which 22lr??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
my local shop has a few 22lr guns on sale, the more expensive more so than the cheaper ones. i have a ruger lcr9mm for a carry gun and have wanted a 22lr for a while. i never could save enough but a few friends got together and put enough money together to give me and with the rule i have to get a 22lr with it. i guess i have worried them sick talking about one, so i went to my local store and they have these to chose from. a heritage rough rider 6 inch barrel $159, a north american arms black widow 2 inch $275, north american arms mini master 4 inch $285, a ruger lcr $349. all guns come with a free 400rd box of browning 22lr solid lead. they only have one of each and i plan on going tomorrow morning. i am leaning toward the ruger because my 9mm lcr has been great. the gun will mostly be used for plinking and maybe rabbit or squirrel if they sit still, my wife is recoil shy and has said she may try it as well. so which would ya'll choose and why?, thanks for any help.

skeeter

Single-Sixer
The NAA mini revolvers are very accurate. They are single action so have a pretty nice trigger pull. The mini master 4 inch should be a nice revolver. They are a pain to load though, you have to pull out the cylinder and eject the empty cases by hand. I think the LCR is difficult to shoot, being double action only.

Snake45

Hawkeye
AJGUNNER said:
If choosing from that group----hands down get the Ruger and only the Ruger.

For a better choice in an all around 22, save your money for new, or buy a decent used single six---you will not regret it.
Agree completely on all counts.

You ought to be able to wait and find a used Ruger Mk II in your price range, which IMHO you'd like better than anything on your list.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
For plinking and occasional small game, you're looking for accuracy, which the short barrel guns are not good at over about 20 feet. The short barrel also sacrifices muzzle velocity, which means less energy on target for small game.

z1r

Single-Sixer
Of those mentioned, the Ruger. I too think a Single Six I'd the way to go. Bought my first, used, in 1986. It is still as accurate as it was the day I got it. Mine is convertible and is a whole different animal with the magnum cylinder installed.

eveled

Hawkeye
I will reinforce what others have said. From the list you gave the LCR is the only one I'd buy.

But you'd be better off with a used single six, mk2, or a 10/22. The sr22 seems like a good choice too, but I've never shot one.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
Picking only from that list, I would choose the Heritage Roughrider, and immediately start saving for a higher quality used gun. Single Six, Ruger Standard/MkI/II etc., Browning Buckmark, S&W auto loaders are all good stuff. Even better are S&W and Colt revolvers.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
sorry i haven't updated been busy, well me and my wife went to check at all the shops and one shop had a taurus 4 inch 94 in, trigger pull was so bad i had trouble with it so i passed. my wife mentioned possibly carrying as she can open carry till she can get her permit. so this put another idea in the gun we needed, she had surgery a few years ago and can't handle recoil on her wrist, her finger strength is good but when she shot my service six with low recoil 38's it hurt her for several days. when she mentioned about carry i thought of the lcr 22mag but she wanted to check the lcr 22 out. the shop that had the lcr 22 had caps to let her dry fire, she loved the gun and we got the lcr 22. so my Christmas present has turned into her's but thats ok as now we both can go in the back yard to shoot. she said i could carry and shoot it too, i'll have to see how it shoots first before hunting with it. so i have a new shootin buddy, so things turned out pretty good. thanks for all the help.