Why doesnt ruger make a 7 or 8 shot .357?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I'm just curious as why Ruger doesnt make a 7 or 8 shot .357. Looking around lately and noticed other companies not only produce 7 shot but S&W also produces a 8 shot .357. Why doesnt Ruger? Seems like an 8 shot will be a heck of a home gun. The thing that keeps me from even considering the S&W is the simple fact of internal lock.

Kanook

Buckeye
Not enough demand but, if they made one in the Redhawk frame, there is room in the cylinder and room in my safe.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
FoxMike, you have a point there. I geuss lately I've been just listening to folks talk about higher capacity and have started questioning what we have in the house.

s4s4u

Hunter
I think the 6 shot GP is big enough for a 357 gun. To put more holes in there it would have to be bigger. Is it worth the increase in size and weight for 1 or 2 more rounds? Methinks 6 should giterdun for HD.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
s4s4u said:
I think the 6 shot GP is big enough for a 357 gun. To put more holes in there it would have to be bigger.
No, a 7-shot cylinder is quite feasible for the GP-100. The GP's cylinder is the same diameter as S&W's L-frame (they use the same speedloaders) and S&W's 686+, a 7-round .357 mag, is an L-frame.

Going to 8 shots does require a larger pistol. S&W builds their 8-shot .357 on the N-frame so Ruger would have to use the Redhawk or Super Redhawk to do the same.

s4s4u

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
s4s4u said:
I think the 6 shot GP is big enough for a 357 gun. To put more holes in there it would have to be bigger.
No, a 7-shot cylinder is quite feasible for the GP-100. The GP's cylinder is the same diameter as S&W's L-frame (they use the same speedloaders) and S&W's 686+, a 7-round .357 mag, is an L-frame.

There wouldn't be much steel left around the holes. Not enough for my liking, I ride my GeeP hard.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf said:
MnBulldog said:
Fox Mike said:
IMHO if whatever you are shooting at, with a .357 magnum, isn't 'down' in 6 then one more isn't' going to help much.

So very true!

That assumes a lot. Things like only one target.

Jeff this is kind of what I was thinking but didnt mean to open a can of worms. I just really love the 357 and I love my 2 Rugers.

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf said:
MnBulldog said:
Fox Mike said:
IMHO if whatever you are shooting at, with a .357 magnum, isn't 'down' in 6 then one more isn't' going to help much.

So very true!

As long as it is not a snubbie version, you could always pummel your target with it.. LOL

True the number of targets does play a factor.

k22fan

Blackhawk
To fit eight .357s into their N frame S&W had to redesign it so that the barrel is screwed into the frame higher up. Without relocating the chambers further away from the center line of the N frame cylinder the largest .357 capacity possible was seven. S&W recovered their redesign and retooling costs by only offering their eight shot .357s as high priced Performance Center revolvers. It was many years before S&W offered 8 shot model 627s as a production line priced 4" revolver.

At the moment no manufacturer needs to go through the expense of redesigning their products. They can't fill all their back orders as is. So, while I might buy an eight shot RH or SRH because one would be neat, I won't hold my breath until they're on the shelf.

Although I love target shooting with them, objectively, large frame .357s are of dubious value since revolvers are obsolete as duty hand guns and they're too large for concealed carry. For field use, the extra capacity is nearly useless.

GP100man

Buckeye
Retooling cost ,plain & simple , set up costs .

Wonder what the MSRP would be on the "NEW REDISIGNED, 2 PEICE BARRELED 7 SHOT GP100" would be??? 1K ???

Pale Horse

Bearcat
Iron Mike Golf said:
MnBulldog said:
Fox Mike said:

So very true!

Or that you hit it all six times, and that all six worked, and that you hit vital areas...

This logic is silly to me. There are plenty of cases where people have run dry during gunfights and hunts without stopping their target. There is no magic bullet and there is no magic quantity that assures victory in every situation. If six makes you comfortable then that's great. Sometimes it's all I carry as well. But don't fool yourself, or attempt to fool others, into thinking it's all anyone would ever need.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
DonD said:
I think Ruger cherishes their well deserved rugged strength image. An 8-shot GP100 would have less heft between chambers and would be less tolerant of nuclear level handloads etc.
An 8-shot GP-100 isn't a condsideration but a 7-shot could be. As I mentioned, S&W offers a 7-shot L-frame which is almost identical in size to the GP.

Thel

Blackhawk
With respect to the 7 shot GP100 I would guess Ruger might consider it when sales start tapering off which is not currently the case. A somewhat larger diameter cylinder could be installed as Dave Clements does with his .44 Special conversions on them. I would guess it would depend upon the chamber centers to cylinder axis whether 7 could be fit in. Perhaps S&W's is greater. I would think there would be a bigger market for one than the 8 shot Redhawk as the GP would probably be a bit lighter than the 6 shot as is the S&W 686 Plus. Doing the redesign could allow the gun to be also offered in .44 Special and .41 mag. Probably a major consideration would be the type of production flow Ruger has vs. S&W as it impacts unit cost. I would think there must be some difference here as S&W offers many more models so they must be able to economically do smaller batches.