Will hard primers break Mini 30 firing pin?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgang

Bearcat
Recently I obtained a case of Eastern Block 7.62x39mm ammo to shoot in my Mini 30. Because of their hard primers I have had a lot of misfires. I ordered a Wolff XS hammer spring in order fix this problem, but am now concerned the extra spring power will break the firing pin on the Mini 30. Does anybody have experience with breaking the firing pin on a Mini due to hard primers?
Any ideas would be welcomed.
Good shooting to you, dgang

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
Never a problem, been doing it for many years. I'd recommend using an extra power Wolff recoil spring also, some of that ammo may hang up in your mag due to the coatings that's on the casings.
Enjoy!

IMG_0293.jpg

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Never happen . Firing pins are made from hardend tool steel or titaiumium and primers are made from a thin copper or tin cop .Even hare primers like CCI's and the primers in Russian Wolf ammo are MUCH softer metal .You will be fine.
Lou

To be blunt, here's my suggestion... get rid of that crappy commie ammo.....

I hosted a shoot last weekend and used my Georgia Arms ammo... one guy brought a couple of AK 47s and some commie ammo... some how about 20 rounds of that ammo got run through one of my mini-30s .... I did not think I was ever going to get the barrel clean of that gunk... who ever heard of having to wash a rifle with windex to kill all the salts they might have put in the ammo. Me thinks they are doing this to destroy our guns.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I've fire 1000's of rounds of Wolf ammo in my A.K' s SKS's and never had aproblem with it ; It's Russian Mill spec ammo .Why would they make ammo with salts {never heard of that ] that would harm there battle rifles , Makes no sence. Your Mini -30 may not like it ,but it works just fine in my Americian made A.K. and after 100's of rounds it's no more dirty than my A.R. after 100's 0f rounds of SS109 62gr ball ammo made right here at the lake city arsenal + it's WAY more accurate than most folks think it is .
Lou

RJ556

Buckeye
Here's my $.02 I no longer have a Mini30, but have had extensive experience with 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and 5.56x45 Wolf, other commercial Combloc ammo and Combloc surplus ammo. The only ammo that I have found to have corrosive salts (primers) in is the military surplus. It is decent ammo and the reason Combloc STILL use corrosove primers, is because, over many yearsof storage, the corrososive priming compound is more stable, thus more reliable. Some of it is very accurate, some is not, but if you use any corrosive primed ammo in your gun, you should clean it well afterwards. Now, as far as the commercial stuff goes (Wolf, Barnaul, Golden Bear, Golden Tiger, etc.), It is not corrosive and doesn't require as much cleaning after use. But, some of it does have propellents that burn dirtier than others and some, depending on the case coatings and case dimensions, does not feed well in some guns. Brass acts a bit different than steel when fed, fired, extracted and ejected. I have not found any of the commercial stuff to be quite as accurate as the military ammo, and of course, it is not match grade.

dgang

Bearcat
Thanks to all of you who replied to my question about hard primers and the use of XP wolff spring. The spring goes in and I hope for the best.
Good shooting to you all, dgang