P345 recoil spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jocro

Bearcat
Is there a large and small end of the recoil spring? And if there is, which end goes where? Thanks......JOE

welder

Buckeye
slippingaway":133u48ir said:
Yes there is. Large end toward muzzle.

Is it possible the spring was changed by Ruger? I read these posts earlier and pulled mine out and measured it, and both ends were identical. The gun is completely original. Any thoughts?

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I don't know. I can tell one end is bigger, because when I insert it into the slide, it's harder to push in, and won't fall out. If I put the other end in, it falls right out. They may have changed it.

superglider

Bearcat
From the manual on the Ruger Website under "To Reassemble":

3. Replace camblock and recoil spring assembly into position. Rear end of
camblock seats against barrel lug. Make sure that the large end of the recoil
spring goes into the slide.

If they've changed anything, it hasn't made it to their site yet. You might want to contact Ruger and tell them about this. They may just send you a new spring.

Ski

Bearcat
How was the spring measured... The difference is not large... Take a .45 ACP FMJ round and place it into each end of the spring. You should see an obvious difference in the depth to which the round goes into the spring....

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
If you don't have a measuring device, an easy way to tell is to take one of your 45 ACP FMJ cartridges and slip each end of the spring over the end of the bullet. It should be noticeable which end of the spring slides farther over the bullet (larger end of course)...and as instructed earlier, the larger spring end goes toward the muzzle. It is important and WILL make a difference in the accuracy of the pistol.

Just after purchasing mine, I brought it back to have the shop touch up a tool mark on the bead blasted area of the slide...which they did for free. Anyway, I tell the gunsmith about this and to be careful in the reassembly. He gives me one of those looks like, "I'm the gunsmith here...who are you to tell me."

Well, he did a great job on the bead blast touchup...can't even tell. So, I take it to the range and immediately notice I am getting one or two accurate hits and then flyers a few inches out of group. Take it apart and, yep, the gunsmith put the spring in backwards :x .

So, I flipped it around, reassembled, and accuracy was spot on as it had always been before.

Regards,

MD

welder

Buckeye
I measured it with my reloading caliper. I get 0.490in. and 0.489in. No visible difference. I laid it on the table and all coils were flush on bottom, it rolled evenly as it did when new. Tried the .45 rd and it went down the same amount. I read the manual when I got it new and remember not being able to see a difference then. I thought no more about it thinking maybe Ruger made a change. Now I'm wondering if I even have the right spring. The gun has also had a sluggish return to battery since new, and took several mags to cycle right. I replied to a post about the same thing months ago to someone who's 345 wouldn't return to battery reliably. I am going to call Ruger tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks guys for all the replies.

xyz100

Bearcat
welder":32gpxqc8 said:
I measured it with my reloading caliper. I get 0.490in. and 0.489in. No visible difference. I laid it on the table and all coils were flush on bottom, it rolled evenly as it did when new. Tried the .45 rd and it went down the same amount. I read the manual when I got it new and remember not being able to see a difference then. I thought no more about it thinking maybe Ruger made a change. Now I'm wondering if I even have the right spring. The gun has also had a sluggish return to battery since new, and took several mags to cycle right. I replied to a post about the same thing months ago to someone who's 345 wouldn't return to battery reliably. I am going to call Ruger tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks guys for all the replies.

My spring seems to be the same at both ends. Mine P345 also had issue chambering first round and being sluggish going to battery. Polishing sharp edge where feeding ramp becomes the chamber solved the issue 100%. Did not see any accuracy change relativce to the spring orientation. The gun is extremely accurate period.

welder

Buckeye
Looks like there may be some more out there like mine. I have decided to get a new Wolff spring anyway. They offer 3 different power levels and I am going to move up a couple of pounds. Hopefully that will help the battery sluggishness a little more too. I polished the feed ramp and after 200-300 rds or so it is already much better too.