Why Not SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikee57

Bearcat
I read several different gun forums and don't hear to much about the SR9 series 9mm. When people post questions about your favorite gun or favorite 9mm all you hear is G19, M&P9 series, Kahr ect. I have a G19 and a SR9c and like them both. I don't understand why there isn't any love for the SR9c.

edgalang

Bearcat
Considering you actually have both, you're really asking yourself the question.

While I've had some experience with the G19, I don't actually own one so I'm not as qualified to reply as you are.

mikee57

Bearcat
I'm just curious of why the SR9c is not as popular as the other 9mm out there since I feel my SR9c is right up there with my G19 and other 9mm pistols.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
mikee57 said:
I'm just curious of why the SR9c is not as popular as the other 9mm out there since I feel my SR9c is right up there with my G19 and other 9mm pistols.
I'm thinking that the SR9c does not have the "street cred" that a G19 does. After all, one would not want to get laughed at by possessing a "non-trendy" piece, right? ;)

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I love mine!

Just got my White Hat Holster yesterday and it is comfy already.
I actually shoot it more accurate than my full size SR9.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
My buddy has a Glock 19. I have shot it several times. I wouldn't take a whole box of G19s for my SR9c. I am not a Glock hater, I just don't like the trigger and feel of the 19. I also would not own a CC auto without a manual safety. I shot a number of weapons prior to purchase of my SR9c, and it just felt right to me without question.

Then again, the Rugers don't have the mystique that some of the other manufacturers have. I'm not sure why. Their revolvers are generally well regarded by the general shooting public. The Mark series is always listed as one of the top two .22lr target pistols.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
Then again, the Rugers don't have the mystique

No plastic pistol has any 'mystique' .

They're all just cheap plastic guns with terrible triggers and marginal accuracy .... no matter who makes them. Nothing more than tools to me ... kinda like a hammer ... a really boring, generic hammer. :D

REV

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
I think it's all marketing, in a way. S&W has been around over a hundred years- Glock was the fist big-name in polymer and was such an immediate 'hit' with the cops then the public. Ruger hasn't been 'in your face' for 35-100 years like those two. I'd like to see sales numbers on the SR9c vs similar sized 9mm's.

cluznar

Bearcat
I own an SR9c and it is an excellent gun. I know a couple other people who have them and they are well liked. People I have let shoot mine all seem to like it. I see nothing wrong with the gun, it is easy to shoot, low recoil, nice sights, and is accurate.

I was under the impression that the SR9c is selling well so people must like it. I have seen videos of it doing well in match competition where you shoot around objects, out windows etc.

:roll: I think the SR9c is doing fine and will continue to gain more of a fanfare.

Joe_Atlanta

Bearcat
I believe the SR9C is the best of the compact 9s. Only a fraction bigger than the G26, IMO it handles and shoots much better. However, about the time it was starting to come into it's own (Gun of the Year), the sub compact craze started, first with .380s, now with 9s. The LCP outsold everything in sight so Ruger's advertizing has featured it and now the LC9.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I've owned both. The Glock 19 was very reliable but the ergonomics were poor and I never felt comfortable with the grip. The SR9c has been equally reliable and "feels" better. The triggers on both are similar enough that neither has a noticable advantage to me.

I do like the manual safety on the SR9c as it makes the gun a bit proprietary. I use mine as a bedside/home defense pistol and, while it's in a locked metal box, I like the extra safety if, by any chance, a visitor or child happens to get a hold of it. They can't shoot it just by pulling the trigger.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have and shoot the RS9, SR40 and SR40c regularly, and they are all accurate, reliable and comfortable pistols to shoot. If they ever come out with an Sr45 i will definitely have to have one.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
cjs1945 said:
I have and shoot the RS9, SR40 and SR40c regularly, and they are all accurate, reliable and comfortable pistols to shoot. If they ever come out with an Sr45 i will definitely have to have one.

I'm looking forward to an SR45 (if it ever happens) as well.

As to why people don't give the SR series its fair shake. I think its because people like to think they already have the best. Usually they gravitate to the more popular semi auto brands, Glock, H&K, S&W ect. Its kinda like religion in a way, people like to think they already have it figured out, because of the subject matter many depend their lives on their decision, Law enforcement people, or just everyday gun owners who keep one for home defense. There is a natural resistance to new ideas, new ideas are seen almost as a threat to their already carefully rationalized decision to buy whatever firearm they own.

This is a very close minded point of view I think. When I tell people about my SR I'm not trashing their Glocks or H&K's, they all have a well deserved positive reputation. I'm simply trying to explain there are other options only, not that there is something wrong with the other brands, just that it may be better for them. Sometimes even this is too much for people to open their minds too, and the eyes just glaze over until I stop talking and they can return to bragging on their Glocks, ect. lol

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Alot of it I think is because of brand recognition. I think alot of people associate the Ruger name with revolvers and MK series .22 target pistols, where people associate combat/defensive polymer pistols with the mentioned big names.

I find the same with my FNP-9. It's a great pistol that just doesn't get talked about much.

I also think part of the lack of SR series hype has to do with the troubles people encountered with some of the early SR9's. Granted, all manufactures have growing pains and bugs to work through on new products, I think there was a lot of criticism regarding the early SR's and many of folks still have that in their heads, which will take some time and positive recognition to overcome.

Blackhawk30

Single-Sixer
I'm into Glocks big time.I got into them back in the 80's when they cost $325.I bought my G17 on a whim at a local gun store.For me it is a very easy gun to hit with.I shoot it better than any other centerfire auto.I don't have any in .357 SIG or 45 GAP.I am too into Glocks to bother with a SR9/40.Mags are waaaay cheaper.$10 vs $35.
Now I've been collecting Ruger .22 pistols for 30= years,but that is another story.:cool:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Blackhawk30 said:
Mags are waaaay cheaper.$10 vs $35.

THe days of $10 Glock mags have been over for about 3 years now. I remember them .... now they're more like $25.

REV

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
You seldom see Rugers on TV or in the movies, and you rarely see a law enforcement official with a Ruger on his/her hip (there goes the "cool" factor). The "P" series were rather "blocky" in style, physically large for caliber, and many people thought that they lacked "curb appeal".

Those who haven't actually fired one of the "SR" series pistols should judge them for what they are, and not by the Rugers that they've encountered in the past. My daughter, who was a hard-core revolver shooter, put two magazines through my SR9C then turned to me and said, "Daddy, can I have it?" We are now a two SR9c family, and I'll pick up SR9 #1 tomorrow.

Will I buy the fabled SR45 if/when Ruger actually builds it? Although I'm currently well served with a P90DC and a SR1911, I'll certainly take a close look at one.

Everyone has differing tastes and opinions. That's why they build more than one model automobile and make more than one flavor of ice cream. When it comes to firearms, Rugers simply suit me!

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
Around here the SR9 and 9C are pretty popular.
When I went to my CCW class there was 3 out of 18 students used and the 2 or the 3 intructors had them as well........