WTB Hornady 265 FP's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Long ago I used 265 grain Hornady .44's in my Redhawk, and my dad used them in his Ruger Carbine and they were really tree / steel thumping deer taker downers :) Back then I was pretty irresponsible and loaded that Redhawk very hot with impunity to where if I used them (only once) in my 29 or 629 they had to be driven out with a dowel.

My RH is long gone as is my old load data (which I wouldn't use on my current stable on .44's anyway) and only one manual the Hornady 3rd I have lists 265 grain FP data which I'll use.

Question, does anyone have a source for Hornady 265 FP's?

Last edited:

msp2640

Single-Sixer
I think they were discontinued in 2017/8 or so, much to the dismay of 444 Marlin shooters, like myself. I bought 2 boxes from Bud's around then and went to order more and they were sold out, then noticed I couldn't find them anywhere. They were using those same bullets in their Superperformance 444 rounds, but I haven't seen that ammunition available recently. I think I have about 120 or so left, so I'm rationing mine. My Marlin shoots great with those. Bill in MA

anachronism

Single-Sixer
This is exactly why I cast everything myself. If I really like something, I'll have an unlimited, uninterruptable supply.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
300 gr is still available. I cast 280 LBT LFN for my heavy 44. I miss LBT, so I'm pretty much in the same boat you are in a way. If you want a mould you could look at something nice from Accurate, then have it hollowpointed by Erik. A nice cup point should work nicely with either 20:1 or 30:1 alloy. If you don't mind a single cavity mould, a Lyman 429640 Devastator seems to work okay if you have Erik at HP Mold make you a cup point HP stem. That should come out around 265 grain-ish.

Latest posts