Why is .44 Special so good?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

noquarter

Single-Sixer
StonewallRuger":ukmq593q said:
I've been reading a bit on this forum lately and in the past, and I can't help but notice the apparent infatuation everyone seems to have with the .44 Special round. Can someone explain to me why this is? I am curious because I am ignorant, and, who knows, maybe I'm missing out. :)

Is it because of ballistics, value, or_____? I really don't know, so please enlighten me.

It has NOTHING to do with an inability to handle complex numbers like .357.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's a handloader's dream because whether factory or custom, it is easy to find an accurate load for. Lots of cast and jacketed bullets availabe. The plethora of bullets available for the .44Mag can be utilized. It does NOT suffer from the ambiguous chamber dimensions that continue to plague the .45Colt. It is much more efficient than the .45Colt, using significantly less powder to do the same work. In the smaller framed guns like the Colt SAA and mid-frame Ruger, the .45 is a lot of wasted powder capacity. It is far easier to reload for than the WCF's. Though I love and reload for the .38-40, the .44Spl is easier to load for by far and case life is a significant issue. It's a great and accurate cartridge but it's also a lot of trouble. The .44-40 equal to the .44Spl??? I don't think so. A proper .44WCF uses ~200gr .427-.428" bullets and there ain't exactly a broad selection of those. Not to mention lubing cases and short case life. Please.

I find it interesting the the detractors use words like "nostalgia" like it's a dirty word, while their grand old .45 is 30yrs older. The .45Colt is a great cartridge, I just don't drink the Kool Aid. In large frame guns, it is equal to the .44Mag and no more. While the .44 is typically more accurate and in less need of gunsmithing. Fact is, Elmer Keith was right. He did more shooting, experimenting, hunting and actually USING sixguns more than most of us ever will and he found what worked. The conclusions he came to are just as relevant today as they were then. It is still the perfect balance of power and portability in the proper sixgun. Whether you like it or not.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Yawwwwnnnn... :roll: (The cartridge, not you Craig :wink: ) Like I said, I'd like to have a FT .44 or a maybe a Bulldog...But neither would ever replace my beloved .45 BH! JMO, Dennis "Linebaugh" 8)

Fourbits

Bearcat
:D As a shooter the 44 Special has a great balance. Easy to reload. It doesn't hurt like a 44 Magnum. I regularly shoot a Lipsy's 44 special blackhawk and a S&W Classic Model 24 with a red dot sight. After years of shooting 45 ACP in an accurized Ithica I find the 44 special revolvers a refreshing change. My new enthusiam for revolvers led me to buy a Ruger Single six!