The LCP Max and Different Ammo -

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ImDrRich

Bearcat
If anything has gotten me back to weekly trips to the range, it's this gun. I have about 400 rounds though mine and not one FTF or other problem. The slide locks back on an empty magazine and the gun functions flawlessly. Kudos to Ruger on this one. As I've said elsewhere, customer service is friendly and excellent.

Two Questions, if you will.

I've run just about every type of ammo (no +P) through my LCP Max and get varied results. Sometimes I read on line that folks are worried that the little gun is not capable of regular shooting due to its construction (for example, shooting 50 rounds a week) and should be limited to once a month just to "check it." True?

Secondly, even though I have replaced the guide rod with a stainless steel one, I've done no other alterations to the gun. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Why am I reading that everyone loves the LCP Max but then swaps out the trigger, changes the outer recoil spring, etc.?

Yep, I am with you. Pretty much all of my guns are stock. My LCP Max functions well. They are a "clone" of the KelTec 3AT. Some people would put 200-300 rounds through them in a range session and complain about failures Lol. The gun is meant to be carried a lot, and shot a little. It isn't going into a war zone type of gun. Why did you change out the guide rod? The flexible guide rod is there to prevent damage to the frame. Good luck!
gramps

pyth0n

Buckeye
I don't know that anyone has yet done a 10000 round eval on one so there's no answer to that one. It's main purpose is self defense not a target gun. But you canshoot it as often as you want to stay proficient with it. I've run several hundred rounds through mine & I'm not to concerned about any damage at this point. I changed the trigger to remove a good deal of pre travel & I'm satisfied with the results. For some, it cured a pinched finger problem between the trigger guard & trigger. I did not change the guide rod & spring because there was no reason to, As you mentioned, If it ain't broke don't fix it.

HIkayer

Bearcat
I changed out the trigger on my LCP Max because the factory trigger raised a blister on my index finger after two mags. It did this twice.

Tonight I put about 100 rounds through it and no blister.

Mine is 100% with FMJ ammo, but (see my other post) only about 60% reliable with Hornady Critical Defense and American Gunner. The bullets hang up against the top side of the chamber on the way in. They can be cleared with a solid rap to the slide, but 4-5 times each mag?

Tonight was the first time I tried defensive ammo.

I've got between 500 and 1000 rounds through mine. I see no reason not to shoot the LCP regularly. Small as it is, I need more practice with it than my other carry pieces. It's a polymer framed autoloader just like the Glocks, S&Ws, Sigs, and the others, etc. It's calibrated to the recoil of 380 ammo. No metal frame to crack. I see no reason for it not to hold up. I rather doubt Ruger would say not to shoot it much.

Have you heard of LCPs not holding up under round counts of 10k-20k?

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I have 1050 rounds through my Max. I was shooting it weekly but have reduced its range trip round count since hitting 1000. It may hold up just fine but it's proven itself at 1000 and I don't want to wear it out.

I have read on the other Ruger forum of a few guys having worn out original LCP models with high round counts. I don't have those particulars handy and can't verify them.

ericbc7

Bearcat
Yep, I am with you. Pretty much all of my guns are stock. My LCP Max functions well. They are a "clone" of the KelTec 3AT. Some people would put 200-300 rounds through them in a range session and complain about failures Lol. The gun is meant to be carried a lot, and shot a little. It isn't going into a war zone type of gun. Why did you change out the guide rod? The flexible guide rod is there to prevent damage to the frame. Good luck!
gramps
The plastic (as opposed to stainless) guide rod is not flexible to protect the frame, it's flexible because it's plastic and less weight. The stainless guide rods add a little weight and can impart less drag on the recoil spring. In mag dump-stress tests the plastic guide rod is often the first thing to fail (by melting) but those tests are not real-world scenarios. plastic is fine for most cases.

ImDrRich

Bearcat
Hikayer said:

"Have you heard of LCPs not holding up under round counts of 10k-20k?"

I believe this is the million dollar question. Is there data anywhere, on folks who have put 5,000 or more rounds though their LCP Max? I'd really be interested in knowing. My LCP Max is my EDC and I shoot a box of ammo through it once a month and then clean it.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Some time ago on this site there was a thread on LCP longevity and someone wrote the KelTec P-3AT was said to be good for 3000-5000 rounds and figured the LCP was good for at least that, although Ruger wouldn't put that in writing. If true, I'd assume the LCP Max is as least as good - but that's just my assumption.

Well-known gun YouTubers and websites proclaim "you need 500 rounds without any failure" before you can say your carry gun is reliable - this may be after a 100-200 round "break-in period".

My LCP (2nd generation) of 2016 has only 189 rounds through it and I had my one and only failure just this week: failure to extract. This was with Winchester white box. It fed Hornady Critical Defense and other hollowpoints just fine.

After 35 years I have only two semiauto handguns over 500 rounds with a perfect record: a Ruger Mk II (4700+ rounds) and a S&W 5904 (750+ rounds). My Beretta 92FS, Glock 41, and CZ 75B have no failures either, but I haven't yet put 500 rounds through them.

Last edited:

ImDrRich

Bearcat
Thanks for your Reply.

With regard to the Kel-Tec, should one assume that after, let's say, 5000 rounds, the gun should be removed from your "reliable" carry rotation?

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your Reply.

With regard to the Kel-Tec, should one assume that after, let's say, 5000 rounds, the gun should be removed from your "reliable" carry rotation?
Well, it's all hearsay. Someone in an LCP longevity thread mentioned KelTec and 5000 rounds and said the LCP's should be good for that. So, I'm guilty of repeating the hearsay (I'll see if I can find the thread).

There is one YouTube video where a guy is shooting his LCP after 1000 rounds; seems fine. I'd say that as long as you don't see damage, don't get failures, and replace springs and such, you could continue to use it.

EDIT: here's the thread - the count mentioned was 2000, not 5000, my mistake

Last edited: