I don't have a .22...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Use it??? Casual target shooting at a range some. Shooting paper targets at an outdoor range some. Maybe plinking. Sitting in the safe and being mine mostly.

JFB

Hunter
I got an SP101 to excercise double action shooting and hopefully reduce a flinch I have with the Alaskan
guns001_zps21876371.jpg

have been enjoying it greatly especially with CCI Quite and it has helped with the flinch.
warning though...the trigger pull is a bear! it is a good workout for the trigger finger and the isometrics of the hold on sight

I have a couple of cute Bearcats that look like they will be a Hoot, however they are earmarked for my cousins when they get more mature
guns002_zps75646541.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
First question: What are you going to use it for? Casual plinking, competition, etc. ?

Well, then I'd just get whichever of the several models Ruger offers that appeals to you the most. They're all good guns.

Personally I'd go with a convertible Single Six w/5.5" barrel (0621) & and make some wood grips for it simply because I like the option of lr or mag. I have a 9422M and plenty of ammo, and it would be a nice companion piece for the lever gun. I'd have to get a proper cowboy rig also of course, to match the one for my Blackhawk. :)

Dang. Now I've got the itch. :lol: 8)

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Like my Single 10 as well as my SP 101. But if you only want to buy one pick up a S&W 617 10 shot.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
If it were me, I would wait for the new gp100 ten shoot 22cal that's coming out soon, we hope.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...

I was looking for a new .22lr revolver for a few months earlier this year.

I thought the S&W 617 was a bit expensive and the LGS only had Ruger SAs with the fiber-optic front sight which I did not want.

I was walking through a gun show back in late June when I saw a guy selling a Dan Wesson DA .22Lr for $450 in nearly pristine condition.

It is a bit large and heavy, but it hangs on target very well and throws all of its bullets into a very small area, even off-hand. I am well pleased with it.

I do intend to pick up a Ruger SA in stainless with an interchangeable .22Mag cylinder eventually, if I can find a good deal.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Woodperson,

Ya said...
"Use it??? Casual target shooting at a range some. Shooting paper targets at an outdoor range some. Maybe plinking. Sitting in the safe and being mine mostly."

A good,honest answer.

"What about the .22 convertibles?"
If yer talking 22 LR vs 22 MAGNUM ,in a revolver.........Lose that Idea.....
Ohh, I own a 22 magnum rifle...love it,...........but in the short barrel of a handgun, the .22 magnum not efficient.

Sounds like ya want to enter the .22 long rifle round handgun world.

Prolly about to piss off a few members,but......
The reasons ya described ...Ya might wanna consider a RUGER Mark series,semi-auto rimfire instead.

Owned a stainless SUPER SIX model........1 cylinder .22 long rifle, other .22 magnum..
A very fun gun......but 22 magnums need a rifle barrel to burn the powder.
Unburned powder in a handgun,not accuracy friendly.

The .22Long rifle MARK 1 is the gun that started RUGER.
And to this day, in my opinion,the MARK series is still one of the more accurate,most reliable handguns .22's ever made.

Of course....Just one guy's opinion.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I bought a New Model Super Single Six convertible back in 1977 in SS. It has a 6.5 inch barrel. It has been great over the years in the role you want yours for. Countless bricks of .22 and many many boxes of .22 Mag.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
GhosT said:
Woodperson,

Ya said...
"Use it??? Casual target shooting at a range some. Shooting paper targets at an outdoor range some. Maybe plinking. Sitting in the safe and being mine mostly."

A good,honest answer.

"What about the .22 convertibles?"
If yer talking 22 LR vs 22 MAGNUM ,in a revolver.........Lose that Idea.....
Ohh, I own a 22 magnum rifle...love it,...........but in the short barrel of a handgun, the .22 magnum not efficient.

Sounds like ya want to enter the .22 long rifle round handgun world.

Prolly about to piss off a few members,but......
The reasons ya described ...Ya might wanna consider a RUGER Mark series,semi-auto rimfire instead.

Owned a stainless SUPER SIX model........1 cylinder .22 long rifle, other .22 magnum..
A very fun gun......but 22 magnums need a rifle barrel to burn the powder.
Unburned powder in a handgun,not accuracy friendly.

The .22Long rifle MARK 1 is the gun that started RUGER.
And to this day, in my opinion,the MARK series is still one of the more accurate,most reliable handguns .22's ever made.

Of course....Just one guy's opinion.

OM 6.5" Single Six, 25 yds, .22 WMR... :wink:

Standard postcard target btw

eveled

Hawkeye
375supermag said:
Hi...
I thought the S&W 617 was a bit expensive

I thought the same thing until I bought one. It is worth every penny. I have ten .22 hand guns all good quality ones and the 617 is my favorite by far. With that said I think everybody should have a single six convertible. The only thing I would trade the 617 for would be a .22 security six (which they never made AFAIK) .

My advice to the OP would be to get a .22 that is as close as possible to his favorite big gun. I like the way my 617 and my 627 go together.

627617005_zps78037dc5.jpg

My full lug 6 shot SP101 and my GP100

fathersonset002_zps9b38820c.jpg

Two Jframes

22001_zps958f18af.jpg

k22fan

Blackhawk
eveled said:
[...] My advice to the OP would be to get a .22 that is as close as possible to his favorite big gun. [...]

That's the way to get a .22 you'll shoot the most.

I find full size .22s easier to shoot accurately and I don't see where lighter weight or smaller size will be advantageous for you. However it appears I'm in the minority as smaller size .22 pistols out sell full size .22s.

You can guess my favorite by my screen name but this is the Ruger forum, and as previously posted new and the nicer used K frame .22s have gotten expensive. The .22 GP 100 that's coming out will likely cost around $250 less than a new S&W 617. I'd be looking at the new GP or a shooter grade K frame .22, but SA revolver, DA revolver or automatic, it's what ever floats your boat.