Winchester Expert HV exploded in my gun today...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Win1892

Bearcat
I had an OOB blow the left grip into a hundred pieces. Would have gotten the right grip if it had not been the aluminum grip portion of the Leupold scope mount. I got a face full of plastic.

Cheeser

Bearcat
I had a bulk box of Remmington Golden Bullets that wouldn't chamber fully sometimes in a new-to-me Mark II 22/45. One fired OOB just like the OP photo. They chambered in some other pistols, so I thought the chamber was dirty or undersize. But the chamber measures the same diameter as other Marks, and another box of Golden Bullets seems fine. So I think the conclusion is that cheap ammo is usually fine, but you need to be aware. The Mark will fire some 1/8" OOB, with lots of brass powder and gunpowder flying around.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I do believe the "mystery" has been solved, thanks to those of us who have "been there and done that."

Your gun is fine. That particular LOT of that particular ammo is defective (oversized bullets or cases, preventing full and smooth chambering). (That's coming from a guy who's had the same problem with the same ammo.)

Can we call this one "case closed"? :wink:

Pal Val

Buckeye
I'm more mindful of wearing eye protection when shooting .22's than when shooting centerfires. I have a scar over my right eyebrow from a piece of .22 brass that flew off when my old Marlin rifle had an out of battery discharge. I'm lucky I was wearing my safety glasses, as aonther bit of brass made a nasty scratch in the lens. It could have been my eye.

As to hearing protection, go ahead not wearing it while shooting .22's and you'll soon join the club of "what?" sayers. Take it from a member!

In my case, the firing pin had gotten stuck in the forward position, and when the bolt slammed on the next round, it went off. Happens with rimfires. The brass is soft and the primer is easier to set off than in a centerfire.

supv26

Bearcat
WOW 30 bucks for a box!!! I just bought 2 boxes of that at wal mart for $15.37 per box. I also have some of the red box winchester but haven't tried shooting any of it in my MKIII. I have tried remington golden bullets and some federal and they both seem to be fine.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I'll also note that in the 1st pic I don't see your extractor, It's possible it and the detent & spring may have went bye bye..
Could just be the angle of the pic too??
just have a look to make sure the parts are there..
If there gone Ruger will send you the parts for FREE..
Gary

expshell1.jpg

JCCVaquero

Bearcat
This happened to me several years ago. I had just bought the cartridges at walmart. I went to store manager and showed the gun the exploded cartridge and the box.

I asked him to send my gun back to Ruger to have it inspected to make sure it was ok to continue to use. He was glad to do it. The gun was returned in perfect working order with a factory note that a couple of small parts and a spring had been replace at no charge.

good luck...

Latest posts