Who owns a 2 1/4 & 3 1/16 SP101 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yamalink

Bearcat
It'd be for ccw and a truck gun. But I plan to shoot it often with mild 38 reloads, and the woman of the house will become proficient with it also.

Right now availability on gently used models is the main criteria, and if I can only find the shorter one I have questions:

For light AND 357 rounds does the shorter barrel have that much more muzzle flip and/or felt recoil all things being equal (stance, grip, ammo).

G2

Hunter
IMO the SP101 is at its best w/ the 3" Barrel.

3" SP101 Stainless is a heavy unique 3" gun, nothing quite like it out there.

When it get's to 2" guns, they are CC guns, and the options out there are many.

My 3" first year production .38 SP101 has it's own place in the range bag.
DSCN6667.jpg

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have 2 of the 2 1/4" ones. With 38's they are great little guns. With the 357's they are quite a handful. I load 357's for carry and shoot 38's for plinking. The reason I have 2 is that my wife loves to shoot mine and is very accurate with 38's in it. She liked it so much that she bought herself one just like mine. They both shoot to poa with 38's and 357 ammo. The sp101 is the best made gun on the market in my opinion. They would last several lifetimes with regular use. A little heavy because they are built like a tank but a awesome little gun.

I have the 2 1/4" in 38 only with adjustable sights and I love it but I can't help you with what the shortie does with full house 357's. With the good SD ammo out there now I didn't feel handicapped with the 38 Special. Besides it was LNIB for under $375 OTD so it came home with me for that price.

I have the 3 inch and my son has the 2 inch barrel sp 101. Either can be cc. Though the 2 inch clears leather a bit sooner. The 3 inch has a little bit more ooph due to approx 50 fps gain in velocity.
gramps

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have both. The short barrel one is a DAO. Naturally, the shorter one will exhibit more muzzle blast and flip. It is a consequence of physics.

I usually shoot Win Silvertip .357 Mag loads in mine, or handload equivalents. Neither are particularly difficult to shoot well for an experienced handgun shooter. However, the recoil is there. With 38SP loads or +Ps anyone should be able to handle either version with some practice. They are easier to shoot well than S&W lightweight J-frame carry guns (e.g. 637, 638, 642) because of the frame mass and grip design. The short barrel one has advantages as a carry gun because it fits nicely in a front jeans pocket. The 3" one is as little too long and is more desireable if holster carry, either IWB or belt, is the primary option.

maxpress

Buckeye
I sold my 2" because I had larger groups, more muzzle flash, and it didnt conceal any better than my 3". As far as recoil there wasnt much of a difference.

Hugh

Buckeye
I have both. I purchased my 2-1/4" SP-101 .357 in January 2009 and have shot .38 Spl and .357 Magnum cartridges up to and including Buffalo Bore 180 grain, through it. I really like it; recoil is there but not significant with .38 Spl including +P, very noticeable recoil with .357 Magnum. I recently purchased a 3-1/16" SP-101 .357 Magnum. Early this week I took them both along with a box of 50 125 grain JHP .357 Magnum cartridges to the local indoor range, and shot 25 through each. I did not notice a significant difference in recoil between the two. It may have been there; I just didn't notice it. I'm trying to decide which will be my main carry piece and which lives in the night stand.

The three of us will be making a few more trips to the range after the Trausch grips arrive for 3-1/16" SP. The other one already wears them.

I really like the SP-101.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I've had both barrel lenths & the 3-1/16" SP101 shoots better & has less perceived recoil than the 2-1/4"..
The only downside to the longer barrel is the extra weight & ease of concealment..
I've always prefered the DAO in a snubbie & had the DA/SA in the 3-1/16" Barrel..
The Hogue grip gives the best purchase on the SP101 but you also give up concealment..

sp101sdelfatti6zp.jpg

Holster By Matt DelFatti

Snobal

Bearcat
Davidsons has both barrel lengths in stock with Hogue grips.

I have both barrel lengths and for me there is no comparison between them --- the 3" is by far better.

The 2" is a truly fine, heavy-duty CCW gun, while the 3" is a "do everything," all-round great shooting revolver that does a fair to good job at about anything needed from a revolver.

Just for fun, I've been using the 3" SP101 with target wad-cutter loads in our local Bullseye matches. It sure is a hoot when I score all the shots in timed- and rapid-fire.

When folks asked what should be their first revolver, I used to tell them to get a 4" GP100 --- now I suggest the 3" SP101 because it is so much fun to shoot. :D

JMHO - YRMV

PackinPreacher

Bearcat
Eric N. said:
Whats not to love,the 3.06 in. SP 101.
I've had mine for about 6 mos. and still haven't found a satisfactory concealed holster for it so it has remained a range and hunting gun for now. Any suggestion? I do have a limited budget.

maxpress

Buckeye
PackinPreacher said:
Eric N. said:
Whats not to love,the 3.06 in. SP 101.
I've had mine for about 6 mos. and still haven't found a satisfactory concealed holster for it so it has remained a range and hunting gun for now. Any suggestion? I do have a limited budget.

Holster? Thats what i like about them. Do up your belt and stick it down the back of your pants. :lol:

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
If going IWB is the 3 inch that much more of a hassle to conceal than the 2 inch, when disregarding the amount of time from taking it out of the holster?

The idea of an all around gun that the 3 inch provides is a definite plus in my eyes.

I can deal with the weight, but I want my CC gun to be comfortable when carrying it, and if the 3 inch doesn't change that much to the comfort I may just be persuaded to buy the 3 inch instead of the 2.

The 3 inch is marginally less comfortable than a 2 inch. A good leather holster will go along way for comfort. Simply Rugged makes the sourdough pancake, it is reasonably priced. I use a Ken Null IWB that is great. Pricey, but worth it. A good holster will last a lifetime, and costs anywhere from 10 to 20 % of the original cost of the gun(ie 2-4 boxes of cartridges).
gramps

MidLife

Single-Sixer
I enjoy my SP101 357 magnum. 158gr is as high as I'd like to go with factory 357 magnum rounds. The Remington factory Golden Saber round has a particular sweet spot with me in this revolver. It is my SD round. It is a very comfortable round in any 357.
SP101d.jpg

customf1

Bearcat
I have the 2.25 inch with crimson laser and I shot 38 and 357 FMJ . 38 went through like butter very little recoil, I won't be shooting the 357 FMJ again through this gun again way to much trauma on the hand and recoil as I found out at the range. I did shoot Hornaday Critical Defense JHP 357 and they were also smooth with normal to expected recoil, but never the 357 FMJ again, too small of a gun for this application.

It is interesting how the mileage varies. I shoot CorBon's 200 gr wfn in my 3 inch sp-101, and use it for my woods carry in the lower 48. I load my own 125 gr through 173 gr lead boolits. They are snappy, but not uncomfortable. You just need to shoot it and see what your tolerance is. I don't tolerate the recoil of the kel-tec p-3at in .380, but enjoy my .44 mag 4 inch Redhawk. Go figure.
gramps

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm a little late to this post,, but here goes.
We have one each of them,, and we use them in our NRA WOT clinics. I have found that each lady will have a different preferrence. I have different grips on each one as well. I do not think most folks notice much differences in recoil,, but more in how they balance.

Latest posts