Who wants a SR9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Triton

Bearcat
After reading many posts here, I gather there is a huge group of SR9 owners.
So here is my question.....
I recently picked up a SR9 in a very good trade, considering what I had in the gun I traded.
I have never been one to own plastic bodied guns, I just always liked to feel the heft of a all steel piece. But as fate would have it, I now own my first plastic bodied handgun.
It appears to just be a cheaper manufacturing process, while maintaining the same or greater profit line. Smart financial move for Ruger.
So before I pass this SR9 on to someone else, I thought I would ask for some real life opinions of this gun. So fellows, be honest, please share.

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
You didn't say that you have done anything with it like take it out to the range and run some rounds through it. I have a SR9 and it is still my favorite firearm and there is a reason that quite a few people here have one. Pretty much dead-on out of the box. Smooth action and trigger once it is broken in. I have not had a jam or any issues with mine and it fits well in the hand considering it has a double stack magazine and having 17rnds at the ready doesn't hurt either.

I like it better than my SR40c carry, which I also am fond of, but I am looking to get the SR9c to also be one of my carry pistols. I am not getting into the different manufactures discussion but Ruger did this well, it is the best semi-auto they have out on the market (outside of the full metal frame SR1911).

Be fair and shoot/experience it for yourself before asking other people for their own opinions. Your mileage may vary but it is a good firearm.

WVGIRL

Bearcat
I have the SR9C and Dad has the SR9 we love'em. They are a blast (haha) to shoot. You should take yours out and try it I bet you will be greatly surprised by how much you like it.

HS-LD

Bearcat
I have been carrying 1911's and Glocks for the past 5 years CCW. When i sat down and tried to figure out why I was going back and forth it was because there were things I liked about each. The SR9 has the features that I wanted in one gun. So now I carry the Sr9 and the Sr9c.

Altered

Bearcat
Well looking at the title of the thread "Who wants a SR9?" yes I want one. I just haven't found the one I want. :wink: Ill find one in the condition I want and the price to match one day I suppose.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
If yours happens to be the green version then I want it. I do not have any of the SR series pistols yet but they are on the short list of purchase plans. I would like to start by finding the full size green one since it is not made anymore. Also I can say from all the people I have talked to about them everything has been good.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Triton said:
It appears to just be a cheaper manufacturing process, while maintaining the same or greater profit line. Smart financial move for Ruger.
Not too well versed in modern firearm technology are you? Glock, Sig, Beretta, Smith & Wesson, HK, Springfield Armory, FN and many others beside Ruger make "plastic" pistols these days and several have for decades.

Yes, it's a less expensive manufacturing process and most of the pistols so made are priced well below their all-metal equivalents. It also makes for a lighter gun, a very durable gun and is completely corrosion resistant.

Except for hidebound traditionalists they are very well accepted and the overwhelming majority of Law Enforcement departments use them.

Give it a fair trial before making any unwarranted conclusions.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
I don't think the original poster is bashing the SR9. Read his post. His question seems sincere. As a longtime 2nd generation S&W semi-auto owner (stainless steel 639 my fave), the first time I picked up a poly pistol I laughed. Seemed like a cookie cutter banged out of the factory in 10 minutes compared to the quality and workmanship of the steel hammer guns of the 80's. But that Glock blew my socks off with its reliability and accuracy. He asked a question about the SR9-I replied it's the best all-around semiauto I've ever owned, that is, every bit as reliable as the S&W 39 pistols I grew up on and nearly as accurate as the M639 I carried for years. Add 17+1 rounds and about half the weight of the M639 and the fact that it was over $100 less expensive than the M639 was new in 1988, you can't miss with the SR9. Love it so much I just bought an SR9c. What the OP needs is a few boxes of ammo and some time at the range with his SR9.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Keep it and enjoy it, they are accurate, dependable and pleasant to shoot. I have a 9, 9c, 40, 40c and 45 and would not part with any of them, will most likely get a 45c if they come out with one.

standerson

Bearcat
Our youngest has an SR9. We rented one before getting it for her. She is a small framed girl and loves it.

It is dead on accurate.

RUGERFAN357

Bearcat
I bought a SR9 first. Then bought a c. Planned on keeping both. Then I had to have a 1911. Not having much money, I bought a High Standard Compact, and traded the SR9 in on it. I had it only 2 months. Traded that in on GSG 1911-22. Love the GSG, but wish I had never gotten rid of the SR9. If I had gone with the GSG to begin with, I would not have needed to trade the SR9. But since I thought I wanted a 45, I gave up my SR9. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I did not think about what I really wanted. Now I know. I want my SR9 back.

Bill

Rei40c

Blackhawk
On the SR45c maybe it depends. There's really only be two ways to go with it in terms of capacity. A drastic increase in grip size to keep it double stack or I suppose it will be another single stack .45 compact 6 round pistol. Seems there's plenty of those already. I think I'd go XDS before a single stack SR45. But if they double stacked it, I think I'd be interested.

Also I think I'd be giving up a lot in terms of self defense by giving up my 10 .40s&w's for the sake of 6 .45acp. I admit .45's are always "cool" to most shooters, I just think my current SR40c would be better in a fight for my life with the additional rounds.

My idea would be to retain the same grip length or height of the pistol, same as the 9c or 40c, double stack it increasing grip thickness, and extend the barrel to 4 and a half inches. This would compete well with the xds. Some are now noticing the .45acp suffers from a 3.3 inch barrel in terms of velocity.

So from a marketing point of view it could beat the XDS in the following ways.
- Higher capactiy
- More velocity for the .45 round
- Longer site radius

I think a few would be attracted for these reasons, but again if they single stack it I don't really see anything new they are bringing to the table.

Triton

Bearcat
As Conn AK said, I wasn't trying to stir anything up, and I certainly wasn't bashing Ruger, after all, my safe has some on every shelf. The question was simple...after stating it was my first plastic gun, I was asking for opinions of the SR9 as a whole. I generally don't shoot 9 mm, I'm more of a 45 kind of guy.
My newly acquired SR9 is new, never fired, so I am trying to decide if I want to keep it or trade it in its "new" condition.
Thanks guys for sharing your opinions, yes, even the bashing ones were read with interest.
Happy shooting,

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
bought two of them several years ago. one of my youngsters turned 21 and she fancied it over all the others I showed her. bought myself one to shoot when Ari and I went to the range. soon became a favorite because of the ergonomics, accuracy and reliability. bought two more as gifts for another daughter and son in law --- wedding gifts. now also own an SR9c, SR45 and SR40. every one of the weapons I purchased has been flawless and accurate. that is 7 for 7, and the slim light weight makes it somewhat of a no brainer. so that you may understand, the SR series has pushed my MP40, XD tactical 45, XDS, Kimber STS and several others into the safe for occasional range use. when the weather stinks I carry a full sized model, when it is nice the SR9c works best.

shorthairptr

Bearcat
Before I got my CCW last year I was looking at the Ruger SR9 or a SR9c as my first / carry gun. I found they were too big for me as a carry gun so I went with a Sig P238. Its small, fits easily into my pocket but it only shoots 7. A year later I was looking for a home defense gun so I went back to the Ruger. My local store has a sale price which is $75-$100 cheaper then anywhere else so I bought it but haven't had time to shoot it yet.

The reason why I bought it besides the price was the Ruger name, 17 round mag, ambi (being a lefty) safety, and ease of taking it apart to clean. Having small hands the only thing I didn't like was the bulge of the back strap. The kid at the store said there was nothing I can do but after reading the instructions I found you can reverse the back strap from bulging to flat. Since I did that it now fits like a glove. I can't wait to shoot it this week..