Which is more versatile? 45colt or 44special?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I've never owned a 44 Special (made some ammo, though 8)), and got rid of my 45 Colt Redhawk some years back.
That's because I kept my 5.5" 44 Redhawk, the actual most versatile choice :shock:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Rclark said:
it's a lot of wasted space.
All depends on the powder you put in it, so don't see that as a 'argument'. Trail Boss? load tell it touches the bottom... Black Powder? Fill that case up and slightly compress.... 4227, 2400, 296/h110, SR4759, .... All depends what you load in it. Same with any cartridge. Say using Bullseye, the .357 case looks pretty empty.... No, give me a .451 over a .429 any day with a case big enough, but not to big ... gives lots of loading options with no downside. S. Colt know what he was doing when he designed the .45 Colt cartridge, and Linebaugh and Ross, and others took it to its potential... what's not to like? ;) :D . Has stood the test of time.
Firstly, this discussion started about the .44Spl, not the .44Mag. A discussion of the .44Spl could only be in the context of mid-frames. So any rhetoric about "Ruger only" loads is off topic.

The .44Spl is no spring chicken, having been born in 1907, with its roots going back well before the .45Colt. Its roots go back before Colt could even legally produce a breechloader. The .45Colt does not have a monopoly on history. The sixgun that led directly to the development of the .45Colt, was a .44. Arguably the most popular cartridge during the whole time period was the .44-40. While .45 fans love the "mine is bigger" nonsense, it's a lot like a high school Ford vs. Chevy argument.

The argument is that while the .45Colt is a large, imposing case, unless you're using blackpowder, it is a lot of wasted powder capacity at standard pressures. Which means you have to use more powder to reach the same velocity. Great if you like appearances, not impressive if you don't. The .44Spl is a much more efficient cartridge and a better balance in the mid-frames. Does that mean I don't like the .45Colt in a mid-sized package? Certainly not, I wouldn't own two of them if I didn't like them. The .44Spl is just a better cartridge for the platform.

And what did they have to do to take it to its potential? Custom cylinders with tight chambers and properly sized throats? If you want a good .44, buy one. If you want a good .45, you might have to build one. You're not going to tell me anything about the .45 I don't already know.

I have SIX .45Colt's and have enough money tied up in them to buy nearly three times as many factory .44's.

Winchester 1892 has chambers so oversized that it spit powder granules in my face with anything but "Ruger only" loads.

Ruger Bisley Vaquero had undersized throats. After a full professional tune-up and throat reaming, costing more than the gun did, it shoots almost as good as my box stock .44's.

Colt New Frontier actually shoots well with .452's, despite having .456" throats.

Early USPFA from Uberti parts, has .457" throats and shoots halfway decent. Shoots best with .454's.

Kirst gated conversion on a 3rd Model Dragoon, has standard spec, oversized chambers and throats. Prefers .454's, if I can find them.

Uberti Schofield also has standard spec, oversized chambers and throats. Shoots best with .454's.

I've never had to have any gunsmithing done on any of my five .44Spl's, two .44Colt's and seven .44Mag's for them to shoot well with standard .430" cast bullets.

On the .44Mag tangent, at "Ruger only" levels, the .44Mag retains a 200fps advantage for bullets of equal sectional density and a 100fps advantage for bullets of equal weight. IMHO, the difference between the two is insignificant.

Does any of that mean I don't like the .45Colt? Well, I probably wouldn't have a brand new Dillon 650 with casefeeder sitting in my loading room, waiting to be setup if I didn't like it. I just don't live under the illusion that it's a "clear winner" over the .44's. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. That's why I have both.

Fact is, the best .45's are built, not bought (unless it's an FA). If I'm going to the expense of building a proper .45, I would prefer a real big bore (.475 or .500).

MaxP

Buckeye
Uh, Craig, a .45 Colt is a real big bore, a .429......well........ :mrgreen:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
The original post asks which is more versatile, while not being used for hunting. With quality guns in both calibers, and I do believe Ruger is making both calibers right now-a-days, the question for me really comes down to weight vs. shootability. With standard to mid-range loads, there isn't enough difference in performance to matter. Of the new mid-frame flattops, the 44 special is a few ounces heavier, which I find a little easier to shoot accurately, but I like the few ounces in weight savings found in the 45 colt. Regarding guns made in the last eight to ten years or so, I've found Ruger 45 colt chambers/throats to be pretty good, with acceptably tight chambers and throats at .452" (Other folks may have different experiences, but these are mine. I have a blackhawk from the mid 70s with .458" throats and chambers so big that loaded rounds with once-fired neck-sized brass look like 44-40 rounds! ). For me, the heavier the gun- the better I shoot it. But I like to be able to pack it in a hip holster, on foot or horseback, without the gun pulling my trousers down or feeling like it could do so. A 4 and 5/8" Mid-Frame old model converted to 44 special weighs about 34oz's. The new model Flattop 44 special with of the same size is 42oz's. While I can generally shoot the new model better due to it's weight, I would prefer to pack the Old Model all day, and I could shoot it acceptably well. A similarly configured old model 45 colt might weigh 28 to 30oz's or so. This might be too light for me to control, while the 36oz new model is about right. So, for me, the old model 44 special conversion is the "Cat's meow", and the new model mid-frame 45 colt is a very good (and much less expensive) alternative. Both, for me, are "packable and practical" (Yes, I've read some Linebaugh!).

CraigC

Hawkeye
I think you seriously overestimate the weight difference between .44's and .45's. It is certainly not "a few ounces". The difference is less than 1oz.

A Single Six with aluminum XR3 grip frame is 33oz. A mid-frame .45 is going to be more like 36oz.

Rclark

Hunter
Mine (just weighed the three blued 5 1/2" revolvers that were out of safe) :
.45 Colt Flattop (medium frame) : 40.75oz
.45 Colt New Vaquero (medium frame) : 40.125oz
.44 Spec Flattop (medium frame) : 41.875oz

SS Single Six .22LR 6 1/2" : 39.625oz

My New Model .45 Colt (larger frame) was like 39oz from memory. That is because it has an alloy ERH and grip frame. Otherwise it would be heavier. As Craig says, you are only gaining an oz or so....

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I have not actually weighed the 4 and 5/8" barreled NM flattop 45 colt. I was just going off of what Ruger website says it weighs (36oz's). Ruger says that the 5.5" version weighs 40oz's. It does make sense that that the shorter version would be closer to 40oz's though because there is only one ounce difference between my 5.5" and 4 and 5/8" NM 44 Specials. Anyone actually weighed their 4 and 5/8" flattop 45 colt? Either way, it is still the lightest of the NM flat tops.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Guess I'm veering off the topic trail as usual, but the only .44 Spl I ever had a hankering for would be along the lines of the Bulldog in it's obvious role. Otherwise, gimme big cases that hold plenty of slow powder behind heavy bullets and a platform to handle same. The big frame ".43 mag" and .45 Blackhawks fit the bill... 8)

CraigC scores a 10X on .45 LC dimensioning though. I think perhaps the old hogleg should have retained it's original .454" groove instead of becoming some kinda second cousin to the .45 ACP. The "hogleg" 45 can outmuscle the "selfloader" 45 every trip of the train. It deserves proper tolerances as John Linebaugh and Dick Casull knew... :wink:

Just two centavos...

CraigC

Hawkeye
36oz is wrong. Ruger used to be very poor about getting accurate weights in their catalog and many were generalized across multiple configurations and chamberings. They're much better now than they were but still occasionally drop the ball on it. The 36oz figure is a carryover from the standard large frame convertible with aluminum grip frame and ejector housing. The actual weight is around 41oz.

Bucks Owin said:
CraigC scores a 10X on .45 LC dimensioning though.
The problem is not the cartridge but the guns that chamber them and the overly generous SAAMI chamber specs. If the manufacturers could all agree on proper dimensions for the .45, it would change things greatly. Settle on .480" chambers and .452" bullets and we'd be golden.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I had this same dilemma. I ended up with the 45 convert able as I like the ability to use 45 A C P ammo.

If not for the convert able cylinder I would have gone with the 44.

Corbi

5of7

Hunter
In my opinion, it depends on the gun. In a large frame gun, the better choice might be the .45 LC, but if it is the smaller frame gun, I would opt for the .44 Sp.

As to the .45 LC and proper dimensions, I guess I got lucky when I bought my 4.2" Redhawk. The chambers are properly close, the throats are .4525, and the headspace is .002" more than SAAMI minimum.

I would consider this particular .45 LC to be more versatile than a .44 Special......BUT I would not allow myself to have no .44 Specials in my battery. I currently have 3 and looking for more. 8)

Latest posts