EC9s, MSRP $299. How is it different than the LC9s?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just saw an ad for Ruger's new (I think) EC9s, touted as a less expensive every day carry gun. To me it looks just like the LC9s other than what appear to be lesser quality sights. Am I missing something? That price is certainly attractive.

I got the email too and was just as confused.... the add even says it is a LC9s "now with integral sights and a no-hassle price point that won't break the bank. " Seems EC stands for Everyday Carry.

Next they will come out with the EODC... Every Other Day Carry or maybe the OOSC.... Only On Sunday Carry......

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I'm impressed they got the price down to nearly $200. I'm of the opinion that your carry gun is possibly the one thing in life you shouldn't go cheap on. I guess as mentioned it's a lc9s with worse sights and worse finish at a great price.

In Ruger's favor I'd say why would anyone by a hi-point if this is available? It will probably be a huge seller.

So, it really cost an additional $30-40 (assuming distributor-dealer markups of 3X) to include the windage adjustable rear and pinned in front sights over this model with the sights made into the slide material?
I guess I could put some paint on these sights like I'd do with my snub revolvers, but personally I'd rather have the options to change out the sights as with the LC9 -- so I'd still go with the $299 LC9 over the $200 Economy9

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Paint the front sight day-glo yellow or blaze orange and for $200 you have a good car/boat/tackle box "it's already ugly" gun.

mac66

Single-Sixer
It is less expensive in both time and materials to mill the sights into the slide than make cuts and add sights afterward. With the exception of the different finish that's the only difference between the E (economy)C9 and the LC9s.

I have an original LC9 with the original sights that have remained unchanged for the three years I've EDC'd it. I've been toying with getting a LC9s but it's not worth it to me to lose money on to trade or sell off the original. The EC9 is pretty much even up in terms of what I could buy one vs. sell off my LC9. Integral fixed sights seems to have been the standard on snub nose revolvers and service pistols for decades if not centuries so it's not a big issue to me. As people say, a little paint makes 'em more visible.

My system is simple... never sell or trade a gun... when I decided I need a new gun for what ever reason the 'old' one just becomes and investment.... which I presume my wife will have to deal with one day.

I'm not really interested in the new LC9... but if one is sitting there when I walk by with $200 in my pocket... who knows... as I've said, I really wish they would step up and make one with a stainless slide and stainless mags....

what's the difference between blued and black oxide and which is 'better'?

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
My first " Pocket 9 " was a Taurus PT709 ... It still is my main Pocket 9 .. It works ...
But after buying a XDS45 .. Just love that pistol . So I got a XDS9 .. love the sights ..love the size ..

I never fired the LC9s , until after I purchased the PT709 or XDS9 ... I shot a LC9s a couple of weeks ago at the range my Glockhead buddy has had one for awhile.. I really like the pistol ...the trigger is really nice ... I don't see a LC9s in my future, but a EC9s at a 200.00 range .. Yes I see how that is a possibility.. We will see them at $185.00 to 195.00 range .. Cost of a really nice pocket knife .. And the new to the carry game will snatch them fast ..

And old fellows like me.. throws the "need" equation out the door and the bargin switch takes over !

Blackjack10

Bearcat
Having owned, shot and recommended several LC9S's, including my favorite Pro model, I was very interested in the EC9S and ran out and bought one as soon as they showed up at the local gun store. $239--no special deal but far cheaper than the LC9S at the same place. Then yesterday I hit the range to put four mags through it. The gun functioned perfectly. Fit and finish are fine, if simple, not significantly different from the LC9S. The sights aren't a problem for me, they're clear, easy to use and the gun is plenty accurate for what it is. The trigger didn't feel any different than my LC9Ss. I've been carrying it since then. The gun strikes me as exactly what Ruger had in mind--an inexpensive alternative to the Shield, the LC9S, and their competitors. As cheap as it must be to make these little striker fired guns, I wouldn't be surprised to see S&W or others follow suit in a race to the cheapest. The demand must really be there for this type of gun. The place I bought mine got in 5 on a Monday. Saturday I picked up the next to the last one.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I emailed Galloway Precision a few days ago and asked if their performance parts - specifically the recoil spring and guide rod assy. would work in the EC9s. They were not aware that the gun was on the market, but judging from what they could find out the lead gunsmith said it would. Just mentioning this in case anyone wants to upgrade.

This assembly includes a 22lb recoil spring, slide opening reducer, balance striker spring for correct ignition and steel rod. $38.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lc9s/captured-sure-feed-guide-rod-assembly-for-Ruger-lc9s/

eagore1975

Bearcat
Leucoandro said:
I was trying to figure out the differences too.

It looks like the EC9 has a polymer trigger too.

Charlie

its not a polymer trigger, just checked and a magnet sticks to it. I picked up my new ec9s Thursday at my LGS for $245 he just received it that day and hadn't even unboxed it when I walked in and had to add it to my collection. shoots great, runs flawless and had hopefully fulfilled my itch to own an lc9s, just at less of an expense since its basically my 3rd 9mm in this size and I didn't exactly "need" it.