wondering what ammo would have been issued to FBI agents ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

happy

Buckeye
Hi Guys , I was reading a 1950's C.B. Cobly Book on the FBI , in the book it describes Agents were trained to shoot .357 Magnums at targets 100 yards distance.
I am wondering what ammo would have been issued to agents ??

please post ,many thanks,

The standard bullet weight was 158 gr LSWC, commercially. I know the Ga. Hwy Patrol used that back then. Of course in later years 1970's the FBI load was 158 gr SWC HP plus P, .38 special.
gramps

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Here's a nice article from American Rifleman:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/8/22/a-history-of-fbi-handguns/

According to it the first approved FBI .357 Magnum load was a 145gr Winchester Silvertip.

DGW1949

Hunter
Once upon a time, Remington marketed a 158 lead bullet load which was aimed at the law enforcement market and featured a sort of "half FMJ, rounded nose". The idea was that that particular load would better enable the cops to shoot through car bodies and stuff. The problem was that the metal jacket only covered the nose, so it did nothing to prevent the leading problems which was common to early 357 ammo.
As I recall, it disappeared from their ammo catalog sometime in the early 70's.

Not sayin' that it was ever "FBI issue" because I really don't know. On the other hand, I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that they at least ran some trials with it.

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
happy said:
hi , I have a box of Peters metal tip .357 , short one round , only box I ever saw,

Yeah, that's basically the same stuff I mentioned....just with a different head stamp and in a different box.

DGW