Will a foam lined gun vault rust a blued revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quietdood

Bearcat
Pretty much my bedside gun sits in a small locked vault but was reading about how bad foam can be. Should I tear out the built in foam so it's just metal? The vault was made by Beretta.

Most of the closed cell foams will not store moisture as badly as the open cell, but any material that rests against the surface of the metal can cause condensation and moisture trapping. It has a lot to do with what part of the country you live in, how high the humidity level is in your home and how well you maintain your firearm. I would venture in the average household with an oiled surface that is inspected and maintained on a regular schedule, you shouldn't have any problem. Besides, the manufacturer should be aware of what material works in that situation, so check with them about any special care they suggest.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
You might put an old sheet or pillowcase in the safe so the gun contacts the cotton instead of the foam. Foam tends to outgas, deteriorate, and break down over time. I've seen guns with foam embedded in the finish, or the finish otherwise damaged from sitting on foam.

-- Sam

mohavesam

Hawkeye
get rid of the foam now. Line it with some acrylic felt available at a fabric store. It does not attract nor hold moisture and will not 'print' the contact like most fabrics.

J Miller

Blackhawk
All but two of my guns are stored in Doskocil foam lined hard cases. One of the other two has spent it's entire life in a lined Safariland holster (1983 to date).
They've been stored like that for the 10 years I've lived here in humid Illinois. I check them about twice a year and wipe them down with cloth impregnated with Industrial PCL. No rust, none. I've quit worrying about the old wives tale that foam will rust your guns.

Joe

It is more of a chemical reaction with certain types of oil's and solvents that can react with the foam.
I see alot of damage from certain foamed lined cases at the auction house where I shoot the images for. We received 3 nice vintage S&W's that the lining in the case damaged the revolvers. We also see alot of Comm Winchesters that are damaged from strofoam packing.
Keep an eye on them. It does happened.

maxpress

Buckeye
if your real worried about it get a bottle of silicone granules or packs and throw them in there (same kind that come in an asprin container) it will wick up the moisture. a sock of babypowder or baking soda will also.

sdoyl123":3eg781hs said:
It is more of a chemical reaction with certain types of oil's and solvents that can react with the foam.
I see alot of damage from certain foamed lined cases at the auction house where I shoot the images for. We received 3 nice vintage S&W's that the lining in the case damaged the revolvers. We also see alot of Comm Winchesters that are damaged from strofoam packing.
Keep an eye on them. It does happened.

we have found the same to be true, look at many of the so called "presentstion cases" and what they have done to guns over the years, ala S&W ,Colt, etc................

resident

Single-Sixer
Ditto, J Miller. I"ve got "Presentation Grade" blued guns in foam lined Doskocil cases in direct contact with foam, going on 25 years now. I checked them every 3 mos the first year, and annually the next 5 yrs, and about every 3 yrs since. I took them out and wiped them over with an oil-cloth again just this week. They remain in perfect condition.

Don't know about cheap lock-boxes, tho. I wouldn't use "acrylic" or cotton, personally. I'd use wool or wool-flannel (not synthetic) cloth to lay the gun on while inside a lock box.

coyote

Single-Sixer
if you lock moisture in, it will cause rust.

i've had a few rust even with great care, so now i take care to wipe em down with a silicone cloth and place each in it's own Bore Stores case in a dry air-exchanging environment.

http://www.borestores.com/

Bore Stores: Prevents moisture, corrosion, rust, grit and dust from getting to any firearm stored inside. Soft, cushioned, silicone and rust- inhibitor, treated cases double as handy quick-case or provide maintenance-free, long term storage without heavy oils or grease. Open weave exterior fabric allows thorough air circulation. Soft pile interior cushions against nicks and scratches.

SPECS: Gray, knit exterior, acrylic pile interior, velcro closure. Order by overall length and type of firearm.

i get mine from Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1850/Product/BORE_STORES_LONG_TERM_STORAGE_CASES

Marcruger

Bearcat
Easiest answer of them all, and the one I use......wrap the gun in wax paper like many guns come from the factory. It is cheap, and works great. It'll take you half a second to pull it off it if you need to use the gun. A great way to store and protect handguns in a safe or storage area is to put them in individual zippered gun rugs, with the gun wrapped in wax paper inside. The wax paper rejects moisture, and prevent moisture from getting to the gun. You can leave the foam there to pad the gun, and the wax paper prevents the possible moisture in the foam from hurting the finish. I hope this helps. God Bless, Marc

mattsbox99

Hunter
The foam breaks down over time and turns acidic. That yellowing you see is acid and it will damage any gun.

I use silicone impregnated gun socks so things don't get dinged in the safes.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Silicone impregnated gun sock. Works great and is rated for long term storage.

resident

Single-Sixer
Marcruger":2dwg4i6a said:
Easiest answer of them all, and the one I use......wrap the gun in wax paper like many guns come from the factory. It is cheap, and works great. It'll take you half a second to pull it off it if you need to use the gun. A great way to store and protect handguns in a safe or storage area is to put them in individual zippered gun rugs, with the gun wrapped in wax paper inside. The wax paper rejects moisture, and prevent moisture from getting to the gun. You can leave the foam there to pad the gun, and the wax paper prevents the possible moisture in the foam from hurting the finish. I hope this helps. God Bless, Marc

Marc: That is NOT waxed-paper which they "come in". It is usually a vapor-barrier paper or an oiled-paper.

WAXED paper is impermeable and will allow condensation and rust to form. I believe that waxed-paper is not a good materiel for long-term storage.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
resident":2llrxa8k said:
Marc: That is NOT waxed-paper which they "come in". It is usually a vapor-barrier paper or an oiled-paper.

It's called VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) paper. It's used by the military and industrial companies to wrap and ship metal parts that are subject to corrosion. The paper releases a chemical vapor that protects metal from rust. You can buy it from Brownell's or from Uline and other companies in large rolls or individual sheets. I bought a large roll from Uline for about $40 that will last a lifetime. I wrap all my firearms in it prior to storage.

jpickar

Blackhawk
I spray the foam of my hard long gun cases with a light coating of Rem-Oil.
I made a custom gun rack for the inside of my gun safe and covered the barrel notches with felt. I sprayed them with Rem-oil and there is no rest.

I wouldn't leave the gun on foam that hasn't been treated with some kind of gun protectent.

John