Who Makes the Ruger 1911 Magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
dlidster said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
All 3 of my mags are marked Ruger, Made in USA. :wink:
Check-Mate is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). They make both the seven- and eight-round magazines.

That may be the case now. However, for some of us our SR1911's came with mags made in Italy by Mec-gar. These were then 7 round blued mags. 8)

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Ruger Packer said:
dlidster said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
All 3 of my mags are marked Ruger, Made in USA. :wink:
Check-Mate is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). They make both the seven- and eight-round magazines.

That may be the case now. However, for some of us our SR1911's came with mags made in Italy by Mec-gar. These were then 7 round blued mags. 8)
This is the first time I've heard this. I thought Ruger had made the point that they were furnishing stainless magazines. How many people have received blued ones?

BTW, I'm not referring to now. Mine was test fired April 27, 2011. I bought the first week of May in 2011.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
dlidster said:
Ruger Packer said:
dlidster said:

This is the first time I've heard this. I thought Ruger had made the point that they were furnishing stainless magazines. How many people have received blued ones?

BTW, I'm not referring to now. Mine was test fired April 27, 2011. I bought the first week of May in 2011.

Just going from memory here... got mine in Oct. '11. Envelope was dated, IIRC, 9/1/11. The stainless 8 rd mag is USA made. The 7 rd mag is blued and marked "Made in Italy". I seem to have misplaced it :? but will find it and take a pic of both and post it.

I bought a 1/2 dozen 1911 mags from a guy on a 1911 forum, 5 of them were Metalform and one was a well used Mec-gar. I compared it to the Mec-gar that came with my SR1911. Looked exactly the same. I've used it several times and its 100% reliable.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Dealers have been known to play dirty tricks and swap out parts. A local dealer purchased 24 GP-100 for a security company at the time Ruger annouced that they were changing to Hogue. The dealer swaped the grips and sold them at $60 each.

Distributors have also been known to pull this stunt. More than 20 years ago I went to my distributor. I had an FFL back then. Picked up 4 M9 Berettas. The mags were not factory. One call to Beretta comfirmed the problem. As I was a LEO and FFL they investigated. It was the pickup manager that was swaping them.

sglide05

Bearcat
I haven't had any problems with mine. Is there a mag for the SR1911 that is better than the stock ones? I'd like to get a couple extra in case of an invasion!!!!

dlidster

Single-Sixer
sglide05 said:
...Is there a mag for the SR1911 that is better than the stock ones?...

Wilson 47D. Absolutely reliable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/644241/wilson-combat-magazine-with-base-pad-1911-government-commander-45-acp-8-round-stainless-steel

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Mine was test fired April 2 2011 and I have two SS mags both marked Made in USA. Never have heard of blued ones before now, nor any made in Italy. Maybe when they got behind on orders???

Dan

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Not having a Ruger 1911 I have a question

Does the Ruger 1911 magnhave a wider base plate then a standard 1911?

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Boy I'm glad I got rid of my SR1911. All the rest of my 1911s work
perfectly on some nickel plated mags I got from my local dealer . . .
for $9.95 each (YES, under ten dollars). :roll:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
All the rest of my 1911s work perfectly on some nickel plated mags I got from my local dealer . . .
for $9.95 each (YES, under ten dollars). :roll:

I agree ... every one of my Colts and Springfields work flawlessly with any mag I grab at random from about 50 1911 mags that I've bought over the years used at gunshows for as little as 50 cents or from CDNN for $5.99 each.

Any 1911 that needs special mags or $30 mags to run right is a pretty crappy 1911, or it isn't to true 1911 specs.

I really don't get the fascination with 1911 mags. They're the straight blade screwdriver of the gun world.

Who makes the SR1911 mags ... WHO CARES ?

REV

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
I really don't get the fascination with 1911 mags.
They're the straight blade screwdriver of the gun world.
Remember back a decade or two when (forget the manufacturer)
47D was "the only magazine that would have your gun run correctly"?

Yup, the guys saying that were just as full of hot air as now. :roll:

:D

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yeah ... Wilson had a lot of the newbie 1911 owners conned. Made a ton of money off gullible buyers who had more money than common sense. :D

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/1911-Magazine-45-ACP-Full-Size-8-Round-Standard-Base-Pad/productinfo/47D/

Only $32.95 !!!!

Such a DEAL !!!!

LOL !!!!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Maybe some guys don't want to believe it, but Ruger buys parts and mags from several suppliers (at the same time). Ruger's Supply Chain does not put all their eggs in one basket - this is a "Risk-Mitigation Plan". Checkmate and Mec-Gar are only two 1911 magazine (lowest-bidder) sources, as there are more than two approved for this common part. Magazines are received, weight-counted, stored in bins, and delivered to the assembly tables as-needed just prior to function and test-fire. Its not rocket science.

Hence, there were multiple suppliers' lots available from 2011 to 2014 - and still are? Same goes for internals and grips, although if you really want to get anal like some quasi-collectors enjoy - several SR1911 models are/were sold to distributors without grips at all, so that those distributors can install special and unique grip panels themselves, when approved by Ruger.

I think some would be surprised to learn the gun-parts community is very intertwined and the extent to which everyone sells parts and processes to everyone else. "Make-or-Buy" manufacturing economics 101.

One thought - with ITAR regs, Mec-Gar and others sell from a US-based catalog or warehouse, so likely every part is "USA sourced", to make ad-copy claims legit.

And yes, Ruger execs do shoot locally, from Gunsite to CVSF to the now-defunct PSR (and they live & raise families here). No big secret. It is a rural community.

Latest posts