New look for the FR series!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
Yes, it can be done.
I will likely run one on mine.
You could tap the bottom of the shroud for a sling swivel stud for a Harris bi-pod or you could tap the bottom and put a pic rail on the bottom and attach a Atlas bi-pod on it.
With the FR modification, I think you could shoot it from about any field shooting position very accurately (Without changing POI).
The free-floated shroud/mini-forend, plus the accuracy capability puts it in a league all its own.
Vortex said:
I like it!
Are you able to mount a bipod to the shroud? I can't tell from the pics.

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
Just for giggles I compared TOF with two of my Specialty Pistols: 7mm SAUM and a 6.5x47 Lapua.
IF my 357 Mag FR has a MV of 1500 fps with the 170 grain Sierra takes right at 1.35 seconds to get to 500 yards.
The two SP's get to 950 yards and 900 yards respectively in the same time frame.
Lock time will also be slower with my Gee-Pee :mrgreen:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Haha... I know you're good Ernie, but a "1,000yrd Jerry Shot" for 6 shots... You gonna hold up that 12.5" barrel off hand for that long?

I can't wait to see the video WHEN it happens :)

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
No, No, No, No, No!
Not doing off-hand shooting.

Sometimes just ignore Chris-Ha! :mrgreen:

I'm interested in groups at distance, not hitting a target, so I will shoot the same way I would with a specialty pistol or rifle (Bench, prone, or using a field rest).

Last, what Jerry has done is not up for grabs from me. He is an awesome shooter.
My LR goals are not beat anyone but to satisfy and set my own goals.
A 6-shot group @ 500 yards, is my first one.

Varminterror said:
Haha... I know you're good Ernie, but a "1,000yrd Jerry Shot" for 6 shots... You gonna hold up that 12.5" barrel off hand for that long?

I can't wait to see the video WHEN it happens :)

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Yeah, just yanking your chain a bit!

I'm always in awe of Jerry's capabilities, as if there's one thing as a firearm enthusiast that I'd like to count myself as is a "wheelman," and I can't say that I don't expect Jerry to get counted among the revolvermen like Elmer, Skeeter, Taffin, growing into folks like Ayoob in the future.

BUT...

I also wonder how many takes that they shot to get that 1,000yrd off hand shot on the 2nd shot! Or how many boxes he fired to get ready to film!

(Disclaimer: Not taking anything away from the effort, as there is no volume of ammunition nor hours in a year that I could employ to get a video of myself making the same shot with a 9mm revolver!!! Just pointing out my doubt that it was his first time shooting that scenario, and likely not first time trying to film it!)

So Ernie, what made you decide to go with a 12.5" on yours? Balance, velocity, looks, portability/overall size? I spent a bit of time PM'ing bfr4570 about barrel length choices for SP's, not quite sure I have a handle on how I'd choose yet, and I know I pick revolver lengths by portability more than anything else, but wondering what went into your decision making process?

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
Longer barrel mainly for the distance.
Gives me a better MV too.
In the future I will have a more traditional length FR (probably a 6").

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
I rarely would hunt and make a shot on a game animal off-hand, so the weight forward is not a issue.
The only off-hand shot I have ever made on game was on a whitetail doe at 35 yards. I was crossing a wheat field and some does popped out at the edge of it. I had a center grip XP-100, chambered in 7.82 Patriot with a 150 grain NBT @ 3001 fps. I had already turned the power down on the Burris 3-12 LER, as I knew I was going to be getting into heavier cover soon. It was a one-and-done scenario. I do practice from the off-hand position standing, but try to never use it.
I am always looking for any kind of rest to be more steady.
I want to have a well placed shot when hunting. I can always hoot more accurately with some kind of field rest.
Also, the length is not detrimental for hunting for me, as I would have it in like a Bianchi Hush set-up, in my pack in my hand. When hunting with my FA 454 7.5", I never carried it on my hip.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Did a little shooting with the fr today. 125 yards. 158 xtp.

Kept pulling one shot....I called it...and all I wanted was the wallet group :(:)

drastic_quench

Bearcat
You should apply this to the Super Redhawk. The 44, 454, and 480 will all deliver substantially more killing power/ KO value / etc at those 100 yr plus ranges. Could be a hell of a hunting handgun - from a ground blind anyhow.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
The redhawk is not a problem.

The super redhawk is a pain in the rear to work with.

Plus their frame extension is in the way.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
drastic_quench said:
You should apply this to the Super Redhawk. The 44, 454, and 480 will all deliver substantially more killing power/ KO value / etc at those 100 yr plus ranges. Could be a hell of a hunting handgun - from a ground blind anyhow.

I had the same question, since I'm not really a 357mag fan, but would love to see it in a harder hitting round. But after talking to Chris and Ernie and hearing more of what kind of velocities they're getting... I think the simple answer is - This ain't your daddy's 357mag...

The SRH's 'nose' complicates this type of project, but they tell me "it's coming". One easy solution to simplify life (strut design at least), even if it DOES increase your machining time/cost, is to cut the nose of the SRH off and make it into a standard RH front end. So more complicated mounting and more machining on the strut, or more machining on the frame. Building on a 44mag or 45colt Redhawk would save that step, so unless you really want a 454 or 480, that might be the better option.

But really, if you look at what this thing can do with a 357mag: 170grn pill at 1500fps or 158grn at 1700fps or 125grn at 2000fps...

If you run those numbers, you'll have more going for you at 150-200yrds than a standard 158grn @ 1250fps does at the muzzle. More energy, higher TKO, the whole nine... With the right bullet involved, and the right shooter behind it, this thing promises to turn a Specialty Revolver into a real 200yrd deer killing option.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
I have actually settled on my 158 going 1500.

I had it worked up this morning and it gave be 1399 average. I thinkers with it and got to an average of 1500.

If powders were not so hard to come by it would be easier. H110 will give more velocity.

drastic_quench

Bearcat
Velocities sound similar to 357 lever guns, which is expected given the barrel length pictured.

Would this mod work on Ruger single actions, I wonder.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
I will be working on the Blackhawk soon. The ejector rod isn't an issue. Only thing to work out is the cyl pin.

cas6969

Buckeye
bcgunworks said:
Out of respect to your forum I won't post links to the other forums.

Why not? You came to advertise your product here, post the links.

SP or somewhere else?

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
cas said:
bcgunworks said:
Out of respect to your forum I won't post links to the other forums.

Why not? You came to advertise your product here, post the links.

SP or somewhere else?

I always thought it was not polite to advertise another forum. Just a general rule I have always gone by.

Sure I guess the ultimate motivation is to sell the product. But the main reason for sharing it everywhere was the fact that I am ecstatic about the accuracy break through. It's something we don't see in the wheel gun world.