P90 or SR1911 ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Have to offer up the P345 as the BEST of the P-series guns. Safe, lightweight, has a rail for the appliance crowd, and "middle-of-the-night reliable" for me. Essentially the same size pkg as a Commander, and it fits my hands well. Wife#1 likes it also, and she has great confidence with it. (I never presume I will be the only one reaching for it under stress).

Al James

Hunter
Shameless plug for anyone considering a P90:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=233571

jimjc

Single-Sixer
dakota1911 said:
Get the SR1911 and the CMD version or maybe CMD-LW. Let me explain. Have a P90 and several of the SR1911 series. Below the P90 and my SR1911CMD.

Now the P90 is about 33.54oz and the SR1911CMD, being an all steel gun is 36.65oz, both with an empty mag. But look at the sight radius of both.

Now look at both of them from the top....

I have been wanting to take them both to the range on the same day with the same ammo and shoot them back to back but have not gotten around to it yet. Of course now I have the SR1911CMD-LW, but it is lighter than the P90 at 28.76 ounces with an empty mag.

Then you get into the problem with replacement parts or even extra mags on the P90 compared to the tons of parts you can get for 1911 type pistols. You see on other forums where people have basically put tons of aftermarket parts on the SR1911.

I was going to post a reply until I read yours. You said it all.+++
I have the 1911 CMD. and want to get the light weight soon.

Sooner44

Bearcat
I own both. The SR1911 is a great pistol, I love this pistol.
On the other hand, I would not give the P90 to my worst enemy, the P90 I "owned" was a POS from the start.

Al James

Hunter
If there was an unlike button my wife would use it because I used her ottoman as a back drop for those greasy pigs..... :lol: :oops:

Thank goodness for the clean-ability of microfiber......

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
I had a P90 about 20 years ago. It was great. Digested every different round I put through it. Accurate and reliable.
What I didn't like was that it seemed to move in slow motion. Fire a round and it was almost like I could move to the side and watch it cycle. It was unnerving! :roll:
I sold it to a buddy.
About (geeeeez!) 10 years ago I bought a P97 ... polymer, don't ya know. It works as reliable and accurately as the 90. Seems to cycle at normal speed too ... :mrgreen:
I have an Auto Ordnance 1911A1. I prefer the form of the 1911 but if I had to carry daily I would take the P97 (or 90). Bulkier but I know it cycles hollow points. The 1911A1 is not fond of HP rounds. I had a P95 that was the same. Accyrate and reliable. Gave it to son #2.
Coincidentally, my Dad bought a P90 about 5 years ago (new old stock). He just entered assisted living .... I own a P90 again .... with Pachmayr grip panels .... just like the one I had 20 years ago!!

demented

Single-Sixer
My thoughts are I can buy a 1911 any time, super nice 90's are getting harder to find all the time. Then there's if the P 90 cost lots less, it becomes a no brainer for me.