Win .358 brass and ammunition.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mutt58

Bearcat
Hello this is my first post!!
I recently found a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .358 win.
Always wanted a bolt gun in this caliber ,the only problem so far is that here in Canada I have been unable to find ether brass or loaded shells.
Does anyone know of a reliable source of at least brass.I realize that i could resize 308 brass but i would like 358 brass.Any help would be great Thanks!

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Welcome to the forum!!

I have found new 358 brass on gunbroker and the major reloading outlets (Midway, Natchez, Ellett Bros, etc...) fairly easily.

I've personally had better luck with 358 brass than with resizing 308 brass.

BB45C

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
Hmmmm...358 is a great woods to 200 yard caliber, I would have thought they were all over Canada. If you do have to resize 308, be sure to anneal the necks first. Not sure if US companies can legally ship cases to you direct, may be "articles of war" and need govt approval.

jn 41

Single-Sixer
Like BIGBORE said any of the shooter supply company should have brass. I used some 308 brass one time, some of them cracked around the necks. and it was not a hot load. I find that 358 brass works better and gives longer case life. If you have to use 308 anneal them.
It is hard to find a better big game cartridge the the 358, plenty of power for little recoil. I've taken 4 deer and an elk with it and hope to use it more. my hawkeye shoots very well. good luck, jn

SoundDude

Bearcat
I bought my .358 brass from http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/. I just checked, they have it in stock. I bought an M77 in .358 back in May - very pleased with it.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Try getting that brass from the US suppliers to Canada, not easy as I have tried when I lived there. IWhen lived in Calgary I was able to get factory 358 ammo from Wholesale Sports there. You might give them a shout. I have never had a problem using resized Winchester 308 Win brass though.

Mutt58

Bearcat
Thanks for your help.
I have been told that Hornady will be making a large batch of 358 for the Canadian market ,brass and loaded ammunition.Its supposed to be here by the end of summer.I will keep my fingers crossed!

mattsbox99

Hunter
I've done all the research I need. Its quite a process, but I've shot competitively in Canada. They have plenty of paperwork for guns, but ammunition and components are legal to go across the border.

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
I've used 308 brass necked up with no problems and no annealing. Just make sure to lube the inside of the neck. I'm currently using 260 brass.
For those, I passed through the 308 die first and then to the 358 dies.
I used to make brass for my 356 winchester out of 308 brass and it worked fine in the winchester. You have to use more steps to make it out of 243 brass.

358 Hawkeye

Bearcat
Watergoat said:
Hmmmm...358 is a great woods to 200 yard caliber, I would have thought they were all over Canada. If you do have to resize 308, be sure to anneal the necks first. Not sure if US companies can legally ship cases to you direct, may be "articles of war" and need govt approval.

Great woods cartridge, I have heard that quite a bit lately about the 358 Winchester.
I chronographed some 220 grain 30-06 handloads that chronied 2511 fps, the same session I got 2510 fps shooting thew 358 Winchester with a 225 grain Sierra BT bullet. Noboody calls the 30-06 a short range cartridge, so why the stigma attachment to the 358?
I can't believe that so many merely spout what they have read without ever trying it for themselves. The 06 shot a couple inches flatter at 300 yds, that doesn't make the 06 a woods cartridge either.
The gun writers of the day spout crap as gospel and people keep regurgitating the same spew because if it's in writing, it must be true.

358 Hawkeye

Bearcat
Watergoat said:

Great woods cartridge, I have heard that quite a bit lately about the 358 Winchester.
I chronographed some 220 grain 30-06 handloads that chronied 2511 fps, the same session I got 2510 fps shooting thew 358 Winchester with a 225 grain Sierra BT bullet. Noboody calls the 30-06 a short range cartridge, so why the stigma attachment to the 358?
I can't believe that so many merely spout what they have read without ever trying it for themselves. The 06 shot a couple inches flatter at 300 yds, that doesn't make the 06 a woods cartridge either.
The gun writers of the day spout crap as gospel and people keep regurgitating the same spew because if it's in writing, it must be true.

onthehunt

Bearcat
Available again from Winchester. They must have made some this year.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/1390141111/winchester-brass-358-winchester

Latest posts