and apologized. Linda advise that I would be receiving a correct letter containing manufacture date, shipping date, model number as shipped and model designation. Ruger Customer Service!! She also sent her e-mail address and phone number for future reference. I am pleased with her professional response.

chet15

Hawkeye
Dantforth said:
Well, success at last. This morning I received a telephone call from Linda. She explained what had happened and apologized. Linda advise that I would be receiving a correct letter containing manufacture date, shipping date, model number as shipped and model designation. Ruger Customer Service!! She also sent her e-mail address and phone number for future reference. I am pleased with her professional response.

Great! Will be good to see that letter!!
Chet15

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Wow! Customer service extraordinary. Received my letter as well as two gifts in the mail yesterday. Letter is shown here. Model did not show walnut grips but I will always believe it came with them. Is the manufactured on date the first day of production?

chet15

Hawkeye
Now that is what a letter should look like. It has been a long time since anybody has seen an exact day shipping date, let alone the exact day manufacture/final inspect date.
Your gun could very well be one of the first shipped. I would say yours got caught at the top of the pile close to when they did start shipping, because the writer's guns and employee guns I have dates on left later in July.
Chet15

street

Hunter
Finally a correct letter from Ruger. This letter shows it was shipped as a Magnum Only with black hard rubber grips.