will sr9c light primer strikes ever go away??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rp85

Bearcat
hello;

have a second sr9c. the first had a 40% fail to fire because of light primer strikes. sent back to ruger and ruger replaced the pistol. new pistol has had several fail to fire out of 150 rounds fired because of light primer strikes.

will the problem of light primer strikes solve itself over time???

thanks for any input.

rp

Pops 1

Single-Sixer
My SR9c was test fired 11/25/2011 and I have hundreds of rounds through it with no problems. Looks like you can't pen it down to certain date for problems. I will be at the NRA show sat and sun I will ask Ruger reps about it.

rp85

Bearcat
received new sr9c from ruger two weeks ago. be nice to see what ruger reps say. will not keep a pistol that has mis-fire problems.

thanks for checking.

rp

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
rp85,

Have you cleaned the striker channel? Sometimes debris finds its way into the striker channel and causes light strikes.
I would first clean the striker channel with a dry lube and test it.
If it is still having troubles, test it without the magazine disconnect.

Charlie

shorty43

Bearcat
Here's a link to instructions for disassembling the striker channel. Scroll about halfway down.
http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_sr9c_p4.php

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I had light strikes and no trigger reset issue when I first got mine (when they first came out) and I sent mine back to Ruger, they repaired it and I have not had an issue in 2,000 plus rounds shot since.

SEND IT BACK, I have had shavings and other stuff in the channels and it still should shoot.

mn_doggie

Bearcat
SR series owners need to learn how to clean the striker channel. Ruger has a video on their website on removing the striker.

It will get dirty over time. Mine needs to get cleaned roughly every 1000 rounds. Most (if not all) firearms need more comprehensive cleaning than a simple field strip/cleaning will do. Look on other brand forums, This isn't a Ruger only issue.

Just like autos need more than periodic oil changes, firearms need additional maintenance/cleaning. For those who aren't comfortable working on their own firearms, they need to find a gunsmith.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Maybe rp85 is a plant, maybe a fern, look at his past posts. He seems to have a lot of problems with Ruger guns but still keeps supposedly buying them and posting his issues.

...and he doesn't answer any question put forth.

mn_doggie

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz said:
Maybe rp85 is a plant, maybe a fern, look at his past posts. He seems to have a lot of problems with Ruger guns but still keeps supposedly buying them and posting his issues.

He also appears to reload. It could be an issue with the way he seats his primers, too.

Have to assume that since he doesn't provide more info, one of the posts "fixed" his problem.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
mn_doggie said:
Cheesewhiz said:

He also appears to reload. It could be an issue with the way he seats his primers, too.

Have to assume that since he doesn't provide more info, one of the posts "fixed" his problem.

There are many people that reload. The ones that should not or should work a bit harder at it stick out in the crowd.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
I had allot of light primer strikes with my sr9c when I 1st bought it too . 1st step I sent it back to ruger they didn't fix the prob . 2nd step I put the Galloway precision heavy striker spring in it , it helped but the prob didn't completely go away. so then I turned to my ammo are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? I was shooting my own reloads using an rcbs hand primer to install primers in cases . I noticed they weren't all seated ALL the way if that primer is just the smallest amount not completely seated the sr9c wouldn't shoot it . so later on I ran across an rcbs bench mounted priming tool at a lgs as new old stock if I remember right I got it for 45$ and there now over 100 on midway . I started using that for my 9mm cases it seats the primers all the way 1st time every time . its a little slower than a hand primer but I haven't had a single misfire-light strike prob since then . I agree with others on cleaning the striker channel ,but if that don't solve the prob start checking your ammo . place a loaded round on a flat hard surface place your finger on top of bullet and try to rock it back and forth a bit if it don't rock at all its ok if it does the primer isn't seated all the way and that probably your issue .