which .22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
OK, just started looking for a 22 for target/plinking and other fun things. Not interested in anything sexy, just a good solid dependable...blah, blah all that stuff..
I see revolvers, mags, 45ish, 8-10 shot, 1911ish...What's a newbee to do? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I Own a GP100 6" S/S, and LC9. What to add?

gfw1985

Bearcat
The MK series w/ 5.5 bull barrel is a nice little pistol. I've had a couple in the earlier series and just purchased a MKIII for my youngest son. I like them better than the higher priced Buckmark.

wwb

Hunter
For pure utility, a Mark II standard is hard to beat.... I prefer the 6".

If you prefer a wheelgun, the SP in .22 is the most bang for the buck..... a Single Six is more fun, but a DA is really more practical.

hammie

Single-Sixer
The bad news is that you will get as many different opinions as responses. The good news is that there are no wrong answers and whatever you choose will likely be a winner. That having been said, my perspective is:

As gfw1985 said, the standard auto with a 5.5 inch target barrel is a good choice. My mark II will shoot as well as my friend's S&W 41, at 1/3 the purchase cost and without the ammunition sensitivity of the model 41. The downside is that the takedown on the ruger standard auto is more complicated than the buckmark or other autoloading handguns. However, I've found that after you do it a few times and learn the tricks and after the bolt stop pin loosens a little, the dis-assembly is not as daunting as you would initially think.

As wwb, said, the double action SP101 is hard to beat. You have 8 shots, and can load and unload it more quickly than a single action revolver. Some find the hi-viz front sight a little garish, but with my aging eyes, I like it.

There is also the single action, single six revolver. The big advantage is that it comes with an extra cylinder chambered for .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR), which represents a big step up in power over the .22 LR. My chronograph tells me that most .22 magnums run between 1300 and 1400 ft/sec from my 4 5/8 barreled single six. That's .22LR high velocity RIFLE performance, from a handgun. If you don't need that power, then use the .22 LR cylinder. Incidentally the Magnum cylinder will also chamber the less common .22 Winchester Rimfire (WRF). It's sort of a mid-range cartridge between the .22 rimfire and the .22 magnum. Both winchester and CCI make the .22 WRF.

There is also the single action ruger bearcat. It's small and elegant, but comes in .22LR only. No .22 WMR cylinder.

My choice would be either the MK series with a 5.5 inch bull barrel , or the single six, or ideally both.

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
I suggest a good single six. With a little practice, it is not as slow to load and unload as you would think. Get in a good rhythm and that thing is empty in no time. Not like changing a auto's magazine, but fast enough for what a 22 is good for. Also, a single six has so much class. I love mine and it is honestly the last gun I would ever let go of. It can do darn most anything if it really had to.

I commend you for getting a good 22 handgun. If you want to be a good pistol shot, it takes lots of practice and a 22 is essential unless you have an ammo factory in your possession.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
great thoughts! thnx so much.

"The bad news is that you will get as many different opinions as responses. The good news is that there are no wrong answers and whatever you choose will likely be a winner."
I get it hammie, I agree too. Just want to get educated thoughts...

Any one else?

jjas

Single-Sixer
I've owned single sixes, mark lls and mark llls. I've owned 22/45s, a sig mosquito and the new sig .22 that looks like a 1911.

Of all the .22s I've owned, the Ruger standard model w/4.75 barrel and fixed sights has been my absolute favorite. It's light, it's accurate, it's reliable, and it's durable.

hammie

Single-Sixer
@slyk willy: I always come here for answers about rugers. This site is welcoming and fun, and I am amazed at the depth of knowledge of the moderators and "regulars" on this forum. I never fail to learn something here with each visit.

I envy you. It's exciting to get a new gun. I think half the fun is in the planning. Lets us know what you decide.

eveled

Hawkeye
As you can tell by this picture I love Ruger .22's. Not because I have some predetermined byas toward Rugers but because when you compare their guns with the competitors the Rugers come out on top. They are very well built, pleasing to the eye, and function very well for a very long time. For the money you can't beat a Ruger. Are there better .22's out there? Maybe but they cost alot more than the Ruger's and it is debatable if they are better or not.

liamscurls014.jpg

My favorite is the single six convertable. Also don't forget the new single ten.

Ed

wizofwas

Buckeye
Single Sixes or Marks, either one is a great and a fun weapon to shoot. From what few of them that I've shot, they're all tack drivers, in the right hands. If it was me, I'd get a single six to start with, but you're not me. So I'm going to tell you to look over your choices and pick one that feels right to you. And if you can, shoot some different ones to see what you like shooting.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
BearCat huh? I'll have to look that one up. At first I thought you were referring to my Forum classification. :roll:
Mike, I get the hands and eyes thing. When I first decided I wanted to shoot about a year ago, my Brother and his friend had about 25 handguns for me to try, some of them, I picked up and put down without a second thought. I "setteled" on my GP100 after shooting friends Dan Wesson 357 revolver. It was the one that fit me the best and felt good in my hand. WAY to pricey for my first pistol though. The GP100 was a good alternative.
I sure will Hammie, I've a great shop locally here in Mid Michigan. I bought both my guns from them and they've been very good to me. They offer good advise too. That coupled with the wealth of knowledge from this forum will surely help me make the right call. Yeah it is a big chunk of the fun ain't it? :lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I currently have about a dozen MK series guns, (MKI's, MKII's, MKIII.) a 6 shot SP-101, a SR-22, and at least 25 or so Single-Six variations. While my SS's are part of my SA collecting, I teach a lot of new shooters to shoot & have found that the MK series is the best all around for general uses. YOu can plink, hunt, or even target shoot. Cost is usually lower for a MK series than the others, and extra magazines aren't expensive.

The MKII is the best of all 3 of the MK series. It doesn't have the lawyered up mag disconnect, or the loaded chamber indicator, and is easier to re-assemble than the MKIII. It has the ability of operating the bolt with the safety on, (vs the MKI series,) and has the bolt hold open feature.
Go for the MKII!

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I like the Ruger 22/45. I find the grip angle on the standard a little too extreme for my shooting. The grip angle on the 22/45 is similar to a 1911's grip angle and I'm very comfortable shooting 1911's.

The upper receiver is standard Mark II / Mark III but the grip is a little different.

It is by far the most accurate handgun I own and that includes some that cost 3X as much.

22's are inexpensive to shoot, the Rugers are not expensive to purchase they are a lot of fun to shoot.

As has been said, any of them are going to be great and any of them are most likely going to be more accurate than you can hold.

Jeff

eveled

Hawkeye
Don't cheap out when you buy a 22. If you buy a nice one you'll want to shoot it. Not only will you want to you'll be able to afford to shoot it a lot! Spend $20 on ammo for your GP100 and have fun for 20minutes. Spend $20 on 22's and have fun all day!

Something else to be aware of:
22 automatics are known to be ammo sensitive. They just need premium ammo to work. 22 revolvers will shoot almost anything. So revolvers can be even cheaper to feed. Ed

m657

Buckeye
If you're considering a wheel gun, be sure to take a look at the new Single 10!!!

I've got one that works really nice....and with the factory fiber-optic sights even my geezer eyes can see the front sight.

The only problem is now having to come up with a new excuse for when I ~don't ~ hit Bulls Eye every time!!!

I like the simplicity of a revolver and the 10-round capacity without the endless need for extra magazines.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
I started shooting last Feb. I took a wrong turn with a Taurus 992 which died after about 1000 rounds. Then I got a MKIII 5.5" bull barrel and never looked back. To date I have put over 12000 rounds through that little guy and I can outshoot most of the guys who show up at the range in heavier calibers too.

Not saying the MKIII is the only way to go but you cant go wrong with it. It's inexpensive. Has a reputation for great accuracy and reliability. Eats almost any ammo. The design has been around forever. You can find all the spare parts you need. The action is simple and not delicate. The only complaint is that it's a pig to field strip - not that bad really but it does take some practice. Also, I don't usually mind mag safetys but on the MKIII it makes it a PITA to field strip so I removed that mechanism.