Which Ruger Standard model?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Laserlips

Bearcat
Help,

I want to buy another Ruger "Standard" 22cal pistol. I'm old, and in decades past had several of the first versions (Mk1?). I liked them so much as my vision declined and I couldn't see to plink so well I gave several to my step-son's and another relative and I haven't owned one now for probably 20 years.

The ones I had were all bought new, and some had the 4" barrel, some the 6" barrel. Never had a bad one, and I've always thought for a riimfire plinker the old Ruger Standard would be hard to beat.

Thanks to the miracle of eye surgery I'm once again back to 20/20 for distance vision, and I feel a hankering to buy another Ruger like those I had in the past.

My question is, should I look for a Mk 1,2,3? I don't need "fancy", I just want a fun plinker again.

I had considered the new SR22, but I like steel in my guns, and from what I've read about the SR22 it seems like it's having some problems, and I'm not crazy about the way the barrel is screwed down and stuff like that.

So, for an old fart who will only shoot holes in paper, and the occasional feral coke can I might walk up on in the woods, what do you recommend?

Just looking for advice from you folks who have newer experiences with the Ruger rimfire pistols.

Thanks!

Jesse

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
I personally like the II because it does not have the lci and mag disconect that ruger added to the III but does lock the bolt back on the final shot unlike the standard. The II and III hold 10rds as opposed to 9 on the standard. I went for the 4" tapered barrel in stainless as it was the best deal on a used mk at the local shop.

I did eventually put a tactical solutions fluted aluminum bull barrel/receiver on it though, it dropped the weight significantly, came pretapped for a rail, and threaded for a supressor. It was really overkill for what the gun is and pricey bt I got it in my head to do it, so I did.

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
:D I have both an original standard model and the MKII version. Both very accurate, shot to 50ft. point of aim with fixed sights and reliable. The MKII has the 10th shot and mags are easier to come by, plus I like the hold open after the last shot. Other than that no difference. Some people dislike the LCI on the MKIII's, and they seem to have more issues with FTF and FTE. The fixed sight models seem to be more affordable on the used market. My MKII is stainless and I like its durability over the finish on a blued gun. You can't go wrong either way.
Cape Cod Terry :D

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Any of them will work fine for you, look for one with adjustable sights, may want to consider a longer barrel for sight radius if you dont plan on using an optic of any sort. The mark 3 mag release is on the side of the grip and easier to get to than the bottom mounted mark 1 and 2. People like to make a big deal of the loaded chamber indicator and the magazine safety on the mark 3 but it is rather insignificant and not a deal breaker and I wouldn't waste time thinking about it.

I much prefer the MKII action; got all the RIGHT improvements and none of the others. I'm used to the heel magazine catch so the MKIII's 1911-type catch doesn't do much for me.

Unfortunately everybody else agrees with me in CA, so I couldn't find a stainless standard fixed sight MKII for sale. Had to go to Idaho to get one. (But I wanted to go anyway....).

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I was never much a fan of the Standard, but this past week I've had some extensive time with 2 of them, a 4.75" blued MKII (posted some chrono data about it in this forum) and just today a new MKIII 4.75 stainless, one of the Sports South exclusives.

My others are MKII Target Competitions or 6 7/8" tapered Target models, but danged if both of those short Standards weren't really fun!!

It seems MKII stainless models with short barrels are a bit difficult to find, no one wants to give them up. I prefer the MKII to the MKIII, but that new one sure is a shooter, really accurate, and I like the fact that it will be easy to set up with a red dot if so desired b/c it is drilled and tapped. I did spend all day reaching for the bottom of the grip to drop the mag though :D !

I can see the SS KMKIII4 getting a lot of field and plinking use in the future. It was pretty easy to bust clays on the ground with it out to 40 yards or so. From a bench it was grouping Rem Golden Bullets (I know, I know...of all the luck ... :roll: ... but it liked CCI Blazers about as well) into about 1.25" at 30 yards. Not bad for a short barrel and open sights. I think it would really shoot with a small red dot. It was my first time spending any time with a MKIII; it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

I think the ideal compromise might be a MKII 5.25" tapered barrel Target model if you were going to stick with open sights.

ranger1

Buckeye
A couple of my Standard Rugers…a MK II and MK III with 4.75" barrels.

They're great plinkers and have decent accuracy if I do my part. You can't go wrong owning a Standard MK II or MK III, either with a 4.75" or 6" barrel IMO.

Good luck in your search!

DSCF0024-1.jpg

wproct

Single-Sixer
If you have the choice, I prefer the MKII. 10 shot mag and slide locks back on last shot, all good, and nothing more that isn't necessary.