Max 9 still light striking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OK after my initial light strikes issues I got a 20% stronger striker spring. It seemed to help but I had a few more today. Decent defense ammo no less. Now I'm thinking about turning the firing pin back a few thou so I can count on a bang when I need one!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_155838071_MP.jpg
    IMG_20221217_155838071_MP.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20221130_145843095.jpg
    IMG_20221130_145843095.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71

Mike J

Hunter
I would call Ruger & ask for a shipping label Let them deal with it.

The one time I sent a gun to them they had it back to me in about a week.

I guess I could. When I talked to them they didn't seem to have any available solution. It only ftf's about 2% of the time. Even if it goes bang "most of the time I wouldn't consider any of the primer strikes adequate. I haven't heard back from my most recent email yet but then holidays and all.

Mike J

Hunter
Sorry, I'm probably not any help. The only thing I would know would be to clean the striker channel. I'd probably spray it out with non chlorinated carb cleaner & run a pipe cleaner but I have a hunch you've already done that. I don't think this is your first rodeo. If you can't make it run I would still send it in & be polite but persistent until they take care of you.

Sorry, I'm probably not any help. The only thing I would know would be to clean the striker channel. I'd probably spray it out with non chlorinated carb cleaner & run a pipe cleaner but I have a hunch you've already done that. I don't think this is your first rodeo. If you can't make it run I would still send it in & be polite but persistent until they take care of you.
Even with a 20% stronger striker spring it's still not 100%. It's actually leaving what I consider a dent which is an improvement but it still doesn't light off rounds that a High Point will. If I turn the firing pin back .010 and put a nice radius on the face it might be as reliable as a Kel Tec. If they don't get back to me next week I'll probably just chuck it up in the lathe and take care of it. I'm kinda pissed that I spent $700 on the Gun and optic. I could have had 2 SCCY's or Taurus for what I spent on this. Of course my Kel Tec needed what would have been a few thousand dollars worth of work done to it before I considered it a semi decent carry gun. My LCP and Ruger's reputation was the reason I spent twice as much for what is turning into another project gun. I'm honestly amazed at what I can do using the dot on this thing. I'm thinking this can be a 100yd minute of bad guy gun!!!

Last edited:

Mike J

Hunter
Even with a 20% stronger striker spring it's still not 100%. It's actually leaving what I consider a dent which is an improvement but it still doesn't light off rounds that a High Point will. If I turn the firing pin back .010 and put a nice radius on the face it might be as reliable as a Kel Tec. If they don't get back to me next week I'll probably just chuck it up in the lathe and take care of it. I'm kinda pissed that I spent $700 on the Gun and optic. I could have had 2 SCCY's or Taurus for what I spent on this. Of course my Kel Tec needed what would have been a few thousand dollars worth of work done to it before I considered it a semi decent carry gun. My LCP and Ruger's reputation was the reason I spent twice as much for what is turning into another project gun. I'm honestly amazed at what I can do using the dot on this thing. I'm thinking this can be a 100yd minute of bad guy gun!!!
The only Kel-Tec I had was a P-11. I carried it for a few years. I liked the size & capacity. At the time it was the smallest 10 round 9mm available. If I recall correctly I sanded out inside of the grip to make the magazines drop free. I replaced the plastic mag catch with a metal one I bought from someone over at KTOG & I heated the plastic trigger & changed the shape of it to make it work better for me. Once I learned the trigger on it I was surprised by how accurate the little pistol was. That trigger took some getting used to. I wound up replacing it with something else for my smaller carry piece.
A while later a friend wanted to check out pistols so I took him out & let him shoot every pistol I owned. He couldn't hit squat with anything I had until I handed him the Kel-Tec. He tore out the center of the target with it. Really surprised me. He offered to buy it on the spot. I didn't sell that day but later on I decided to just give it to him.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Don't blame ya for being pissed! Seems like too many complaints with this newer stuff ever since the striker-polymer craze. Too many changes or QC not up to par??

I had to send a Max 9 back for a customer. Jamming almost every round. They took care of it quickly, no issues since. Never been a fan Ruger semi-autos, especially compared to others.

My LCP has been absolutely reliable from day one. Kinda like a Kel Tec with proper QC. The Max9 has incredible inherently accuracy. 2"@25yds rested. Having the dot makes it a viable 100yd minute of bad guy gun. Once I have solid primer strikes this will be my EDC. It will take me 5 minutes with the proper diameter mill cutter. All I have to do is pull the striker and give it a few turns by hand to remove.005-.010 from the front of the striker channel. I decided I don't want to risk creating a stress riser on the striker by machining it.

Problem solved. I took a .185 mill cutter in the striker channel and made it about .030 deeper now it strikes anything authoritatively. Now I'm finally confident in it going bang when I pull the trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_131927495.jpg
    IMG_20230104_131927495.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20221217_155838071_MP.jpg
    IMG_20221217_155838071_MP.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20221130_145843095.jpg
    IMG_20221130_145843095.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68
I had to send a Max 9 back for a customer. Jamming almost every round. They took care of it quickly, no issues since. Never been a fan Ruger semi-autos, especially compared to others.
Yeah I never expected such from Ruger. My experience with Ruger's has always been brick reliable! Now I'm going to have to watch that it doesn't punch the primers. Nothing a few strokes with sandpaper won't fix.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Yeah I never expected such from Ruger. My experience with Ruger's has always been brick reliable! Now I'm going to have to watch that it doesn't punch the primers. Nothing a few strokes with sandpaper won't fix.
As I recall you also increased the strength of the spring for the striker. If that modification is still on the weapon perhaps going back to the standard spring would be appropriate?

As I recall you also increased the strength of the spring for the striker. If that modification is still on the weapon perhaps going back to the standard spring would be appropriate?
Might not hurt but it didn't seem to hurt the trigger pull too badly so I may as well leave it. I'll keep an eye on the primers and decide from there. I don't have many doubts about this being able to ignite a primer now.

Might not hurt but it didn't seem to hurt the trigger pull too badly so I may as well leave it. I'll keep an eye on the primers and decide from there. I don't have many doubts about this being able to ignite a primer now.
If you don't have a selection of mill cutters a drill bit would probably be fine I don't see anything a little taper at the face would hurt. I would definitely be careful and use a set stop on the bit/cutter to ensure you don't go too far. Maybe .01 increments to be safe. I trimmed a little checked pin protrusion a few times before putting it together and hitting some primers.