Wild horses at Sanchez Reservoir

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
We went fishing over at Sanchez Reservoir near San Luis Colorado just north of the New Mexico state line north of Taos and found 25 Mustangs grazing in deep lush grass along the lake. Beautiful scene I think I will have this one blown up into a large size museum Glicklee' canvas mount.

Don Lovel

Hunter
jn 41 said:
Oh did you catch any fish?
Actually we were trying to find some of the Northern Pike that are suppose to inhabit that lake, although there are mercury warning signs about eating big pike. Old mines up on 14k tall Culebra peak in the Sangre De Cristo have leached into it.
Also suppose to be some walleye in there as well as brook trout, rainbows, browns and if like other drainages around here cutthroats too.
I recently caught about a 15" Brown trout in the Rio Grande and we hit the stocker trout up at Shaw lake near Creede last week.
Some of the best fishing in our region is up in Saguache Park on Saguache Creek forks. Lots of beaver ponds on the feeder streams along Saguache basin, very pretty place to catch Browns and Brookies
I think we will try to go back to Sanchez and try fishing the lava rock piles early in the morning or go up in the flats and run top water lures and see where the Pike are hanging out. Something about catching big toothy fish that can break your rod, burn out your drag and bite your finger off that makes it more fun. I figured pike meat would make a great batch of ceviche and heavy metal mercury traces would probably be in their skeleton not their muscles. Not like we are going to eat a bunch of them.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
jn 41 said:
Don, another beautiful picture. Showed my wife. I do that to tease her, she never seen the west. She will in 2018 or 19. we plan on taking a 2 week roadtrip.
Oh how I admire someone making plans for a western trip! My wife refuses to go any further west than Mobile Alabama or further north than Tennessee! But I dream of returning to Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Arizona!! Y'all enjoy your trip!!

Latest posts