DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KEYBEAR

Bearcat
I have some Blackhawk three screws I am going to sell . I have been ask by a number of people if the gun I have for sale has been converted ? Does it make a big difference or what .
I myself would not buy a Blackhawk that has been converted . I would buy a new model first if I did not like better actions and a nicer blue job .

dakota1911

Buckeye
Must admit I would not buy an old one that had been converted. I got into this when I bought a SS Bearcat about the time Ruger announced they were going to make them. About the same time I picked up a NIB early one at a gun show. That little guy has been shot now. Still people keep asking me if I am going to send it in and have it converted. Heck no. The SS one has the transfer bar if I was going to carry one plus they are both range toys.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes, it does make a difference,,,, IF you have the original parts or not. If you have an OM, & it's been converted, & the original parts are there,,, no big issue or price difference. BUT,,,,,, if you have an OM, and it's been converted, and the original parts are missing,,, it can make the value decrease by $100-$175 easily. That's the normal cost of replacement parts.

princeout

Blackhawk
I agree with Contender. The other thing to consider is that at least one leading 'smith generally will not do custom work on a converted gun unless the conversion parts remain in place. In other words, if you buy a converted flattop, return it to the original 4 click system and then ask about having custom work done, it will be turned down. It boils down to a liability issue and taking ownership for returning a converted gun to it's previously "dangerous" system.
Tim

KEYBEAR

Bearcat
I have a guy that has PM me three time on different Blackhawks all three Screw guns and ask if they have been converted . Every time I tell him no he is not interested then .

princeout

Blackhawk
KEYBEAR said:
I have a guy that has PM me three time on different Blackhawks all three Screw guns and ask if they have been converted . Every time I tell him no he is not interested then .

Well, if he buys them and wants them converted, all he needs to do is call Ruger for a shipping tag, mail them off and they will be back shortly, converted at no cost. To each his own.
Tim

contender

Ruger Guru
Wow,,, the opposite of what most of us want. The original OM action is sweeter, smoother, and just plain better than any converted OM. All it takes is a bit of knowledge to know how to load & carry an OM to make it safe. From 1873 until 1973, (1873, the Colt SAA, until 1973, the NM Ruger) people were taught to "Load one, skip one, load four, fully cock & lower the hammer on an empty chamber."
Even today, many other brands still offer clones of the Colt SAA that require the same procedure.

I do know a few folks have posted that they want the safety transfer bar system. Fine,,, that's why Ruger makes the NM.
I have found that IN MY EXPERIENCE, a converted OM is rougher feeling than a regular production NM.

I say that those of us who prefer to own an original OM will appreciate finding them as built from the factory!

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I prefer to have Old Models that have not been converted but if the gun was nice enough I would probably buy it anyway. I find while carrying my Old Models I rarely if ever truly need round number six. To some collectors, for instance if the gun were an original Flat Top, who probably wouldn't buy it or would not pay as much for an unconverted gun.
I concur with my other learned colleagues that an Old Model that has not been converted shoots a bit smoother. I have had several examples of both and to me when that transfer bar goes in, that smooth trigger pull goes out the window.

I have found that IN MY EXPERIENCE, a converted OM is rougher feeling than a regular production NM.

I have to agree with that. I personally prefer to buy OM's that haven't been converted. I like the old way of operating a single action. But if you really want to carry six and have a transfer bar, a NM feels better than a converted OM. I guess that shouldn't be surprising since the conversion was something shoehorned into an existing design. The NM was drawn up and manufactured that way.

As far as "Would I buy a converted OM?," it would depend on how rare and desirable the gun was. If it was some kind of variation that I have always wanted to own and the conversion was the only flaw, I would probably buy it. But with the full intention of buying the parts here online and converting it back.

Gregg

Terry T

Buckeye
Just had to add my $0.02 worth on this subject - Everyone says that "everyone knew to load 1, skip 1 load 4" in a single action. Well, I DID NOT KNOW and no one told me when I bought my Bearcat in 1960! :shock: I thought the 'safety notch' was just that! I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I personally know a family who lost their breadwinner because a Blackhawk fell out of a holster and (as they always do) landed on it's hammer, 'safety notch' and all. A .357 magnum through the chest out in the bush doesn't leave a lot of options.

What I'm trying to say is that if 'common sense' is a sense (knowledge / understanding) that is common among us, then a lot of folks really don't know and therefore really don't have common sense about these old style single actions.

So....If I'm going to carry a single action, I REALLY prefer the transfer bar models.

I have an 1872 Colt open top reproduction that I really like and the only way to use it is the load 1, skip 1, load 4. And yes, I would carry it that way BUT I prefer the transfer bar. :shock:

That said, as a collector, of course, the more original, the better. :D

In my opinion, the unconverted single actions, including 1911s, I might add, are best left to the 'gunnies'. They really can be dangerous in the hands of the uninformed.
Terry T

Hondo44

Hawkeye
KEYBEAR said:

If you advertised on this forum for conversion parts, you'll probably have folks send them to for the cost of postage. They are for sale on ebay and Gunbroker as well. Install them and sell your guns. Then you can sell the original parts here and make another $400!

yes, I have sets of " new conversion" parts, that I would sell fairly cheap, to me the OM is the way to go, and if its converted, then "pricing" is accordingly "cheaper" may get into the "deal" ( bargain) range...... 8) :roll: :wink:

(bottom line , the 'parts' are "out there" one way or another....) :)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
princeout said:
I agree with Contender. The other thing to consider is that at least one leading 'smith generally will not do custom work on a converted gun unless the conversion parts remain in place. In other words, if you buy a converted flattop, return it to the original 4 click system and then ask about having custom work done, it will be turned down. It boils down to a liability issue and taking ownership for returning a converted gun to it's previously "dangerous" system.
Tim

Fortunately none of the gunsmiths I deal with have such an attitude!

Bob Wright

princeout

Blackhawk
Bob,

Not really an attitude - just a business decision. When a 'smith does extensive work on a gun and removes a manufacturer's safety feature, he then takes on any liability associated with disabling that safety feature. Ruger already fought that battle in the courts and lost so it would be tough for a small shop to set new legal precedence and win. The gentleman I mention has no negative attitude whatsoever, and will work on converted guns as long as the work retains the conversion parts. He is merely protecting himself and his business in what is a difficult spot in a litigious society. Liability law is a minefield best avoided, especially for those of us, like me, who are blissfully ignorant of the intricacies.

He is also really good at what he does! If you ever handled one of his guns, you might not think it good fortune to miss out on the experience of owning one.

Tim