Would you

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZ40

Bearcat
I have an SR40 for my HD / night stand firearm. Light/laser combo, night sights, really made up for one purpose in mind, home protection. I would like to get another for carrying purposes now which brings me to my dilemma. Do I get the SR40c since I am very familiar with the full size SR40, have close to a thousand rounds for it and thoroughly enjoy shooting it OR do I go with the SR9c and have what I would assume to be a lower recoil, "cheaper" gun to take to the range?

If you were in my position which would you go for?

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Get the SR9c since it will be cheaper to shoot and plus all the driving knobs are in the same place as the SR40. A well placed 9 is better than a .40 miss. Just my 2 cents.

AZ40

Bearcat
See my full size 40 is very accurate. And the recoils is easily manageable I just don't know how the shorter barrel and lighter weight will handle.

Fyrfightr

Bearcat
Well I have an SR40c for carry. The price of ammo around here is pennies on per box. When there's a shortage of ammo due to people hoarding them, I can always find .40s.
I found no difference in recoil between the SR40 and a SR40c.

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
:lol: 9mm vs. .40 S&W....now there is a new topic! lol

I have plenty of range trips on a Glock 23 & 27, not Rugers, but still .40 cal. A lil' more expensive to shoot at the range, but I feel confident carrying it. I personally witnessed my brother get shot in the head, point blank with a P89 9mm. The bullet went in, bounced off his skull & came out 1/2" away. He shook his head to get his senses & returned fire with a .45, stopping the attack IMMEDIATELY & the BG remained out of the fight!

AZ40

Bearcat
Its not really a 40 vs 9mm, we could go on for days talking about that. Its more aesthetics than anything. If the full size 40 felt good to you, would dropping some weight and shortening it steer you away from the same firearm that felt good full size or have they done enough to th sr40c to make you not weary of it.

JTQ

Bearcat
I would get the SR40c. My guess is you aren't going to shoot a compact a whole bunch, you'll shoot the full size more because it is more comfortable to shoot. Your ammo savings won't be a big deal since your full size is in .40S&W. You also won't have to worry about keeping multiple varieties of ammo.

JumpmasterC said:
:lol: 9mm vs. .40 S&W....now there is a new topic! lol

I have plenty of range trips on a Glock 23 & 27, not Rugers, but still .40 cal. A lil' more expensive to shoot at the range, but I feel confident carrying it. I personally witnessed my brother get shot in the head, point blank with a P89 9mm. The bullet went in, bounced off his skull & came out 1/2" away. He shook his head to get his senses & returned fire with a .45, stopping the attack IMMEDIATELY & the BG remained out of the fight!

DAMN I bet he had a headache!!! A buddy of mine was on the force for several years. He took one to the head and servived as well. He was not ambulatory though, let alone able to return gunfire. His partner was however. Blood loss was not the major concern, but brain damage was. With this guy, it was hard to tell after the fact. LOL. (joking) He did come through well enough to work a few more years and retire. He does computer work on the side now and refers overflow work to me.

In this case the dept. issued Glock 22 was the fight stopper.

AZ40

Bearcat
Anyone on here have both th SR40 and SR40c, leaning that direction right now although I still need to go test fire one.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I carry the Sr40c and shoot it and the SR40 at the range often, there is not a lot of difference shooting them and i can shoot the 40c as accurate as the 40. I also shoot the 9 and 9c a lot at the range and other than the sharper recoil on the 40 cal. they are all about the same. They all shoot great, and with proper ammo they are all completely adequate for self defense if you do your part. None of them have unreasonably heavy recoil.

ErikO

Bearcat
As a side bonus, the SR40's mags will fit the smaller brother with a bit extra mag showing. Carry the bigger mags when you CC, the spare shots may come in handy.

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
Only you can make that decision. If you love your SR40 that much just get the SR40c. I prefer the SR9c for my carry just because the 9mm has less recoil then the 40S&W and I can shoot faster and more accurately with the 9 then I can with my 40. Again, it's what ever YOU are more comfortable with.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
I would, though I agree the 9mm would be as good, just with two 40s you only have the one pile of ammo. I carry a 9c, had a S&W 9mm for bedside- couldn't hit the bullseye worth a hoot, while I can make a single hole of the x-ring with my 9c. I traded the S&W for a pocket pistol which I really needed- well, kinda needed- really wanted- and next purchase will be an SR9. Same ergo, same ammo....same accuracy.
I'm actually getting tired of waiting- may have to break down and use the credit card.Well...not HAVE to,...

AZ40

Bearcat
I'm going to go with the 40c. Was able to shoot one finally and it fits my hand and feels perfect to me. So looks like the 40 is getting a little brother.