Factory Engraved S&W 44 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc44

Single-Sixer
I have collected Ruger and S&W 44 Magnums for many years and have always been fascinated with factory engraved examples. This 44 Magnum was engraved in Germany for S&W in the fall of 1957, shipped to Rex Firearms in NYC in December 1957, and to the person who ordered the gun in early January 1958. S&W often sent revolvers to Germany or to engravers like Alvin White when they wanted a special job done. This is probably the best example of an engraved and inlaid modern S&W I have ever seen. The cost to Rex Firearms was $720.

Bill

orig.jpg

G2

Hunter
PERTY

Naaahh,,, REAL PERTY !!!

... and as usual Excelent Photography

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
:D All of the above, plus the fact that retail, as I recall, w/o embellishments, was $125. That engraving package was not inexpensive, considring what the value of a dollar was, at that time in the USA.......BTW, do you still have the pre-29 prototype you told me of, when I shipped off that early 4 screw 8 3/8" Model 29 to you 11 + years ago? Perhaps you would share a photo and the history of the prototype with us....... :wink: MIKE

Doc44

Single-Sixer
Mike...I still have the prototype and will take and post an updated picture of it today or tomorrow.

Bill

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Doc: your photography is superb and when combined with such a S & W like this, it just can not be improved upon. I am proud to say that I have guns that you have photographed for me! Congrats. on a wonderful photo. Brass Frame/Lee