Why didn't the PC9 work out?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The merits, or lack of merits of a pistol-cartridge carbine have been argued for a long time. The advocates of these carbines will never be silenced, nor will the opponents.

Although I've owned both the 9mm and .40 S&W versions of the Ruger Police Carbine, I now own only the .40. I love it. Wish I still had the 9mm model too.

As a small arms repairman in the service, I must have grown accustomed to heavier triggers, as I never would have described my Ruger PC's as having heavy triggers.

These guns are fun to shoot, are cheap to shoot, have very little recoil, remain surprisingly clean, are pleasingly accurate, and even have a noticeably more comfortable firing report.

Nope, I can't carry it in a holster, so that's a downside of a carbine over a handgun, but I do think a carbine such as the Ruger makes for a great defense weapon when a feller is in a position to have it at hand.

And velocity gains in the longer carbine-length barrel? It might surprise folks to know of 2-to-3 hundred FPS increases with some ammo. The least increase is with cartridges advertised and designed to be most efficient in a short barrel. Here's a link to a pretty neat chart showing the velocity differences of different ammo with different barrels. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Why did the PC9 or PC4 fail? I've shared my opinion before. I think it was the gun dealers themselves that had little faith in its marketability. They wouldn't stock them, so there's no chance they would ever sell. And being a Ruger, they had little chance of police department acceptance.

Like 'em or hate 'em, the PC's will continue to surface, and the discussions will continue. I would suggest that for the opponents that hate them, but have never really handled one, they should make arrangements to give one a try, and have a little fun.

WAYNO.

DPris

Buckeye
My records from the Camp Carbines are too buried to find, but I've never lost velocity in a 9 through a longer barrel.

25 years ago I tested both 9 & .45 Camp guns & chronographed them against two pistols.
I do not recall which two pistols, but I do recall both Camp Guns posted velocity gains.

Earlier this year I compared a Colt 9mm AR to a Glock 17 with four loads.

Am Eagle FMJ 115 Glock 1192 FPS
Am Eagle FMJ 115 Colt 1337 FPS

Win JHP 115 Silvertip Glock 1237 FPS
Win JHP 115 Silvertip Colt 1454 FPS

Win JHP 147 PDX Glock 1002 FPS
Win JHP 147 PDX Colt 1109 FPS

Hills JHP 124 Glock 17 1141 FPS
Hills JHP 124 Colt 1339 FPS

The gain through a longer 9mm barrel obviously varies from load to load, and it's not as much as the .357 Mag picks up, but it's there.

As for the PC Carbine, I worked with two & bought the last one.
It lasted through several inventory reductions, but finally went because by then it was getting too orphaned.

It was a good design.
It just never sold well enough to stay in production.
Denis

57springer

Buckeye
mohavesam said:
Agree with the "good for what?" crowd. Heavy, lousy trigger, little or no velocity advantage over handguns, no optics option. And black, when black guns were not very popular (post-1988 ban). But heavy was the dealbreaker. Carrying one on a three-hour trek in the desert or at altitude would have been agony.

Probably made good for an entry weapon for policia, but not much intrinsic value for plinking or junkyard rats.
I always shunned them when found on the racks.
I had one I got used, traded it back a week later , like you said, the trigger was just horrible. :x